Metal Academy Radio Playlist Suggestions - The Gateway Edition

First Post August 24, 2020 04:22 AM

So I'm sure you're probably aware that we've been trialing a new concept through our Metal Academy Radio Spotify playlists recently, right? Well some of our regular contributors & I have been discussing the idea of our clan members making a contribution to the monthly playlists by making recommendations on tracks for inclusion. To make it a true playlist, we'd encourage you to stick predominantly to your favourite tracks from releases you listen to across the course of each month rather than something you enjoyed some time ago as this will make the tracklistings somewhat of a reflection of our member's current playlists which was always our long-term intention. It can be new, old, classic or underground... whatever you happen to be digging at the time as long as it fits in with the clan's designated subgenres. At this stage we're going with a policy of only members of the associated clan being eligible to make submissions for the relevant playlists so that they're a truly clan-based undertaking.

So please treat this thread as your opportunity to contribute guys. We need to make sure that these playlists offer a broad cross-section of the clan's musical footprint so we can't promise that everything will make the final cut but let's see what ya got!

August 24, 2020 12:23 PM

Here are some of my suggestions for next month's Gateway playlist, please choose any of these songs:

In Flames - "I, the Mask" (from I, the Mask, 2019)

Katatonia - "Dead Letters" (from Dead End Kings, 2012)

Katatonia - "Old Heart Falls" (from The Fall of Hearts, 2016)

September 01, 2020 12:55 AM

Sorry Andi. We decided that we're only taking suggestions from clan members so as to keep the playlists clan relevant.

Saxy, do you have any suggestions for the September playlist?

September 18, 2020 09:28 PM

Hi guys. I'm looking to have the playlists ready for release on the first day of every month moving forwards so I'm getting organised early. If any The Gateway members have any submissions then now's the time.

Also, in future I'd suggest simply dropping individual tracks in here whenever you discover them instead of waiting for me to ask as that will give me the most flexibility.

September 21, 2020 09:41 PM

Submissions for the October The Gateway playlist are now closed as I've just completed it.

October 09, 2020 07:16 AM

Please get your submissions (maximum three each) in by 15th October if you want them considered for inclusion in the November playlist.

March 14, 2021 01:00 AM

Here's my suggestion for the April Gateway playlist:

Linkin Park - "Don't Stay" (from Meteora, 2003)

March 14, 2021 01:56 AM

April

Deftones - "Tempest" - Koi No Yokan (2012)

April 01, 2021 07:50 PM

This month's criteria for The Gateway playlist submissions is: 30 min each clan member, no track limits, one track for non-clan members

April 02, 2021 10:26 AM

For May-

Adema - The Way You Like It from Adema (2001)

April 03, 2021 01:49 AM

Here's my suggestion for the May Gateway playlist:

Devin Townsend - "Awake!!" (from Addicted, 2009)

April 15, 2021 04:34 PM

May

Chevelle - "Mars Simula" - Niratias (2021)

May 07, 2021 12:17 PM

June:

System of a Down - Spiders from System of a Down (1998)

May 07, 2021 01:59 PM

My June suggestion (if non-clan members are still allowed one):

Drain STH - Crack the Liar's Smile from Horror Wrestling (1996).

May 14, 2021 11:29 PM

Quoted Sonny92

This one isn't available on Spotify Sonny.

May 15, 2021 12:14 AM

Here's my suggestion for the June Gateway playlist:

Loathe - "Heavy Is the Head That Falls with the Weight of a Thousand Thoughts" (from I Let It In and It Took Everything, 2020)

Quoted shadowdoom9

Look I'm usually pretty flexible in this regard but I have to ask Andi... do you really think this track fits into the subgenre set that makes up The Gateway? It's my favourite track from the album but to my ears it's a pretty savage & abrasive metalcore track that's The Revolution to the core. I could understand submitting it here if the album wasn't a part of a more appropriate clan that you're also a part of.

May 15, 2021 01:58 AM
I think I was a little desperate to get in a Gateway playlist suggestion since it's already close to the middle of the month deadline. I'm gonna move that submission to the Revolution thread which would replace another submission that I've also looked back and realized how unfitting it is there, and try to think of a different one for The Gateway. And when I review that Loathe album, we'll see whether or not I think of it as a Gateway release...
May 15, 2021 02:16 AM

Here's my suggestion for the June Gateway playlist:

Disturbed - "Stricken" (from Ten Thousand Fists, 2005)

May 15, 2021 02:54 AM

And when I review that Loathe album, we'll see whether or not I think of it as a Gateway release...

Quoted shadowdoom9

It's very much a metalcore/alternative metal hybrid in my opinion but, as was the case here, many of the tracks lean heavily towards one side of the equation or the other with only a few sitting in middle ground. I'll be interested to hear your take on it though. 

May 15, 2021 09:14 AM

Quoted Sonny92

This one isn't available on Spotify Sonny.

Quoted Daniel

That's weird - it was when I suggested it. I check any suggestions are available before posting them.

OK, how about Mushroomhead and Sun Doesn't Rise from XIII (2003).

May 15, 2021 10:35 AM

OK, how about Mushroomhead and Sun Doesn't Rise from XIII (2003).

Quoted Sonny92

We included it back in September 2020's playlist but I think that's long enough not to worry about it too much. I mean this is going to start happening more & more regularly unless I can provide everyone with a way to check before submitting & I haven't given it a lot of thought yet.

June 03, 2021 12:19 PM

Here's my suggestion for the July Gateway playlist:

Linkin Park - "Guilty All the Same" (from The Hunting Party, 2014)

June 12, 2021 03:50 PM

July

Spineshank - The Height of Callousness from The Height of Callousness (2000)

July 05, 2021 04:08 PM

August

Alice In Chains - So Far Under from Rainier Fog (2018)