Metal Academy Radio - "The Gateway" Playlist October 2020

First Post September 30, 2020 09:25 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5S1ULIQdK4Q9uqgGTJbUZR?si=CcB-F9oJTcGWXrQwvczAGA

Tracklisting:

01. Primus – “My Name Is Mud” (from “Pork Soda”, 1993)

02. Dir en Grey – “Phenomenon” (from “Arche”, 2014)

03. Bad Brains – “Re-ignition” (from “I Against I”, 1986)

04. Soundgarden – “Hands All Over” (from “Louder Than Love”, 1989)

05. Helmet – “Unsung” (from “Meantime”, 1992)

06. Kazik Na Zywo – “Stalem sie sprawca zgonu mojego taty z powodu mej dumy z brata” (from “Porozumiene ponad podzialami”, 1995)

07. Therapy? – “Unbeliever” (from “Troublegum”, 1994)

08. Katatonia – “My Twin” (from “The Great Cold Distance”, 2006)

09. Faith No More – “Epic” (from “The Real Thing”, 1989)

10. Linkin Park – “In The End” (from “Hybrid Theory”, 2000)

11. Dog Fashion Disco – “The Darkest Days” (from “Adultery”, 2006)

12. Sevendust – “Denial” (from “Home”, 1999)

13. Alice In Chains – “Grind” (from “Alice In Chains”, 1995)

14. Fleshwater – “Linda Claire” (from “Demo”, 2020)

15. Stuck Mojo – “Raise The Deadman” (from “Declaration Of A Headhunter”, 2000)

16. The Devin Townsend Project – “Hyperdrive!” (from “Addicted”, 2009)

17. In This Moment – “As Above, So Below” (from “Mother”, 2020)

18. Higher Power – “Seamless” (from “27 Miles Underwater”, 2020)

19. System Of A Down – “Chop Suey!” (from “Toxicity”, 2001)

20. Korn – “Falling Away From Me” (from “Issues”, 1999)

21. Deftones – “Rosemary” (from “Koi no yokan”, 2012)

22. Red – “Cauterize” (from “Declaration”, 2020)

23. Fair To Midland – “Whiskey & Ritalin” (from “Arrows & Anchors”, 2011)

24. Love & Death – “The Abandoning” (from “Between Here & Lost”, 2013)

25. Maximum The Hormone – “Yoshu Fukushu” (from “Yoshu Fukushu”, 2013)

26. Nothingface – “Blue Skin” (from “Violence”, 2000)

27. Ocean Grove – “Superstar” (from “Flip Phone Fantasy”, 2020)

28. Slipknot – “(sic)” (from “Slipknot”, 1999)

29. Body Count – “Black Hoodie” (from “Bloodlust”, 2017)

30. My Ticket Home – “Spit Not Chewed” (from “Strangers Only”, 2013)

October 01, 2020 10:32 AM

Listening through this morning it occurs to me that alternative metal appeals to me increasingly as I have enjoyed most of this.  Won't pretend to love all of it but a lot of stuff I am familiar with (FNM, Soundgarden, Korn etc) gets nowhere near enough attention in terms of plays from the library.  Rosemary is probably my favourite track off Koi No Yokan.  Seriously hooked on that Helmet track now, it's on loop.

October 01, 2020 10:53 AM
Cool playlist, Daniel, but in the future can you please not include Linkin Park singles like "In the End"? Don't get me wrong, that was a good song from when I used to Linkin Park 8 years ago, sometime before becoming fully interested in "real" metal, but it's one of the most popular songs from one of the most popular rock/metal bands of modern times and pretty much everybody knows it. I personally think the whole point of these playlists is to help us metalheads find songs from bands ranging from inaccessible underground to mildly popular enough for many metalheads to know but not to the point where it hits mainstream radio or "MTV Hits" or any place shared with the popular music some of us are tired of. If you wanna include songs from Linkin Park's nu metal era in future playlists, of course you can, but it would be better if they're non-single tracks like "Points of Authority", "Runaway", "Lying From You", "Easier to Run", etc. Anyway, The Gateway members might definitely enjoy the rest of this playlist. Good work, Daniel!
October 01, 2020 11:16 AM

Cool playlist, Daniel, but in the future can you please not include Linkin Park singles like "In the End"? Don't get me wrong, that was a good song from when I used to Linkin Park 8 years ago, sometime before becoming fully interested in "real" metal, but it's one of the most popular songs from one of the most popular rock/metal bands of modern times and pretty much everybody knows it. I personally think the whole point of these playlists is to help us metalheads find songs from bands ranging from inaccessible underground to mildly popular enough for many metalheads to know but not to the point where it hits mainstream radio or "MTV Hits" or any place shared with the popular music some of us are tired of. If you wanna include songs from Linkin Park's nu metal era in future playlists, of course you can, but it would be better if they're non-single tracks like "Points of Authority", "Runaway", "Lying From You", "Easier to Run", etc. Anyway, The Gateway members might definitely enjoy the rest of this playlist. Good work, Daniel!
Quoted shadowdoom9

Disagree with this Andi, the playlists should incorporate both underground and mainstream/well-known tracks also.  Not everyone coming to the playlist wants the discovery aspect as much as others (and there's nothing wrong with either stance).  So I hadn't listened to that Linkin Park track for years and it was a great reminder of some good times with good friends.  I would like to see this cross-section approach to the lists stay as is therefore.  I also think that Daniel pays careful attention to the flow of the playlists and so I think the mix of exposure to known/new tracks compliments this flow well.

October 01, 2020 11:30 AM

How is this any different from including Blind Guardian in The Guardians playlist, My Dying Bride & Type O Negative in The Fallen playlist or Opeth & Dream Theater in the The Infinite playlist Andi? All of those were your suggestions & I regard them as very much the same thing in my the context of those clans. I mean I've heard those bands a whole lot more than Linkin Park as I've never paid much attention to commercial radio.

Look... you may not be aware of it but a good portion of Spotify playlist listeners won't even think about listening to a playlist if they don't recognize any of the bands/tracks & another portion like to hear the odd track that they know amongst the tracklisting (including many of our regulars) so for this reason I've been intentionally mixing things up with known & unknown material. In fact, I have two friends that have been really digging the playlists for The Gateway. Neither are metalheads & neither are Metal Academy members. Both of them love the fact that they know a few of the tunes & it helps to keep them engaged across the two hour set & they subsequently give the site free publicity with their friends. Plus, not a single member of The Gateway has rated "Hybrid Theory" as yet so why not encourage people by reminding them that they actually know & enjoy one of the tracks from the album? These playlists are not only to serve the existing members. They're intended to draw in new members too so I have to cater for both markets.

Glad you enjoy the playlist regardless mate.

October 01, 2020 12:18 PM
Oh I see... I was just a little shocked to see a globally popular song in the playlist. I didn't realize that some of you haven't heard it as frequently as many other people around the world. Anyway, you're both right. While the playlists can have underground tracks, they can also have mainstream tracks, even the most overrated and over-promoted ones. And since Linkin Park has been one of the most popular alt-metal bands, their albums from that era are essential for any Gateway member wanting to explore alt-/nu metal besides the other 3 giants of that style; System of a Down, Korn, and Deftones. Anyway, I haven't really listened to that playlist but I applaud the track listing looking good for Gateway members to listen to. They'll definitely enjoy it!
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
October 01, 2020 10:09 PM

While I do know the Linkin Park track in question, I'm not sure that I've ever heard a track by System of a Down or Deftones, and I've never heard an album by any of these bands.

So yeah, it's worth noting that one person's musical journey can be very different to another's. Hearing anything by these so called giants is educational for people like me.