Alice In Chains' "Dirt" vs Faith No More's "Angel Dust"

First Post March 27, 2020 10:46 AM

So I've decided to try a new conversation starter after enjoying Utopia Records' weekly DIS vs DAT thing on Facebook recently. Let's start off with two classic US alternative metal releases from 1992. Which one do you think has the edge & why? 

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
March 27, 2020 10:26 PM
Faith No More were the only thing I listened to for a short period back in the early 90s. I became absolutely obsessed with The Real Thing and Angel Dust (oh, and Mr Bungle) to the point where comparing them with any other Gateway band is just pointless. So you might as well have put Justin Bieber up against them Daniel. It's Angel Dust over whatever other band you included.
March 28, 2020 01:57 AM

This one is fairly clear to me despite regarding both records as genuine classics. Layne Stayley is one of my all-time favourite singers & Jerry Cantrell's talent for writing ultra-sludgy Sabbath riffs & stunningly dark vocal harmonies is unparalleled. There are absolutely no weak tracks on "Dirt" & in fact most are 5/5 bombs. "Dirt" sits in my top ten metal albums ever released & I regard it as just about perfect. "Angel Dust" had a major impact on my life too but if I'm honest with myself I have to admit that a straighter edged, darker & more brooding band like AIC is simply closer to my sweet spot than the quirkier & more experimental FNM sound. I also slightly prefer "The Real Thing" as my go-to FNM album & I'm not much of a fan of the closing track "Midnight Cowboy". So it's "Dirt" by a clear margin for me.

Dirt 1 - Angel Dust 1

March 28, 2020 10:00 AM

I'll cast another vote for Dirt. Angel Dust is an interesting album, but it never really clicked with me. But Stayley's great vocals and Cantrell's outstanding riff-smithing work wonderfully together.

Dirt 2 - Angel Dust 1