May 2021 Feature Release – The Sphere Edition

First Post April 30, 2021 07:32 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Sphere has been nominated by myself. It's the classic 1995 sophomore album from legendary Los Angeles industrial metal outfit Fear Factory entitled "Demanufacture".

https://metal.academy/releases/1640

April 30, 2021 08:20 PM

Hey, I think I've got the CD somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and give it a respin or two - not heard it in ages.

April 30, 2021 08:43 PM

Me neither. That's the reason I picked it actually. It was a pretty big record for me at the time. I think Ben might have bought it after I got him into the band through their debut from memory. I saw them on the associated tour & they were great too.

May 02, 2021 06:15 PM

Just given this a couple of blasts and posted a short review.

I really enjoyed firing this up again - as I said in my review, it really does feel like a call from an old friend you haven't heard from in ages and didn't realise you missed as much as you evidently do. Some great memorable tracks here - Dog Day Sunrise, Body Hammer and Hunter-Killer to name but three. Love the play-off between the harsh and clean vocals on this album and Dino's riffing is really powerful and the machine-like rhythms are bang on the money. A great album of genuinely dystopian atmosphere where the remnants of humanity pitch against the machines' pitiless hive mind.

"Crown of black thorns, Human skin, ripped and torn, Where is your saviour now?" still gets me every time!