Make a recommendation to a fellow member of The Fallen

First Post November 25, 2019 06:59 AM

If you think one of your clan-mates might really dig something you can make a recommendation to them here.

February 23, 2020 07:03 PM

Ben, I think you will enjoy the new Godthrymm album.

Main man Hamish Glencross was a member of both My Dying Bride and Solstice... and it shows!

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
February 24, 2020 05:47 AM

I didn't realise he was in this band. I'm certainly interested and will check it out. Thanks for the tip!

March 01, 2020 02:45 PM

Cheers for the rec! I think my screenshot cut off at a bad point, but I have actually listened to and rated (and enjoyed) most of MDB's stuff, I love 'em! Looking forward muchly to Ghost of Orion! Never actually tried As the Flower Withers though, so I might get round to that one sometime.

As to the vote, hey, it's ultimately your call what you go for, if you feel more strongly about the Fallen then go for it.

March 12, 2020 10:43 AM

Andi, have you ever checked this one out? I think you'd really dig it.

March 12, 2020 01:35 PM

I've actually tried listening to a few Katatonia songs during my younger melodic metal days a few years ago, but never felt full-time interested in that band, because while I was starting to get into gothic death-doom for the first time at that time, I didn't have the bravery to go down the route of depression through their earlier extreme doom metal material like this album and Dance of December Souls and the melancholic rockish sound of their later albums. But now that I'm gaining more leeway due to that part of my metal taste getting expanded time after time, sure I can give Brave Murder Day a listen. Maybe then I would really dig Katatonia to the point of full interest...

March 13, 2020 01:08 AM
A death-doom classic! 5/5. Cheers for the suggestion, Daniel!
March 16, 2020 11:24 PM

Time for a bit of rec'ing!

I strongly recommend Khemmis to any fellow fans of classic doom style, very old-school, very dominated by deep, rumbling riffage:

April 06, 2020 09:38 PM

Sonny & Tymell, you guys simply MUST check this one out for elite quality ambient sludge/doom metal. Forget about their grindcore roots.

May 29, 2020 07:53 PM

Ben, I think you'd likely dig this one given that you enjoy their 1982 self-titled release.

June 10, 2020 04:15 PM

Ben I think I remember you commenting before about how much you enjoyed Exuvia from The Ruins of Beverast, have you heard his two new 2020 splits with Almyrkvi and Mourning Beloveth? They're both extremely good in my opinion. 

June 16, 2020 12:39 PM

Sleep - "Sleep's Holy Mountain" (1992)

Have you heard this classic stoner metal record Chris Van Etten & SilentScream213?

June 23, 2020 01:28 AM

Daniel - Now that I think about it , I’m not 100% sure I’ve actually listened to this from start to finish! I HAVE with the Sciences (I know some people don’t like it, but I think it’s good), I’ve seen them, and obviously I’ve heard Dragonaut zillion times, but Holy Mountain from start to finish? Shit. Okay, now that I’ve called myself out as a poseur, this will be the next record I do a review of (Acrimony will have to wait).

July 15, 2020 07:24 PM

Ben, I think you may well enjoy the latest Convocation album.

Epic death doom with a little extra!

Full album at Bandcamp

July 15, 2020 08:59 PM

Ben, I think you may well enjoy the latest Convocation album.

Epic death doom with a little extra!

Full album at Bandcamp

Quoted Sonny92

I just saw your review of this.  Didn't know it was the guy from Desolate Shrine (whose stuff I generally like).  Added to my endless list to check out.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
July 15, 2020 10:26 PM

Will definitely check out. Cheers!

August 06, 2020 09:21 PM

Boris - "Akuma no uta" (2003)

Sonny & Chris Van Etten, you boys need to get onto the re-release version of this one pronto if you haven't already. High class stoner rock with noise rock & drone metal elements.

September 14, 2020 09:06 PM

Boris with Merzbow - "Rock Dream" (2007)

Sonny, you will definitely wanna check out this double live album collaboration with Tokyo noise legend Merzbow that sits somewhere between post-metal, noise rock & drone metal. I rate it second only to "Feedbacker" in Boris' back-catalogue these days.

September 23, 2020 10:01 PM

Chris van Etten, I'd suggest that you'll really dig Acid Bath's 1994 debut album "When The kite String Pops".

September 25, 2020 03:45 AM

Cool, will do! I’ll check out that Boris LP too.

October 12, 2020 01:57 AM

Pretty much all of the common longtime Fallen members (including myself) have listened to at least one of the true masters of a doom metal genre; Draconian (gothic doom), My Dying Bride (death-doom), and Cult of Luna (post-sludge doom). However, there might be a few new Fallen members who are new to doom metal and any of its subgenres, in need of a little doom education. So for those new Fallen members, I present...The Fallen introductory transitional trilogy!

This order goes from classic to experimental, starting with the death-growling (with occasional female singing) gothic doom of Arcane Rain Fell, adding male clean vocals into the death-doom of The Light at the End of the World, and ending with post-sludge doom of Somewhere Along the Highway with hardcore yelling. These albums really make me remember my strong passion for The Fallen clan and some of its bands of different genres despite their slow melancholy, and maybe they can influence you to discover much more within The Fallen and become a Fallen master like some of us. Remember, this is for new Fallen members to enjoy and be educated!

October 27, 2020 10:15 AM

Sonny, have you given this one a chance? I'm always surprised at how much I enjoy it when I probably shouldn't in theory.

October 27, 2020 03:05 PM

I remember I gave it a couple of spins ages ago but don't recall it gripping me that much. I'll have to give it another go, maybe it'll resonate a bit more with me now.

January 03, 2021 07:42 AM

Rosetta - "The Galilean Satellites" (2005)

Andi, you should really dig this month's The Fallen feature release.