August 2021 "The Gateway" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post July 31, 2021 07:54 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7aY7WjCGySb3Lb4x79Dk5T?si=0c4c308bd0a943a7

Tracklisting:

01. Beartooth – “Devastation” (from “Below”, 2021)

02. Tallah – “The Silo” (from “Matriphagy”, 2020) [Submitted by Daniel]

03. P.O.D. – “Breathe Babylon” (from “Brown”, 1996)

04. Zillatron – “The Passion Continues” (from “Lord Of The Harvest”, 1993)

05. Bring Me The Horizon – “One Day the Only Butterflies Left Will Be in Your Chest as You March Towards Your Death” (from “Post Human: Survival Horror” E.P., 2020)

06. Thought Industry – “Fairy” (from “Outer Space Is Just a Martini Away”, 1996)

07. Acid Drinkers – “Acidofilia” (from “Acidofilia”, 2002)

08. Alice In Chains – “So Far Under” (from “Rainier Fog”, 2018) [Submitted by Vinny]

09. The Bread Scientists – “Cosmonaut” (from “Troposphere”, 2021)

10. Snot – “Absent” (from “Strait Up”, 2000)

11. Project 86 – “Your Heroes Are Dead” (from “Truthless Heroes”, 2002)

12. The Union Underground – “Turn Me On “Mr. Deadman”” (from “…An Education In Rebellion”, 2000)

13. Dead By April – “When You Wake Up” (from “Incomparable”, 2011)

14. Primer 55 – “Loose” (from “Introduction To Mayhem”, 2000)

15. Coldrain – “Revolution” (from “The Side Effects”, 2019) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

16. Architects – “Giving Blood” (from “For Those That Wish To Exist”, 2021)

17. Serj Tankian – “Elasticity” (from “Elasticity” E.P., 2021)

18. Clutch – “Far Country” (from “Pitchfork” E.P., 1991)

19. Galactic Cowboys – “If I Were A Killer” (from “Space In Your Face”, 1993)

20. Sevendust – “Against The World” (from “Blood & Stone”, 2020)

21. Chevelle – “Pistol Star (Gravity Heals)” (from “Niratias”, 2021)

22. Angela Martyr – “On The Edge Of Next Time” (from “The November Harvest”, 2016) [Submitted by Sonny92]

23. Dir en Grey – “Ugly” (from “Six Ugly” E.P., 2002)

24. Mass Hysteria – “Donnez-vous la peine” (from “Le bien-être et la paix”, 1997)

25. Mushroomhead – “Bwomp” (from “SuperBuick”, 1996)

26. 서태지 – “울트라맨이야” (from “서태지 6집 [울트라맨이야]”, 2000)

27. Clawfinger – “Do What I Say” (from “Use Your Brain”, 1995)

28. While She Sleeps – “You Are All You Need” (from “Sleeps Society”, 2021)

29. One Minute Silence – “Holy Man” (from “Buy Now… Saved Later”, 2000)

30. Slipknot – “People = Shit” (from “Iowa”, 2001)

August 02, 2021 12:31 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (reviewing the majority of this playlist to test my strength in The Gateway):

Bring Me The Horizon – “One Day the Only Butterflies Left Will Be in Your Chest as You March Towards Your Death” (from “Post Human: Survival Horror” E.P., 2020)

4/5. Starting my playlist journey with probably the longest song title since that Underoath song used in a TheOdd1sOut video, Bring Me the Horizon continues their brand new surprises. After a thrashy screamo ride with the kawaii Babymetal and a good collaboration with the Nova Twins, we arrive in a beautiful soft duet with Evanescence's Amy Lee. I still miss the heavier darkness of Count Your Blessings though, maybe they can have more of that in the next installment of Post Human...

Thought Industry – “Fairy” (from “Outer Space Is Just a Martini Away”, 1996)

3.5/5. This one is pretty good, having some vibes from a similar band Failure. However, the music doesn't quite reach the height of greatness and is probably staying buried in the deep archives of eternity.

Acid Drinkers – “Acidofilia” (from “Acidofilia”, 2002)

3/5. This is fine, but I prefer to stay out of this acid and chill in my pleasant reality.

Alice In Chains – “So Far Under” (from “Rainier Fog”, 2018)

3.5/5. Props to this one having f***ing killer lyrics such as in the chorus, "So much under hell, fought hard where I fell". However, from the two and a half minute mark onward, the music gets a bit repetitive, but still good nonetheless.

The Bread Scientists – “Cosmonaut” (from “Troposphere”, 2021)

4/5. Still can't accept the instrumental shoegazing alt-rock/metal sound either despite how good it is. Next!

Snot – “Absent” (from “Strait Up”, 2000)

4.5/5. This is one of only two tracks in Strait Up to have the vocals of Lynn Strait. He was killed in a car crash in late 1998, along with the group's mascot, his dog Dobbs ("I told him not to bring his dog in his car. I told him!"). RIP Lynn and Dobbs... ); I'm proud of what he has done. Probably one of the best tracks from this band...

Project 86 – “Your Heroes Are Dead” (from “Truthless Heroes”, 2002)

4/5. This one I also like. Good work! They really have good amounts of P.O.D. influences here, especially the Christian direction the band was intending, which means that they have to cut down the swearing that's common in most other nu metal bands. I still prefer Demon Hunter...

The Union Underground – “Turn Me On “Mr. Deadman”” (from “…An Education In Rebellion”, 2000)

4.5/5. I seem to like the underground bands more, and that's good because it helps keep my rep. While I like experimenting with song editing, censoring the swearing in the clean version kinda disrupts the flow, which is why the explicit version is better for anyone who can handle swearing.

Dead By April – “When You Wake Up” (from “Incomparable”, 2011)

5/5. Now this is an underrated song compared to everything else in this playlist! It really has waken me up more than coffee after waking up early in the morning to do all this commenting. An awesome song to listen to during COVID lockdowns. Probably favorite song in this playlist! At over the two and a half minute mark, there's a different hit in the instrumentation with trance-filled synths. This is incredible, and that's no lie!

Primer 55 – “Loose” (from “Introduction To Mayhem”, 2000)

4.5/5. Holy sh*t, that's great energetic beat for a rap metal song! Good for if you wanna throw and break stuff in Doom Eternal or any other violent video game. They could really f***ing axe-kill MTV for not letting them in. RIP J-Sin...

Coldrain – “Revolution” (from “The Side Effects”, 2019)

5/5. What follows is the best standout here that's beyond d*mn right good, and what got me interested in Coldrain when a friend from the outside world showed me that song and mentioned that it was used as the theme song for Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs 2. What an anthem! As always, there are strong screams and clean vocals that marks Coldrain's signature vocal department from Masato. There's even a short rapping verse that works better than even Linkin Park.

Architects – “Giving Blood” (from “For Those That Wish To Exist”, 2021)

5/5. This is another contender for my favorite song in this playlist! Especially in almost the entire second half, like holy sh*t!! Amazing energy and good vibes this song has. The music from this band and Dead By April shall meet me...

Serj Tankian – “Elasticity” (from “Elasticity” E.P., 2021)

4.5/5. I love this fun song, and I would recommend to any fan of Tankian and System of a Down, but it's too hard for me to take it seriously with all this scatting in the verses, that's what detracts the score away from perfection.

Clutch – “Far Country” (from “Pitchfork” E.P., 1991)

4/5. I enjoy the p*ssed-off vibe here, but that's about it really.

Galactic Cowboys – “If I Were A Killer” (from “Space In Your Face”, 1993)

4.5/5. This one is quite an amazing one from 28 years ago, a powerful monster! The guitar really picks it up. If I were a killer, I would kill anyone who hates this song, but I won't, because I'm not a killer and will never be one. One of the rare great 90s alt-metal songs!

Sevendust – “Against The World” (from “Blood & Stone”, 2020)

4.5/5. Another month, another song from Sevendust's latest album! This one has a powerful chorus and really reflects upon their 2000s albums. I like it, and it makes me wonder why Sevendust should've been more popular. There are awesome tempo changes as well to bring the fire. The golden lyrics keep it real. As I've said before, my brother enjoys this band along with other alt-rock/metal bands, and with unreal creativity going on, this would be another good song for my bro to listen to. He likes this genre more than I do. Light it up!

Chevelle – “Pistol Star (Gravity Heals)” (from “Niratias”, 2021)

4/5. Chevelle is another band my brother finds amazing, and he has played one or two of their songs on his guitar. This is a great song for him to listen to, despite the lyrics not being too strong or understandable.

Angela Martyr – “On The Edge Of Next Time” (from “The November Harvest”, 2016)

2.5/5. Um...no. Sorry, Sonny. Maybe next time....

Dir en Grey – “Ugly” (from “Six Ugly” E.P., 2002)

5/5. Hammering riff in goth-ish nu metal. F***ing love this! For a song titled "Ugly", it's way more beautiful and trippy. You just gotta love the music these experimental alt-metal masters from Japan have unleashed!