October 2021 "The Gateway" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post September 30, 2021 07:48 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7aY7WjCGySb3Lb4x79Dk5T?si=e45e1bd1c3b2455b

Tracklisting:

01. While She Sleeps – “No Defeat For The Brave” (from “Sleeps Society”, 2021)

02. Dry Kill Logic – “Rot” (from “The Darker Side Of Nonsense”, 2001)

03. Body Count – “My Way” (from “Violent Demise: The Last Days”, 1997)

04. Serj Tankian – “Harakiri” (from “Harakiri”, 2011)

05. Living Colour – “Information Overload” (from “Time’s Up”, 1990) [Submitted by Vinny]

06. Sôber – “Diez años” (from “Paradÿsso”, 2002)

07. Katatonia – “Behind The Blood” (from “City Burials”, 2020) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

08. Lantlos – “Cocoon Tree House” (from “Wildhund”, 2021)

09. Godsmack – “Keep Away” (from “Godsmack”, 1998)

10. Linkin Park – “From The Inside” (from “Meteora”, 2003) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. Bad Wolves – “Zombie” (from “Disobey”, 2018) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

12. Mudvayne – “Cultivate” (from “The Beginning Of All Things To End”, 2001)

13. Atreyu – “Catastrophe” (from “Baptize”, 2021)

14. The Apex Theory – “Apossibly” (from “Topsy-Turvy”, 2002)

15. Flaw – “Only The Strong” (from Through The Eyes”, 2001)

16. Kittie – “We Are The Lamb” (from “I’ve Failed You”, 2011)

17. Blindside – “Invert” (from “Blindside”, 1997)

18. Saliva – “Click Click Boom” (from “Every Six Seconds”, 2001)

19. Clawfinger – “Out To Get Me” (from “A Whole Lot Of Nothing”, 2001)

20. Chevelle – “Ghost & Razor” (from “Niratias”, 2021)

21. Architects – “An Ordinary Extinction” (from “For Those That Wish To Exist”, 2021)

22. Sevendust – “The Day I Tried To Live” (from “Blood & Stone”, 2020)

23. Hamlet – “Antes y después” (from “Insomnio”, 1998)

24. Disturbed – “Ten Thousand Fists” (from “Ten Thousand Fists”, 2005) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

25. Entombed – “Addiction King” (from “Same Difference”, 1998)

26. The Bread Scientists – “Slug” (from “Troposphere”, 2021)

27. Hacktivist – “Cold Shoulders” (from “Hacktivist” E.P., 2012)

28. Tallah – “We, The Sad” (from “Matriphagy”, 2020) [Submitted by Daniel]

29. Beartooth – “Below” (from “Below”, 2021)

October 01, 2021 01:29 AM

My thoughts on some tracks:

While She Sleeps – “No Defeat For The Brave” (from “Sleeps Society”, 2021)

5/5. All right, another home run for me with a While She Sleeps track to begin this playlist! A very good and meaningful song to like, though it might get confusing to hear Deryck Whibley of Sum 41 in an alt-metalcore song. Still a perfect collaboration!

Katatonia – “Behind The Blood” (from “City Burials”, 2020)

4/5. This one displays guitarist Roger Öjersson's amazing rock leads in a dark yet uplifting atmosphere, but I might soon run away from the darkness of the band doomier Fallen days. Jonas Renkse's lines in the driving chorus make that song a definite near-highlight.

Linkin Park – “From The Inside” (from “Meteora”, 2003)

4.5/5. Not the most popular song of the album, but my absolute favorite of the album Meteora. This song takes on a heavier side of rock, as Chester sings smoothly in the verses (along with Mike's rapping), gets coherently stronger in the chorus, and finally reaching the repetitive yet good brutal bridge (in the same level as the "SHUT UP!!" bridge from "One Step Closer"). The guitar is not really the best, but everything else makes up for it.

Bad Wolves – “Zombie” (from “Disobey”, 2018)

5/5. Bad Wolves is a band I consider part of the category of alt-metal bands my brother enjoys and I used to, and even though they obviously didn't exist during my peak in the category nearly a decade ago, I enjoyed a few songs from this band when my brother listened to them at around the time of this album's release despite sounding like part of said category. This cover is absolutely incredible, an epic rendition of the Cranberries' smash hit song! That group's lead singer Dolores O'Riordan was going to record the vocals herself, but tragically passed away right before she had the chance. Bad Wolves made the cover anyway with their lead vocalist Tommy Vext as a tribute. This might just surpass Disturbed's "The Sound of Silence" as the best modern alt-rock/metal cover of a classic hit. RIP Dolores...

Disturbed – “Ten Thousand Fists” (from “Ten Thousand Fists”, 2005)

4.5/5. Another killer classic from my pre-high-school (not that I was ever in high school) days of following my brother's footsteps in alt-rock/metal. The funny thing is, while this was (and still is) one of my favorite Disturbed songs, of all the songs from the band my brother likes, this isn't one of them. Perhaps he wasn't too fond of the strange intro. Anyway, this is a much more meaningful song than, say, "Another Way to Die" that is from Asylum but sounds like an outtake for this album. "Ten Thousand Fists" is an amazing song, but like the lyrics say, "If this disturbs you, then walk away."