January 2022 "The Guardians" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post January 01, 2022 11:41 AM

(Since this playlist has arrived but its thread wasn't created yet, I've done it myself. You're welcome, Xephyr!)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3w8wz5HBOoks78mYzldAMq

01. Traveler - "Starbreaker" (from Traveler)

02. Helloween - "Robot King" (from Helloween)

03. Rhapsody of Fire - "Glory for Salvation" (from Glory for Salvation)

04. Angel Witch - "Free Man" (from Angel Witch)

05. HAMMER KING - "Hammerschlag" (from Hammer King)

06. Pharaoh - "Lost in the Waves" (from The Powers That Be)

07. Riot City - "Burn the Night" (from Burn the Night)

08. Smoulder - "The Sword Woman" (from Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring)

09. Black Sites - "Sword of Orion" (from Untrue)

10. Saxon - "Sniper" (from Thunderbolt)

11. After Forever - "Emphasis" (from Decipher)

12. Kamelot - "Rhydin" (from Siege Perilous)

13. Symphony X - "Pharaoh" (from The Divine Wings of Tragedy)

14. Christian Muenzner - "Wing Commander" (from Path of the Hero)

15. ANGRA - "Wuthering Heights" (from Angels Cry)

16. Seven Spires - "Dare to Live" (from Gods of Debauchery)

17. Dragonland - "Supernova" (from Astronomy)

18. Tanith - "Cassini's Deadly Plunge" (from In Another Time)

19. Cirith Ungol - "Chaos Rising" (from Paradise Lost)

20. The Night Eternal - "Son Of Sin" (from Moonlit Cross)

21. TOWER - "Prince of Darkness" (from Shock to the System)

22. Enforcer - "Katana" (from Diamonds)

23. Herzel - "Unis Dans La Gloire" (from Unis Dans La Gloire)

January 01, 2022 05:53 PM

Thank you, I was away visiting a buddy for New Years and got home extremely late. Hope this one is a bit more balanced this month. 

January 02, 2022 02:06 AM

Glad to help, Xephyr! Here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Rhapsody of Fire - "Glory for Salvation" (from Glory for Salvation)

4.5/5. The title track for the latest Rhapsody of Fire album blasts your speakers with Roberto De Micheli's technical guitar lightning.

Saxon - "Sniper" (from Thunderbolt)

4/5. Probably the heaviest track I've commented in the playlist so far and the album the song was in, sounding slightly heavier than Judas Priest and making sure your hand stays clenched into a fist.

After Forever - "Emphasis" (from Decipher)

4.5/5. I have quite a lot to say about this song while commenting in the second morning of the new year. In 2005, After Forever was touring with other symphonic metal bands, Therion and Nightwish, shortly before Tarja Turunen was fired from the latter band. Then in a series of events lasting several years, Anette Olzon became Nightwish's front-woman, and Nightwish's first album with Anette was released on the same year as the final album from After Forever before their split-up. A few of the members moved on to different bands including supergroup Mayan and Floor's short-lived project ReVamp. I said short-lived because when Anette left Nightwish, guess who became the new singer? Floor Jansen! After releasing her first album with Nightwish, she ended ReVamp and put all her focus on Nightwish. Anyway, an epic godly intro starts this beautiful song that has an excellent message. Those symphonic gothic metal memories remain in my high-school-age days that are now replaced with my young adult reality of heavier metal genres. And by the way, Floor Jansen and Mark Jansen (the latter later leaving this band to start his own, Epica) are not related. Coincidence? Definitely yes!

Kamelot - "Rhydin" (from Siege Perilous)

5/5. Another fantastic song back in those life-changing days! I love the vocals of Roy Khan, though not much as those of their new singer Tommy Karevik.

Symphony X - "Pharaoh" (from The Divine Wings of Tragedy)

4.5/5. Slowing things down a bit in a bombastic way again is this heavy mid-tempo beast. Once again, the chorus is unique and catchy at the same time. Allen's manipulating vocal performance is magnificent, especially in that chorus.

Christian Muenzner - "Wing Commander" (from Path of the Hero)

4/5. This one is very cool and all, but it has put me right in the middle of two genres I used to enjoy but not so much now. I haven't found any different neoclassical metal artists or bands that I've enjoyed in 5 years now because my Guardians tolerance isn't the same as it would've been back then. On the other hand, this dude has played for several tech-death bands; Necrophagist, Defeated Sanity, Spawn of Possession, Obscura, and I've already made my move out of that genre. Quite a tough call there...

ANGRA - "Wuthering Heights" (from Angels Cry)

5/5. I miss this man, the beautifully singing Andre Matos. It's been over two and a half years since his passing. I can still hear him in this nostalgic music from when I was a power metal-listening teenager, and I'm still not tired of it. Andre shall be immortalized for his vocal range that rarely any other man can have. This song with a homesick vibe I love so much! A masterful heavenly voice! It's so sad to find out about brilliant music artists dropping out of life. His time with Angra was his greatest vocal height, and this song brings back such good memories. I still love it!!! He was one of the kings of Brazilian metal. This is a cover of a song by Kate Bush, and not only does it do the original justice, but I think it might've inspired the name of Danish progressive power metal band Wuthering Heights. Andre Matos was a star that was put out too soon, deserving worldwide attention. A fantastic singer who left us with a big loss. His beautiful voice really keeps up with the rhythm to level up this awesome song with his transcending talent. His legacy shall never be forgotten. This sensational magnificence fits very well in this Guardians playlist. With Andre, Angra had quite a dominating era with not just Angels Cry but also their next two albums, Holy Land and Fireworks. Anyone finding a beautifully singing maestro? Well done...

Seven Spires - "Dare to Live" (from Gods of Debauchery)

4.5/5. This one's excellent in a majority of aspects, including the fact that many of the members are young and talented. Another great combo of female vocals (singing and screaming) and metal guitar! The lyrics are quite motivational; "We all yearn for something when a fire burns inside." "Will you take the chance?" The song is quite f***ing great with extraordinary talent to admire, and a cool one for the second day of the new year (as of commenting). An insanely excellent song balancing heavy and melodic. Think of this like a mix of Arch Enemy, Dream Theater, Amaranthe, and Epica! The female growling could've had some more work though.

Dragonland - "Supernova" (from Astronomy)

5/5. One of the Swedish masters of mixing classical with metal has taken a break from their fantasy saga to explore more philosophical themes in this album, Astronomy. Absolutely amazing magic all around!

January 19, 2022 06:05 PM

Strongest list yet for me Xephs!  Strong trad / heavy metal vein running through this month's list I thought. The first ten songs (barring Pharaoh) all got added to my "liked" tracks.  Angel Witch, Smoulder, Saxon, Cirith Ungol and Enforcer are all great inclusions also.  I did skip most of the power/symphonic power metal tracks as they got going and had very little time for any of Angra who to me just sound whiny but I didn't mind that Rhapsody of Fire track in all honesty.  Hell, I even got on with that Christian Muenzner track.

I got a real Angel Witch vibe from The Night Eternal and this was what caught my attention to nominate them for inclusion this month.  Tower are a band seeing lots of praise at present on various blogs and sites and I am somewhat enamored with their strong female vocal delivery giving me lots of Chastain and Warlock vibes, especially with that retro sound they have got going on.

Thanks for putting together Xeph.