30 years since blissful doom changed my life

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post March 16, 2021 11:16 PM

Today is the 30th anniversary of My Dying Bride's debut release, the ground breaking Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium EP. I reckon it was late in 1992 that Daniel first played the epic title track to me, having recorded it off a metal radio show onto cassette. I was very much into thrash and death metal at the time, but was instantly enraptured by the unique beauty of My Dying Bride's sound. They would become my clear favourite band for a number of years, and their 1993 album, Turn Loose the Swans, would still slot into my top 10 albums of all time. More importantly though, they added death doom metal to my metal palette, and I was soon obsessed with other bands like disEMBOWELMENT, Paradise Lost and Anathema. A lifelong passion was formed!

My Dying Bride may have devolved over the years into a far less impressive unit, but they'll always be special to me.

March 17, 2021 02:15 AM

Happy 30th anniversary to the very first release of one of the true masters of death-doom! I still don't think The Horde clan is suitable for this release though, see this thread: https://metal.academy/forum/28/thread/689