July 2021 "The Revolution" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post June 30, 2021 08:48 PM

Tracklisting:

01. Structures – “Departure” (from “All Of The Above” E.P., 2010)
02. August Burns Red – “The Frost” (from “Phantom Anthem”, 2017) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
03. Humanity’s Last Breath – “Glutton” (from “Välde”, 2021)
04. Avenged Sevenfold – “Warmness On The Soul” (from “Warmness On The Soul” E.P., 2001)
05. Integrity – “Before the VVorld vvas Young” (from “The Blackest Curse”, 2010)
06. Starkweather – “Shroud” (from “Into The Wire”, 1995)
07. Bullet For My Valentine – “Begging For Mercy” (from “Fever”, 2010) [Submitted by Vinny]
08. Fear, & Loathing In Las Vegas – “Return To Zero” (from “New Sunrise”, 2017) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
09. PassCode – “Taking you out” (from “Clarity”, 2019)
10. Zao – “Croatoan” (from “The Crimson Corridor”, 2021)
11. Juan Bond – “Womb” (from “Womb”, 2021)
12. The Devil Wears Prada – “Forlorn” (from “ZII” E.P., 2021)
13. The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton – “Pig Latin” (from “Irony Is A Dead Scene” E.P., 2002) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
14. Kickback – “Be My Guest” (from “Cornered”, 1995)
15. Coalesce – “You Can’t Kill Us All” (from “Functioning On Impatience “, 1998)
16. Winds Of Plague – “Never Alone” (from “Blood Of My Enemy”, 2017) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
17. Eighteen Visions – “She’s A Movie Produced Masterpiece” (from “Until The Ink Runs Out”, 2000)
18. Demon Hunter – “Artificial Light” (from “Extremist”, 2014) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
19. Pupil Slicer – “L'appel du vide” (from “Mirrors”, 2021)
20. Chimaira – “This Present Darkness” (from “This Present Darkness”, 2000)
21. Earth Crisis – “New Ethic” (from “Destroy The Machines”, 1995) [Submitted by Daniel]
22. God’s Hate – “God’s Hate” (from “God’s Hate”, 2021)
23. Gulch – “Accelerator” (from “Sunami/Gulch” split E.P., 2021)
24. Between The Buried & Me – “Alaska” (from “Alaska”, 2005) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
25. Unearth – “Survivalist” (from “Extinction(s)”, 2018) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
26. Hazing Over – “Sty” (from “Pestilence” E.P., 2021)
27. Abiotic – “Smoldered” (from “Ikigai”, 2021)
28. Bleeding Through – “Anti-Hero” (from “Bleeding Through”, 2010)
29. All Shall Perish – “Deconstruction” (from “Hate . Malice . Revenge”, 2003)
30. Brand Of Sacrifice – “Foe Of The Inhuman” (from “Lifeblood”, 2021)

July 01, 2021 12:11 PM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Structures – “Departure” (from “All Of The Above” E.P., 2010)

5/5. The ultimate sick intro to this song's EP, the band's discography, and this playlist! With a killer beginning like that, I should really listen to more of this band Structures and hear more of what they have in metalcore store.

August Burns Red – “The Frost” (from “Phantom Anthem”, 2017)

4.5/5. Heavy bass-lines in this song impressively soar all around while having an uplifting vibe.

Bullet For My Valentine – “Begging For Mercy” (from “Fever”, 2010)

4/5. Good choice, Vinny! This one is the heaviest beast in the BFMV album Fever. There are massive riffs and a clever chorus, though similar to the slightly less heavy songs' chorus while still monstrously heavy.

Fear, & Loathing In Las Vegas – “Return To Zero” (from “New Sunrise”, 2017)

4.5/5. Man, what a good song with incredible lyrics, as encouraging as the previous album's "Let Me Hear". It's a little hard for me to dance because I haven't done a proper dance since I was younger, but I feel up for dancing to this trancecore tune. I love it! RIP Kei...

The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton – “Pig Latin” (from “Irony Is A Dead Scene” E.P., 2002)

5/5. This amazing shocker starts calm. First a slow haunting guitar riff plays, then keyboard joins in, followed by Patton's soft singing. It sounds accessible at first but you know it's gonna build up to more chaos. The heavier chorus as guitars explode into heaviness. Patton starts singing deep vocals that sound almost gibberish surrounded by squeals of "Chinga". The guitars get really chaotic as the chords get forcefully wrung out. That and Patton's chaotic squealing causes the guitar to sound like you're bending a pipe around its neck to strangle it. The intensity returns as Patton yells "Speaking Pig Latin, kiss me goodnight" as the band blows the roof off this dump. After a few beeps, the song then sounds like a lounge band with the lead vocalist being a psychotic murderer. Those deep lounge vocals work well there! Then it's back to the beginning with the first verse and chorus, except in the chorus, only "Chinga" remains, then ends with one more incomprehensible gibberish line. One of the best TDEP songs!

Winds Of Plague – “Never Alone” (from “Blood Of My Enemy”, 2017)

5/5. Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!!! This is the coolest song I've heard in symphonic deathcore, a bit like a mix of the heavier Trivium, earlier Veil of Maya, and Wintersun all in one song! EPIC!!

Eighteen Visions – “She’s A Movie Produced Masterpiece” (from “Until The Ink Runs Out”, 2000)

5/5. Another one of the best songs in this playlist, making me wish I had listened to more metalcore in my high school-age years. In the second half, there's an unreal groove along with the most epic pick-up line possible, "BLONDE BOMBSHELL BLUE-EYED BEAUTY, YOU ROCK MY F***ING WORLD!!!!!" The heaviness of this f***ing masterpiece of a song would have you laughing maniacally. Their late bassist Mick Deth didn't join the band yet at that time, but still, RIP... The co-vocals by Brandan Schieppati are also great too, but what response do you expect from a Bleeding Through fan? Even Throwdown would be thrown down by this. Here comes another entry in my top 25 metalcore list...

Demon Hunter – “Artificial Light” (from “Extremist”, 2014)

4.5/5. The first song Demon Hunter fans would hear from Extremist when it was the album's lead single. Another heavy song!

Between The Buried & Me – “Alaska” (from “Alaska”, 2005)

4.5/5. I've remembered enjoying this fun brutal prog-death/metalcore song before recently dumping my interest for BTBAM during my death metal departure. I might make a one-off return a couple months later for their upcoming sequel album to the one after Alaska, Colors.

Unearth – “Survivalist” (from “Extinction(s)”, 2018)

4.5/5. This song continues the 7-string fury with screams that can boil the blood of listeners who survived the rest of this playlist. Then there's a brutal bone-crushing breakdown more intense than in other bands like Thy Art is Murder. Drummer Nick Pierce‘s work with Adam D. (Killswitch Engage) really paid off for more relentless chaos. The master trained his apprentice well!

Bleeding Through – “Anti-Hero” (from “Bleeding Through”, 2010)

4/5. Brandan's other band Bleeding Through the band time-travels back to 1995 Sweden for death metal bands At the Gates and Therion in that year to borrow their sound and add some punk lyrics ("I’ve heard enough of you, f***ing go away!”). The tremolo riffs are sprinkled in there. You've probably heard enough from me, so see ya next time!