July 2021 "The Gateway" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post June 30, 2021 08:27 PM

Tracklisting:

01. G/Z/R – “Drive Boy, Shooting” (from “Plastic Planet”, 1995)
02. Spineshank – “The Height Of Callousness” (from “The Height Of Callousness”, 2000) [Submitted by Vinny]
03. Fever 333 – “Burn It” (from “Strength In Numb333rs”, 2019)
04. Stone Sour – “Bother” (from “Stone Sour”, 2002)
05. Dub War – “Strike It” (from “Pain”, 1995)
06. Linkin Park – “Guilty All The Same” (from “The Hunting Party”, 2014) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
07. Sevendust – “Criminal” (from “Blood & Stone”, 2020)
08. Luxtorpeda – “Autystyczny” (from “Luxtorpeda”, 2011)
09. Grey Waters – “Below The Ever Setting Sun” (from “Below The Ever Setting Sun” E.P. (2010)
10. Architects – “Dead Butterflies” (from “For Those That Wish To Exist”, 2021)
11. Infectious Grooves – “Turtle Wax (Funkaholics Anonymous)” (from “Sarsippius’ Ark (Limited Edition)”, 1993)
12. Serj Tankian – “How Many Times?” (from “Elasticity” E.P., 2021)
13. 36 Crazyfists – “Slit Wrist Theory” (from “Bitterness The Star”, 2002)
14. Bring Me The Horizon – “1x1” (from “Post Human: Survival Horror” E.P., 2020)
15. The Bread Scientists – “Vaporous” (from “Troposphere”, 2021)
16. Korn – “Love & Meth” (from “The Paradigm Shift”, 2013)
17. In Flames – “Deliver Us” (from “Sounds Of A Playground Fading”, 2011)
18. Disturbed – “Prayer” (from “Believe”, 2002)
19. Stuck Mojo – “Not Promised Tomorrow” (from “Snappin’ Necks”, 1995)
20. Chevelle – “So Long, Mother Earth” (from “Niratias”, 2021)
21. Deftones – “Urantia” (from “Ohms”, 2020) [Submitted by Daniel]
22. Morgoth – “Last Laugh” (from “Feel Sorry For The Fanatic”, 1996)
23. System Of A Down – “Innervision” (from “Steal This Album!”, 2002)
24. Mushroomhead – “43” (from “Mushroomhead”, 1995)
25. Taproot – “Again & Again” (from “Gift”, 2000)
26. Nonpoint – “What A Day” (from “Statement”, 2000)
27. Kittie – “Charlotte” (from “Spit”, 2000)
28. Suicide Silence – “Doris” (from “Suicide Silence”, 2017)
29. While She Sleeps – “Sleeps Society” (from “Sleeps Society”, 2021)
30. Tallah – “Red Light” (from “Matriphagy”, 2020)

July 01, 2021 12:23 PM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my one request):

Linkin Park – “Guilty All The Same” (from “The Hunting Party”, 2014)

5/5. This was pretty much the last ever song I've heard from Linkin Park in my brother's alt-rock/metal footsteps before fading out into my "real" metal interest, and I still love it to this day because of how metal it is! There's a minute-and-a-half intro of dramatic guitar buildup, and in the second half of that intro is a power metal-ish melody similar to Avenged Sevenfold, before Bennington's verses roll in where he really unleashes his rage. There's a rapping bridge, but this is the 3rd track in a row to have rapping, and it could get a bit boring for the heavier metalheads to hear Shinoda rapping in so many songs. How did they prevent that problem? Enter hip-hop legend Rakim who shines with his attack on the industry ("The media, the game, to me you're all the same, you're guilty!").

Bring Me The Horizon – “1x1” (from “Post Human: Survival Horror” E.P., 2020)

4/5. A good song to love, featuring the Nova Twins! Though several other songs, like especially "Can You Feel My Heart", still reign in both the level of mainstream popularity and my BMTH favorite list.

In Flames – “Deliver Us” (from “Sounds Of A Playground Fading”, 2011)

4.5/5. One more song from a band I've turned away from due to my death metal departure. The style widely covers steady beat, lyrical rhyme and catchy soloing. This was one of my favorite In Flames tracks from their current alt-metal era. Some listeners might be brought here by the Saint Row IV soundtrack. A great experience, yet a recently distant memory that I've moved from.

July 11, 2021 11:05 AM

My thoughts on some more tracks:

Sevendust – “Criminal” (from “Blood & Stone”, 2020)

4.5/5. Sevendust is one of my brother's recent favorite bands, and this song is a downright soft one that would fit greatly as a single. What an emotional blessing! The poetic lyrics and powerful harmony help fuel up this amazingly written song. Beautiful! I've listened to a few songs that I sent to my brother when he asked to transfer some of their songs to him, and just listening to this one, this is probably the greatest and most underrated song in this band's 25-year career. I just love the harmony being so stellar. They've really nailed the fantastic song! They even had a streaming concert to celebrate the album's release. This heavy metal/alt-rock band should be more appreciated after make a d*mn right good song. It might even work well as the soundtrack to an emotional scene in My Hero Academia. This song shows what a f***ing solid band Sevendust is for fans of their sound. But does it get me hooked on this band, along with other such bands like Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed? NAH. They're for my bro...

Luxtorpeda – “Autystyczny” (from “Luxtorpeda”, 2011)

3.5/5. I don't understand this Polish-sung song at all, but I like just a small bit of it. Despite having the alt-metal label, this sounds closer to stoner-ish hard rock, so I wouldn't count on this band being on this site.

Grey Waters – “Below The Ever Setting Sun” (from “Below The Ever Setting Sun” E.P. (2010)

4.5/5. This one has more mind-blowing atmosphere. Amazing song with a fantastic outro! This might be a great song to listen to forget about the death metal past I left behind and remember something different. It sounds like what would happen if Woods of Ypres is still active and their founder David Gold is still alive but moved in the same alt-metal path as Katatonia. Still I would have to finalize some stylistic changes before going down this path...

Architects – “Dead Butterflies” (from “For Those That Wish To Exist”, 2021)

5/5. I love this! Best alt-metalcore song in ages!! I've been trying to find my key to interest in this band since I first starting diving into metalcore in my late teens, and with this killer song, I might just have the chance!

Infectious Grooves – “Turtle Wax (Funkaholics Anonymous)” (from “Sarsippius’ Ark (Limited Edition)”, 1993)

4/5. This one is a static b*ll shock-like wake-up call of funk-groove. This is probably my favorite funk metal song, and by that I mean it's far better than what other bands of the genre like Mr. Bungle would make. The awesome riff and good groove are what make this song OK for me. Of course, this isn't 1997 anymore, most metalheads want something more than the funk f***ing up metal back then.

Serj Tankian – “How Many Times?” (from “Elasticity” E.P., 2021)

3.5/5. Serj is known as an alt-metal genius and part of one of what many consider the master bands of the genre. I say it starts fantastic in the intro sounding like an emotional ballad, but then it fakes its way into a mid-tempo song. Seems a bit anti-climatic...

36 Crazyfists – “Slit Wrist Theory” (from “Bitterness The Star”, 2002)

5/5. Definitely an underrated band that should have more fame through the nearly two decades since its release. Seriously I love this!! Though the nu metal sound would p*ss off many metal purists. I would probably do a vocal cover of this song to test my vocal range if not for suggestive lyrics and swearing. This amazing song has an iconic riff. Some music channels shorten the song name to "Wrist Theory", most likely to eliminate the reference of self-harm/suicide, but also probably because "Slit" looks like a mix of two S-swears. The amazing vocals have a bit of an emo vibe especially when in the "Lace me up" part. I might just return to listening to this band full-time...

The Bread Scientists – “Vaporous” (from “Troposphere”, 2021)

4/5. I can't deny how good this song is, but I can't accept the instrumental shoegazing alt-rock/metal sound either. Next!

Korn – “Love & Meth” (from “The Paradigm Shift”, 2013)

3/5. A nu metal song promoting drugs, specifically raw meth? What the h*ll, man?! Look, I am sober when it comes to drugs, having never taken any drugs, and this isn't the stoner rock of Luxtorpeda, this is nu metal! And not the kind of nu metal made well by Linkin Park. Korn is just not my thing, OK? I'll still give the song points for its heaviness.

Disturbed – “Prayer” (from “Believe”, 2002)

4.5/5. Let's wrap up my commenting with a song from a Disturbed album that my brother and I have probably listened to the least. I can't believe what I missed nearly a decade ago! This is better than the overrated single "Down With the Sickness" and has bit of a Dope vibe. The singing in the vocals sound heavenly. In fact, this could even be an actual prayer about the hopeless struggles in life. Hope you like this song when I send it to you, my bro!

July 11, 2021 12:23 PM
As usual with The Gateway playlist I have to sift through a lot of stuff I don't get on with to find some unexpected moments of entertainment.  The moments this month came from Serj Tankian, Korn, Infectious Grooves and Grey Waters.