November 2021 "The Gateway" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post October 31, 2021 07:00 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7aY7WjCGySb3Lb4x79Dk5T?si=6e6bf1f07242421a

Tracklisting:

01. While She Sleeps – “Anti-Social” (from “So What?”, 2019) [Submitted by Andi]

02. Papa Roach – “Time & Time Again” (from “Lovehatetragedy”, 2002)

03. Body Count – “Institutionalized 2014” (from “Manslaughter”, 2014)

04. Disturbed – “A Reason To Fight” (from “Evolution”, 2018) [Submitted by Andi]

05. The Gentle Men – “2004 Breakup (Remastered)” (from :The Evolution Of Tears”, 2021)

06. Lacuna Coil – “Closer” (from “Karmacode”, 2006) [Submitted by Andi]

07. Linkin Park – “Pushing Me Away” (from “Hybrid Theory”, 2000) [Submitted by Andi]

08. The Bread Scientists – “!!!” (from “Troposphere”, 2021)

09. Katatonia – “Lethean” (from “Dead End Kings”, 2012) [Submitted by Daniel]

10. Stereomud – “Pain” (from “Perfect Self”, 2001)

11. Sleep Token – “Alkaline” (from “This Place Will Become Your Tomb”, 2021)

12. Incubus – “Take Me To Your Leader” (from “Enjoy Incubus” E.P., 1997)

13. Sugar Ray – “Mean Machine” (from “Lemonade & Brownies”, 1995)

14. Lantlos – “Dream Machine” (from “Wildhund”, 2021)

15. Otep – “The Lord Is My Weapon” (from “Jihad” E.P., 2001)

16. Psiheya – “W.W.W. (Wой Wаленький Wир)” (from “Герой Поколения Бархат”, 2001)

17. Staind – “Mudshovel” (from “Dysfunction”, 1999)

18. Chevelle – “Verruckt” (from “Niratias”, 2021)

19. Beartooth – “The Past Is Dead” (from “Below”, 2021)

20. Anthrax – “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath” (from “I’m The Man” E.P., 1987)

21. Linea 77 – “Moka” (from “Ketchup Suicide”, 2001)

22. Boy Hits Car – “As I Watch The Sun Fuck The Ocean” (from “Boy Hits Car”, 2001)

23. 40 Below Summer – “Falling Down” (from “Invitation To The Dance”, 2001)

24. Green Carnation – “The Quiet Offspring” (from “The Quiet Offspring”, 2005) [Submitted by Andi]

25. Mushroomhead – “Solitaire/Unraveling” (from “M3”, 1999)

26. Metallica – “Frantic” (from “St. Anger”, 2003)

27. Atreyu – “Baptize” (from “Baptize”, 2021)

28. Mass Hysteria – “Furia” (from “Contraddiction”, 1999)

29. Love & Death – “Down” (from “Perfectly Preserved”, 2021)

30. Architects – “Meteor” (from “For Those That Wish To Exist”, 2021)

31. Reveille – “What You Got” (from “Bleed The Sky”, 2001)

32. Spiritbox – “Holy Roller” (from “Eternal Blue”, 2021)

November 01, 2021 02:27 AM

My thoughts on some tracks:

While She Sleeps – “Anti-Social” (from “So What?”, 2019)

5/5. Let's start this playlist with a song with some of the most honesty in humanity. I love this, especially the f***ing catchy chorus! Probably the best of its album So What?, with great lyrics. The Sleeps Society awakens!!

Papa Roach – “Time & Time Again” (from “Lovehatetragedy”, 2002)

4.5/5. I remember in my pre-high-school-days, this was one of the alt-metal bands my brother and I used to listen to, but mainly just their hit single "Last Resort". This song, "Time & Time Again" is what I think should've been part of The Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, and I think it might just be my favorite song from them besides the nostalgia-inducing "Last Resort". There's a bit of a Faith No More influence in there. As great as a well-balanced diet of pizza and salad!

Body Count – “Institutionalized 2014” (from “Manslaughter”, 2014)

4/5. Is there hope for the Gateway humanity?! Rap metal is not really what I'm up for when expanding my Gateway palate. This is still kinda great though, revisiting a Suicidal Tendencies classic. Ice-T rants angrily in the verses with lyrics worth laughing at, like for example, "I COULDNT GIVE A F*** IF YOU EAT SAWDUST, MOTHERF***ER!!!!" and a tangent about whether or not ham could kill you if you shoot it out of a gun. This is guaranteed to wake up the neighbors with either the music's loudness or your laughing or both. A wicked tune for people wanting to blow up their anger like a f***ing deadly bomb, though I might not return to this band anytime soon.

Disturbed – “A Reason To Fight” (from “Evolution”, 2018)

3.5/5. Then after that massive rant-fest, you begin to wonder if there is a reason to fight, or if it would just lead to something worse. This tear-jerking ballad is good for any anxiety-ridden person, like I was a couple months ago.

The Gentle Men – “2004 Breakup (Remastered)” (from :The Evolution Of Tears”, 2021)

4/5. This is another good song to enjoy, reminiscent of the alt-rock/metal you might find in the year 2004. Nicely done!

Lacuna Coil – “Closer” (from “Karmacode”, 2006)

4.5/5. Lacuna Coil was one of the bands I've left behind in my gothic/doom metal departure, and that's too bad because of their later alt-metal albums like this one, Karmacode, the album with the slightly nightmare-inducing cover art. This is an amazing song that actually has some Europop vibes that might've influenced Amaranthe. Years since my last full listen of this song, and it remains immortal in my memory. I enjoy the bad-a** bass intro and outro, though the guitars are still worth bringing in. These lyrics hit me like a train in this awesome song, especially when the first chorus starts at the one-minute mark. This might be tied with Disturbed's "Stricken" as two historical modern alt-metal songs for me, and they still have that energy in subsequent decades. Guitar Hero players know that song for sure...

Linkin Park – “Pushing Me Away” (from “Hybrid Theory”, 2000)

4/5. The perfect formula of the Hybrid Theory singles continue once more in the closing song of the album, which I still like since first listening nearly a decade ago. Oh how I wish that was a single...

The Bread Scientists – “!!!” (from “Troposphere”, 2021)

3.5/5. ??? This track is sick (as in killer) and all, but too experimental. Next!

Katatonia – “Lethean” (from “Dead End Kings”, 2012)

4/5. Similarly with Lacuna Coil, Katatonia's first 3 albums were in The Fallen, which is why they're another band I've left behind in my gothic/doom metal departure, but later they switched to alt-metal while maintaining the gloomy lyrics. Beautiful vocals as the cold shivering tree of depression continues to grow.

Green Carnation – “The Quiet Offspring” (from “The Quiet Offspring”, 2005)

3.5/5. I skipped ahead to track 24 for one more of my submissions, a song from Green Carnation's hard rock/alt-metal album that was part of their constant style-switching. Not really the best, but a good one for those who wanna hear that kind of style much better executed than Metallica's Load albums.