Metal Academy Radio - "The Gateway" Playlist August 2020

First Post August 15, 2020 10:12 PM

So we're going to be testing the waters with another new offering this week which is one that I'll be looking for your feedback on. The idea is to release regular two hour Spotify playlists for each clan with the tracklistings taking the listener through the full gamut of sounds each clan encompasses, both old & new, classic & underground. In putting together the initial lists I've attempted to push my personal tastes to one side by including something for everyone with all eras & subgenres receiving representation. I certainly haven't gone with your more obvious releases all the time & you will find the odd novelty track included just for a bit of fun. These will certainly give people that are finding it hard to choose their clans a good point of reference to see if a particular clan is for them too. Check 'em out & tell us what you think. If everyone enjoys these then we may look to make them a more permanent part of the site.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2O6ODIxIyIphlJPRv3lba9?si=ODofSWCqQM-WAtf0N_syww

Tracklisting:

1. Infectious Grooves – “Lock It In The Pocket” (from “Mas Borracho”, 2000) 

2. Nuclear Rabbit – “Secretly Meaty” (from “Vicuna”, 1997) 

3. Corey Feldman – “Diseased” (from “Former Child Actor”, 2002) 

4. Living Colour – “Go Away” (from “Stain”, 1993) 

5. Fishbone – “Beergut” (from “Chim Chim’s Badass Revenge”, 1996) 

6. Primus – “Fish On (Fisherman Chronicles, Chapter II)” (from “Sailing The Seas Of Cheese”, 1991)

7. Incubus – “Take Me To Your Leader” (from “Fungus Amongus”, 1995) 

8. Anthrax – “I’m The Man” (from “I’m The Man” EP, 1987) 

9. Rage Against The Machine – “How I Could Just Kill A Man” (from “Renegades”, 2000) 

10. Def Con Dos – “De caceria” (from “Alzheimer”, 1995) 

11. Biohazard – “Authority” (from “Mata leao”, 1996)

12. Stuck Mojo – “Rising” (from “Rising”, 1998)

13. Clawfinger – “Two Sides” (from “Clawfinger”, 1997) 

14. Body Count – “Bum-Rush” (from “Carnivore”, 2020) 

15. Peach – “You Lied” (from “Giving Birth To A Stone”, 1994) 

16. Faith No More – “From Out Of Nowhere” (from “Live AT Brixton Academy” EP, 1991)

17. Black Tide – “That Fire” (from “Post Mortem”, 2011) 

18. John 5 – “Feisty Cadavers” (from “Vertigo”, 2004) 

19. Rob Zombie – “Sick Bubble Gum” (from Hellbilly Deluxe 2”, 2010)

20. Disturbed – “Inside The Fire” 9from “Indestructible”, 2008) 

21. Raunchy – “Crack Of Dawn” (from “Velvet Noise”, 2001) 

22. Psychostick – “Do You Want A Taco? (from “Sandwich”, 2009) 

23. Otep – “Apex Predator” (from “Hydra”, 2013) 

24. Orgy – “Vague” (from “Punk StatiK Paranoia”, 2004)

25. Powerman 5000 – “When Worlds Collide” (from “Tonight The Stars Revolt!”, 1999) 

26. Korn – “Here To Stay” (from “Untouchables”, 2002) 

27. Soulfly – “No Hope = No Fear” (from “Soulfly”, 1998)

28. King 810 – “Heartbeats” (from “Suicide King”, 2019)

29. Cane Hill – “It Follows” (from “Too Far Gone”, 2018)

August 29, 2020 06:18 AM

So, I went through this yesterday whilst working and did find I enjoyed more than expected.  Some bands I will be exploring more and others will have rekindled interest such as Raunchy.  Was big on that Korn track back in the early noughties and have flirted with Rob Zombie’s stuff before.  Has to be said that my more extreme ears also found a fair portion of the list underwhelming (Corey Feldman, Clawfinger, Infectious Grooves to mention a couple), but was a good discovery session overall.  Thanks for sharing.

August 31, 2020 08:47 PM

I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed some of this playlist too, particularly the more intense stuff during the second half. In fact, I actually don't mind a lot of the heavier nu metal stuff which I don't often admit to myself. The funk metal & rap metal stuff is largely hit & miss for me personally & that Corey Feldman album is one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life & was very much a novelty inclusion. There's actually a lot worse I could have included from that album which is saying something. Who knew Corey had made a pop/metal record after he'd ceased to become even remotely relevant??