What Are You Listening To Now - The Gateway Edition

First Post June 12, 2019 08:38 AM

Soundgarden - "Badmotorfinger" (1991)

A huge record for me back in the early 90's. The highlight tracks are the best of the entire grunge movement in my opinion although I probably rate Alice In Chains' "Dirt" slightly ahead of it overall.

4.5/5

July 05, 2019 11:29 AM

Primus - "Frizzle Fry" (1990)

4/5

July 19, 2019 06:57 AM

Korn - "Korn" (1994)

I'm surprised by just how much I like this record given my generally strong aversion to nu metal. This is a solid metal record made more impressive by the fact that it was the first release of its type.

4/5

August 01, 2019 11:24 AM

Rage Against The Machine - "Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium" (2003)

The kings of rap metal. Presumably the last live show RATM ever played & despite a production job that doesn't really highlight the heaviness of the band, you can't really go wrong with this tracklisting if you're a fan of their studio albums.

3.5/5

January 13, 2020 05:22 AM

I haven't had a listen to this in years. I usually go for Betty when I feel like this type of dropped D goodness (mainly for the variety present on that record). This still has some great stuff on it, and was pretty influential for it's time - I remember everyone being hugely into Helmet for a moment then they just kind of drifted off.

December 16, 2020 05:07 PM

Soundgarden - Louder Than Love (1989)

For some reason I never bothered much with this record back in the 90's.  It's great though, playing like a really alternative version of Led Zeppelin.  In hindsight probably better than Badmotorfinger and most of Superunknown which were my go to albums throughout the period.  4/5

December 16, 2020 08:04 PM

Yeah I've always thought "Louder Than Love" was awesome. It's highlights ("Hands All Over", "Loud Love", "Gun", etc.) are sensationally bad-ass & heavy as fuck. It's definitely got some of Soundgarden's best material. I don't think the overall album is as as consistent as the two albums that followed it though, particularly "Badmotorfinger" which is my personal favourite.

December 16, 2020 08:35 PM

Yeah I've always thought "Louder Than Love" was awesome. It's highlights ("Hands All Over", "Loud Love", "Gun", etc.) are sensationally bad-ass & heavy as fuck. It's definitely got some of Soundgarden's best material. I don't think the overall album is as as consistent as the two albums that followed it though, particularly "Badmotorfinger" which is my personal favourite.

Quoted Daniel

Interestingly I am the other way.  I find both later albums inconsistent and flawed despite their being obvious "hits" on them.

January 10, 2022 08:16 PM

Poppy - "EAT (NXT (Soundtrack)" E.P. (2021)

So, in the interest of increasing the validity of next month's 2021 The Gateway & The Revolution Release of the Year results, I thought I'd give this short fourteen minute alternative metalcore TV wrestling soundtrack E.P. a few spins to see why it's so highly regarded & I've come out of the experience with a confused smile on my face more than anything else. You see, of the five tracks included the first two seem to be the ones that have become fan favourites but I found them both to be pretty flat personally. In fact, after those two songs I was feeling like this release may not be for me however the remaining three tracks are all quite fun with the shortest cut on the E.P. "Breeders" having some pretty amazing hooks it has to be said.

Poppy's sound is certainly pretty unique & draws influence from some unusual places. It's edgy & fresh & in your face but never fails to remind you that it's essentially a pop release. Does it really warrant the metalcore tag though? I would go with a resounding no in that regard. There's only really one track that goes down a route that's pretty much deathcore from an instrumental perspective (i.e. "Say Cheese") but the rest of this release is far poppy for a metalcore primary (see what I did there?) & there really isn't all that much genuine hardcore influence anyway. The alternative metal tag is sufficient to cover this release in my opinion. The long & short of it is that while I'd suggest that "EAT" is definitely worth a quick spin it's unlikely to make too many dedicated metal fans AOTY lists.

3.5/5

February 12, 2022 05:09 PM

Chevelle - "Niratias" (2021)

Listening to the Chevelle featured record this month got me curious as to whether anything else holds interest with me in their discography.  Been playing this for a couple of days as a result of my exploration.  Too early for a rating even let alone a rare Gateway clan review from me, but certainly enjoying more than the featured album.

March 24, 2022 11:05 AM

Manes - "Vilosophe" (2003)

Ben recommended me this wonderful sophomore release from a Norwegian band that began life playing black metal & features The 3rd & The Mortal drummer Rune Hoemsnes. Four years later they returned with this beautifully composed, produced & executed record that simply oozes of professionalism. "Vilosophe" is currently tagged as Non-Metal as it's often referred to as Alternative Rock but I'd suggest that there's actually more Alternative Metal than there is Alternative Rock on offer here. That's not all though because you'll find Manes also dabbling in a whole array of different subgenres from progressive/art rock to trip hop to drum 'n' bass to dark ambient & they do them all justice within a very consistent tracklisting. Front man Asgeir Hatlen possesses a whiny yet deeply compelling voice that reminds me a fair bit of The Mars Volta & Wolfmother. He fills a very important role within the band as he often carries Manes through their less effective undertakings, particularly during the more traditional alternative rock tracks & the more hectic drum 'n' bass accompanied sections. The strongest moments are when Manes get a little deeper & more progressive though as they seem to have a knack for creating some uniquely imposing atmospheres. The programming could have been a touch better as the album starts with the weakest song & then proceeds into the lengthy highlight track which should so obviously have closed the album out as far as I'm concerned but I can't deny how genuinely captivating "Vilosophe" is. In fact, I think I may just have found a new Top Ten Alternative Metal release right here.

4.5/5

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
March 24, 2022 10:36 PM

So happy that you enjoy it as much as I do. It was a risky recommendation as I'm sure it's not for everyone.  A unique and special album for me!

February 10, 2023 04:01 AM

Soundgarden - "Louder Than Love" (1989)

I found this CD lying around in a big box of old CDs in the back of the cupboard & felt like revisiting it this week. "Louder Than Love" was my introduction to Soundgarden (& probably the grunge scene) back in the day through the video clips to "Hands All Over" & "Loud Love" which used to be played on a music show called "Rage" on late-night Australian TV. It was through these songs that I fell in love with Chris Cornell's voice & he'd go on to become my all-time favourite singer. "Louder Than Love" covers a lot of different musical territory with grunge, stoner rock & stoner metal being the most prominent in my opinion. There are a few genuinely doomy & sludgy moments & even a hint at southern rock but overall I think this record is best served by a dual Metal Academy tag of Alternative Metal & Stoner Metal so I'll be putting a Hall of Judgement nomination through to get stoner metal added shortly.

Soundgarden have always been at their best when they're at their Black Sabbath-inspired heaviest & that's definitely the case here. A lot of that has to do with Cornell having his leash taken off so that he can truly soar with those soul-piercing shrieks but the way the band build tension & use tinges of psychedelia is also pretty amazing. There are some truly sublime tracks on this record, some of Soundgarden's finest ever in fact. Both sides open with two utterly killer monsters & it's not hard to see why the grunge movement blew up off the back of that stuff. Unfortunately both sides take a downward trajectory after that with the B side sadly descending a little too far over the last couple of songs which leaves the album finishing on a poor note. If you can look past those filler tracks though, there is some wonderful material included from a band that was packed with stars & featuring one of the greatest rock/metal front men of all time in his absolute prime. Cornell would continue to ride that peak into 1991's all-conquering & career-defining "Badmotorfinger" record & "Louder Than Love" has tended to be overlooked ever since but I can assure you that it's worth exploring if you're into rock/metal music in general (which you obviously are if you're at the Academy).

4/5

February 24, 2023 03:39 AM

Klone - Meanwhile

I've really been enjoying this new album from this French based alternative, progressive metal band. Klone are making some very refreshing music that ticks all of my compositional boxes. It's very concise and catchy, while still pushing outside of the box without sounding to bogged town by technical wankery. Daniel and Xephyr might enjoy this, especially if you enjoy more recent Katatonia releases.

FFO: Katatonia, Soen, Nightingale

4/5

August 01, 2023 02:57 AM

Deftones - Around the Fur

I just got a new coworker today, and I overheard that she likes k-pop and Deftones.  Obviously I decided to recount the latter.  I'm mostly gonna focus on Around the Fur and White Pony, though.  As far as nu metal goes, my favorite is Korn's Issues.  I gave this a 93 the first time I heard it.  Let's see if it holds up.

August 01, 2023 03:05 AM

I love Deftones to be honest. Well... post-"Adrenaline" Deftones anyway. "Around The Fur" was really solid but I prefer later releases like "Koi no Yokan" & "Ohms". "White Pony" is definitely their pièce de résistance though.