August 2021 "The Revolution" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post July 31, 2021 08:23 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1yFgscg5HWKGoIy2s0xRfG?si=aad9349b0f3e4fea

Tracklisting:

01. Zao – “Transitions” (from “The Crimson Corridor”, 2021)

02. Wristmeetrazor – “Last Tango In Paris” (from “Replica Of A Strange Love”, 2021)

03. Brand Of Sacrifice – “Vengeance” (from “Lifeblood”, 2021)

04. Rolo Tomassi – “Cosmology” (from “Cosmology”, 2010)

05. 7 Angels 7 Plagues – “Until The Day Breathes & The Shadows Flee” (from “Until The Day Breathes & The Shadows Flee” E.P., 2000)

06. Poppy – “EAT” (from “Eat (NXT Soundtrack) E.P., 2021)

07. Blood Stain Child – “Stargazer” (from “Epsilon”, 2011)

08. Kaonashi – “An Evening of Moving Pictures With Scooter Corkle” (from “Dear Lemon House, You Ruined Me: Senior Year”, 2021)

09. Ice Kills Nine – “The Greatest Story Ever Told” (from “Safe Is Just A Shadow”, 2010)

10. Protest The Hero – “Bloodmeat” (from “Fortress”, 2008) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. All That Remains – “Down Through The Ages” (from “A War You Cannot Win”, 2012) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

12. This Or The Apocalypse – “Subverse” (from “Haunt What’s Left”, 2010)

13. Of Mice & Men – “Obsolete (from “Timeless” E.P., 2021)

14. Shadows Fall – “Stepping Outside The Circle” (from “The Art Of Balance”, 2002)

15. Breach – “Almighty Generation” (from “Friction”, 1995)

16. Asking Alexandria – “Final Episode (Let's Change the Channel)” (from “Stand Up & Scream”, 2009)

17. Earth Crisis – “Gomorrah’s Season Ends” (from “Gomorrah’s Season Ends”, 1996)

18. Vision Of Disorder – “Element” (from “Vision Of Disorder”, 1996)

19. God’s Hate – “Number One” (from “God’s Hate”, 2021)

20. August Burns Red – “The Truth Of A Liar” (from Messengers”, 2007) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

21. The Devil Wears Prada – “Contagion” (from “ZII” E.P., 2021)

22. Betraying The Martyrs – “The Sound Of Letting You Go” (from “Rapture”, 2019) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

23. Starkweather – “Epiphany” (from “This Sheltering Night”, 2010)

24. Attila – “You Looked A Lot Better Last Night” (from “Soundtrack To A Party”, 2008) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

25. Coalesce – “A Safe Place” (from “In Tongues We Speak” split E.P. with Napalm Death, 1996)

26. Winds Of Plague – “Sewer Mouth” (from “Resistance”, 2013) [Submitted by shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

27. Dead To Fall – “Eternal Gates Of Hell” (from “Everything I Touch Falls To Pieces”, 2002)

28. Shora – “In Search Of Empty Space” (from “Shaping The Random” E.P., 2000)

29. Pupil Slicer – “Interlocutor” (from “Mirrors”, 2021)

30. Animosity – “Life Advocate” (from “Shut It Down”, 2003) [Submitted by Daniel]

31. Leeched – “The Grey Tide” (from “To Dull The Blades Of Your Abuse”, 2020) [Submitted by Vinny]

August 01, 2021 02:00 PM

My thoughts on some tracks:

Ice Kills Nine – “The Greatest Story Ever Told” (from “Safe Is Just A Shadow”, 2010)

5/5. Do you like Ice Nine Kills? I sure do! Do you look forward to their second Silver Scream album coming this October?! For me, H*LL YEAH!! The album this song is in also very cool, and was the only one with bassist/vocalist Shane Bisnett who passed away on New Years Day 2019. RIP... This song indeed tells one of the greatest stories ever told, really in need of millions of YouTube views. Love a bit of vocal reverb! I should really use this song as my ringtone for when I ever get a smartphone. The remake of Safe is Just a Shadow is cleaner, but I enjoy the rawness of the original (this version). Those golden leads they really should've done more of in recent albums. If you include the first version ever in The Burning EP, there would actually be 3 official versions of this amazing song!!! HOLY SH*T!! I just love this awesome song, having a mix of vibes from the mid-2000s eras of Escape the Fate and Panic at the Disco, with a bit of Disney-like storytelling.

Protest The Hero – “Bloodmeat” (from “Fortress”, 2008)

4.5/5. This one crashes in with its Dillinger Escape Plan-like modern math-metalcore. The main riff appears surrounded by many of its chaotic moments to make me jump in joy. The inventive riffs go along with the catchy hooks that sing/scream about worshiping mythology in violent metaphors ("HEADS WILL ROLL!!!"). The fast pace often slows down for little epic moments of greatness. Too bad the bass is a little too turned down, I was looking forward to more awesome bass tapping.

All That Remains – “Down Through The Ages” (from “A War You Cannot Win”, 2012)

4/5. A great heavy thrash-driving metalcore opener! Not much more to say...

Shadows Fall – “Stepping Outside The Circle” (from “The Art Of Balance”, 2002)

5/5. One of the best songs of the playlist and its album, with lots of amazing thrash. Riffs, time changes, gang vocals, all nothing but pure 100% thrash, with a capital TH. But at least there's a nice clean part and nice soloing.

August Burns Red – “The Truth Of A Liar” (from Messengers”, 2007)

4.5/5. Happy August! This song opens with a small throwback to the past; a Black Sabbath-style riff with a vintage metal scream. After that, the band stays with their present-day sound for the rest of that song and its album.

The Devil Wears Prada – “Contagion” (from “ZII” E.P., 2021)

5/5. Ah yeah, one of the best songs of metalcore to be released this year! A comeback to the band's heaviness after their recent electronic-infused experiment. I'm absolutely up for more of this band!

Betraying The Martyrs – “The Sound Of Letting You Go” (from “Rapture”, 2019)

4.5/5. Though Betraying the Martyrs is memorable for their symphonic deathcore style, this song is an example of how melodic their recent album is. 2019 is one of the greatest years in the 2010s for metal, and this song almost seals that deal. One of the best songs from Rapture! The elderly should stay away so they wouldn't get heart-attacked. Nothing lasts forever, and this track teaches not to take it all for granted. The direction is h*lla different yet still has the band's signature heaviness. If this wasn't too heavy and filled with a bit of swearing, this song would fit well for the Frozen 2 soundtrack, especially since they covered "Let It Go" earlier. Awesomeness under my skin!

Starkweather – “Epiphany” (from “This Sheltering Night”, 2010)

3.5/5. A bit too long and experimental for metalcore standards, but has a bit of great potential.

Attila – “You Looked A Lot Better Last Night” (from “Soundtrack To A Party”, 2008)

4/5. Before Attila became a rap-metalcore monster, they had a party-themed death/metalcore sound, and even the lyrics sound more brutal than what they have now: "WHEN THE FIRE RAISES FROM THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!!"

Coalesce – “A Safe Place” (from “In Tongues We Speak” split E.P. with Napalm Death, 1996)

5/5. The day of finding more metal to start enjoying continues with this early mathcore band with slower jams. Perfect! But that EP cover art though, is that supposed to be a tongue!? H*ll if I know...

Winds Of Plague – “Sewer Mouth” (from “Resistance”, 2013)

4.5/5. I just don't understand the lack of attention for this band. I mean it sounds sick and brutal with guest vocals by Vincent Bennett of The Acacia Strain, but this band, along with the metalcore/hardcore punk bands I've commented on need more attention in MTV or the radio, like WT*?! But you know what, I'm just asking for too much. After all, we have this playlist and this website now, do we?