Bands with stacks of albums that no-one cares about

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post June 14, 2021 11:42 PM

Is anyone else fascinated by bands that have craploads of albums, despite no-one appearing to care about them, let alone think they're actually good? I always want to know what keeps them going. If I was going to start interviewing bands, I reckon it would be more interesting to interview this sort of band than the ones that everyone knows.

Today's case in point... Paganizer. This Swedish death metal band has 25 releases on Metal Academy, with 11 of them being full length albums. None have more then 67 ratings on RYM and none have more than a 3.33 score. How do they keep going? Why do labels keep putting out their releases? Don't they just make a loss?

To be clear, Paganizer are one of stacks of unknown but prolific bands out there. They're just the latest one I've added to the site.

June 15, 2021 05:20 AM

I've not looked into it in any depth, but would guess this is a relatively recent phenomenon. With the availability of home recording software and internet distribution, such as Bandcamp, it is possible for anyone with the knowledge and skill to issue albums virtually at will. I have seen more than enough evidence of this in the black metal community where some acts treat Bandcamp like some kind of Twitter feed, spewing out their every musical thought no matter the quality.

A band I actually quite enjoy who have released 23 albums in fifteen years, with the highest number of ratings on RYM being 16, is a fellow countryman of yours Ben, who goes by the unfortunate name of The Horn. His weird black metal is all based around the Egyptian Book of the Dead and his is certainly an original voice. What keeps him going is sheer enthusiasm, I'm guessing because he can't make much money from it, although I have bought a CD or two!

June 15, 2021 07:52 AM

Is anyone else fascinated by bands that have craploads of albums, despite no-one appearing to care about them, let alone think they're actually good? 

This sounds so mean, hahaha.

Yeah, I find bands like this interesting. In my experience, when I listen to stuff like this, they usually aren't much worse than big names. They're usually just bands doing stuff that someone else already did better 10 years prior. But hey, if you like the genre/style, it means you've just discovered a nice collection of albums to dig through. I'm not the kind of guy who needs artists to do something innovative or unique to enjoy them so I can have a great time with C list stuff like this. I think especially when the artists come from countries where the music market isn't as competitive, it might be easier to get on a label and get your albums put in local shops/online, and then no one outside that circle will ever find them.

June 15, 2021 11:52 AM

I would suggest that this Stuttgart-based heavy metal band fits the mold to a tee:

https://metal.academy/bands/1272

June 15, 2021 12:02 PM
Amidst the sea of unrated darkness, there is one bright shining spot of reviewed hope. It's right there where you're standing with your Danger Zone review, Daniel!
June 15, 2021 07:10 PM

Another prolific releaser of material is Belgian black metaller and doomster Déhà who has released 19 albums and 6 eps since 2018 under his own name as well as other stuff in projects like Slow, Imber Luminis, Clouds, Yhdarl and Aurora Borealis, to name but five! I haven't listened to them all, but he has released some good stuff, particularly as funeral doom project Slow, black/doom project Imber Luminis and his four album A fleur de peau series under his own name. Highest number of ratings on RYM - 58. Respect to these guys who do it for love not money.

June 16, 2021 12:45 AM

My "Darkness and Hope" quote above reminded me of another Pearls Before Swine comic, which I've also just made a parody of: