Make a recommendation to a fellow member of The Fallen

January 04, 2021 08:06 AM
I just gave that Rosetta album a listen and a review. A perfect post-sludge offering, whether both discs are separate or played together. 5/5. Cheers for the rec, Daniel!
January 10, 2021 02:00 PM

SilentScream213, following your comments about lyrics in metal, I think you would really enjoy the lyrical content of M.S.W.'s Obliviosus. They deal with the negative effects on the family of his brother's longtime heroin addiction and are extremely personal and affecting.

January 20, 2021 08:24 PM

KYPCK - "Черно" (2008)

Andi, I think you might dig this Finnish doom metal debut as there's a significant amount of gothic metal influence here without ever leaving doom metal territory.

January 20, 2021 08:26 PM

Isis - "The Mosquito Control" E.P. (1998)

Sonny, I'd recommend that you check this angry little beast out if you haven't already.

January 21, 2021 12:02 AM

KYPCK - "Черно" (2008)

Andi, I think you might dig this Finnish doom metal debut as there's a significant amount of gothic metal influence here without ever leaving doom metal territory.

Quoted Daniel

This is gonna be interesting, listening to Finnish gothic doom sung in their neighboring country's language Russian. I shall give that album a listen! And although I've already rated all the Isis releases, I might give that Mosquito Control EP (and their other albums) a review as well...

January 21, 2021 12:09 AM
KYPCK is not yet added to this site. I guess that review would have to wait...
January 21, 2021 12:56 AM

I've already asked Ben to add them.

January 21, 2021 01:21 AM
I know, thanks Daniel! But we might have to wait for the exciting new feature Ben is working on before we can see a lot of newly added releases.
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
January 21, 2021 05:33 AM

I know, thanks Daniel! But we might have to wait for the exciting new feature Ben is working on before we can see a lot of newly added releases.
Quoted shadowdoom9

I should be able to add a bunch tomorrow. My work on the new feature is complete. Now we wait!

January 21, 2021 07:34 AM
Thanks Ben! I have an exciting feeling about what this new feature might be.
January 22, 2021 08:57 PM

So you haven't noticed anything different about the site over the last 24 hours then Andi?

January 22, 2021 10:43 PM
I was busy writing some reviews, both for a few albums and the new feature. You'll see my review for the awesome new feature in my reply to this thread: https://metal.academy/forum/17/thread/658
January 25, 2021 09:21 PM

Sonny, I think you might dig this Japanese sludge metal debut from 1996. Go for the re-release pictured above as the three bonus tracks add to the experience.

January 26, 2021 12:24 AM

Hey there, Sonny! Glad you love Isis' "The Mosquito Control" EP. I still didn't get the chance to start reviewing that EP and their other albums, but I will along with that KYPCK album once that band gets added to the site (please add them soon, Ben). Anyway Sonny, have you ever tried listening to Isis' Panopticon? It's the pinnacle of their career, and even though it has the post-metal that you don't think is metal, it's mixed together with the sludge of that EP that would metalize the non-metal parts of post-metal for an ambient yet heavy experience. I think you might dig this!

January 31, 2021 11:38 AM

KYPCK - "Черно" (2008)

Quoted Daniel

This is gonna be interesting, listening to Finnish gothic doom sung in their neighboring country's language Russian. I shall give that album a listen! And although I've already rated all the Isis releases, I might give that Mosquito Control EP (and their other albums) a review as well...

Quoted shadowdoom9

Cheers for the recs, Daniel! The KYPCK album is the practically perfect example of doom metal from one country with a lyrical concept from another, and it makes me up to getting some more of their superb Soviet doom. 5/5

For the Isis EP... Well I can kinda see why that recommendation wasn't directed towards me (besides the fact that I've already rated this EP and all their other releases). The Mosquito Control is not like the post-sludge of their later albums that I usually like, it's more of the heavier doomy sludge that doesn't appeal to me that much. It's great, but just not the best. Sorry, Daniel... I still might review their other albums though. 4/5

January 31, 2021 12:07 PM

Andi, no need to apologize as you're bang on with your thinking there. I've never seen any indication that you enjoy the definitive sludge metal sound so it never occurred to me to recommend that Isis E.P. to you. Sludge metal is angrier, noisier & more aggressive than it's doom metal neighbour & the stuff you refer to as "atmospheric sludge metal" more often than not has very little to do with it. I tend to prefer a heavier, nastier style of metal in general so I don't think it would be much of a surprise to find that I prefer a release like "The Mosquito Control" E.P. but, in saying that, there's very little in it & I still regard releases like "Panopticon" & "Oceanic" as utterly essential no matter what brand of metal floats your boat.

April 12, 2022 02:53 PM

So, to repay you Daniel for this month's excellent Fallen feature submission, I see you haven't rated the 2018 album The Slow Dying of the Great Barrier Reef  from Nottingham drone metal duo Bismuth. It's a superb drone / funeral doom / atmo-sludge tour-de-force that I believe you would really enjoy.

January 05, 2023 02:02 PM

Hey there, Daniel. Since you enjoy that Admiral Angry album, and you have a good feeling about Knut's Challenger based on earlier monthly playlist research, this Today is the Day album might just make your day: