September 2021 "The Revolution" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post August 31, 2021 08:53 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1yFgscg5HWKGoIy2s0xRfG?si=393359d7ed3b4eb9

Tracklisting:

01. The Devil Wears Prada – “Nora” (from “ZII” E.P., 2021)

02. Wristmeetrazor – “Anemic (The Same Six Words)” (from “Replica Of A Strange Love”, 2021)

03. Mental Cruelty – “Ultima Hypocrita” (from “A Hill To Die Upon”, 2021)

04. Zao – “In the Jaws Of Dread” (from “The Crimson Corridor”, 2021)

05. BABYMETAL – “Ijime Dame Zettai” (from “BABYMETAL”, 2014)

06. We Came As Romans – “To Plant A Seed” (from “To Plant A Seed”, 2009)

07. Shadows Fall – “Of One Blood” (from “Of One Blood”, 2000) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

08. Motionless In White – “Immaculate Misconception” (from “Creatures”, 2010)

09. Demon Hunter – “Sixteen” (from “Storming The Gates Of Hell”, 2007) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

10. Earth Crisis – “Killing Brain Cells” (from “Slither”, 2000) [Submitted by Daniel]

11. Will Haven – “I’ve Seen My Fate” (from “El Diablo”, 1997)

12. Crisis – “Different Ways Of Decay” (from “Deathshead Extermination”, 1996)

13. Underøath – “Paper Lung” (from “Ø (Disambiguation)”, 2010) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

14. Kaonashi – “T.A.Y.L.O.R.” (from “Dear Lemon House, You Ruined Me: Senior Year”, 2021)

15. Chimaira – “Sp Lit” (from “Pass Out Of Existence”, 2001)

16. Integrity – “Rise” (from “Seasons In the Size Of Days”, 1997)

17. While She Sleeps – “Crows” (from “The North Stands For Nothing” E.P., 2010)

18. Converge – “You Fail Me” (from “You Fail Me”, 2004) [Submitted by Vinny]

19. Pupil Slicer – “Mirrors Are More Fun Than Television” (from “Mirrors”, 2021)

20. Born Of Osiris – “Recreate” (from “The Discovery”, 2011) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

21. Darkest Hour – “Beneath The Blackening Sky” (from “Darkest Hour”, 2014) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

22. God’s Hate – “Finish The Job” (from “God’s Hate”, 2021)

23. For Today – “Devastator” (from “Breaker”, 2010)

24. Coalesce – “Have Patience” (from “Give Them Rope”, 1997)

25. Veil Of Maya – “Namaste” (from “[id]”, 2010) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

26. The Dillinger Escape Plan – “The Running Board” (from “Calculating Infinity”, 1999) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

27. 100 Demons – “Forsaken” (from “In The Eyes Of The Lord”, 2000)

28. Bridge Burner – “Chlorine Eyes” (from “Disempath”, 2021)

29. Poppy – “Say Cheese” (from “Eat (NXT Soundtrack) E.P., 2021)

30. Embodyment – “20 Tongues” (from “Embrace The Eternal”, 1998)

31. Darko – “Insects” (from “Darko”, 2021)

September 01, 2021 09:06 AM

My thoughts on some tracks:

Shadows Fall – “Of One Blood” (from “Of One Blood”, 2000)

4.5/5. Let's kick off my playlist journey with one of my favorite songs of this album. It has a long, complicated solo that would've fit well in a DragonForce song.

Demon Hunter – “Sixteen” (from “Storming The Gates Of Hell”, 2007)

4/5. This one sounds more original, starting with a long experimental chamber cello/guitar one and a half minute intro before vocals come in, including edgy guest vocals by Bruce Fitzhugh of Living Sacrifice in the pre-chorus, in contrast to the clean chorus. The breakdown has interesting lyrics.

Underøath – “Paper Lung” (from “Ø (Disambiguation)”, 2010)

5/5. Like "Writing on the Walls" and "In Division", this song's music video is what ignited a slight spark of interest in Underoath 5 years ago that didn't fully began until halfway through that period of time when a different song from the band was used in a TheOdd1sOut video. This is closer to a sludgy metalcore mix a bit like the first 3 He Is Legend albums combined, especially in the intense last minute. I ain't sorry when I say this is much better than their recent pop rock sh*t.

Converge – “You Fail Me” (from “You Fail Me”, 2004)

5/5. For the title track one of the greatest metalcore/mathcore albums, any fan of shorter-length hardcore might find the length and mood boring, but it fits perfectly here. The song is a wall of sludge metal sound. Bass, guitars, and drums combine into a pounding mix while Bannon unleashes his shrieking vocal assault. Now this is a sludgy metalcore epic! Thanks for submitting this, Vinny!

Pupil Slicer – “Mirrors Are More Fun Than Television” (from “Mirrors”, 2021)

3.5/5. This is fun and all, but I'm not that into the brutal experimental kind of metalcore, OK?!

Born Of Osiris – “Recreate” (from “The Discovery”, 2011)

4.5/5. The guitar bit around the 30-second mark of this wicked song really shows what guitarist Lee McKinney can do.

Darkest Hour – “Beneath The Blackening Sky” (from “Darkest Hour”, 2014)

4.5/5. I was once a fan of Darkest Hour, but there were also one of the melodic death metal bands that I moved away from during my death metal departure. But I still enjoy a few songs from their more metalcore albums, like this one which was one of my favorite songs from their self-titled album. A killer kick-A thrashy metalcore instant classic despite its short but average 4-minute length. Their self-titled album marked a swift change out of the earlier melodeath sound the band had up to The Human Romance. In the iTunes deluxe edition, this song is surrounded by two bonus tracks while still before the last two regular tracks. Some might think of the self-titled album as a piece of unholy sh*t, but I say it's by far underrated!

Veil Of Maya – “Namaste” (from “[id]”, 2010)

5/5. This one apparently has a 20-second intro that didn't make the final cut, which is a shame because that intro sounds so awesome and it would've made the song closer to the 4-minute mark. But that song itself is still a sweet highlight!

The Dillinger Escape Plan – “The Running Board” (from “Calculating Infinity”, 1999)

4.5/5. Here's a song that probably works better in the Under the Running Board EP. After a chaotic minute, the song switches to a western noir theme that escalates into some more jazz fusion. Still there's no denying that the song is a hardcore anthem for metalheads.