June 2021 "The Revolution" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post May 31, 2021 08:39 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1yFgscg5HWKGoIy2s0xRfG?si=20506860060a43fb

Tracklisting:

01. After The Burial – “Your Troubles Will Cease & Fortune Will Smile Upon You” (from “In Dreams”, 2010)

02. All That Remains – “The Last Time” (from “…For We Are Many”, 2010)

03. Brand Of Sacrifice – “Animal” (from “Lifeblood”, 2021)

04. Amaranthe – “Amaranthine” (from “Amaranthe”, 2011) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

05. Bullet For My Valentine – “The End” (from “The Promise”, 2005) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

06. Black Veil Brides – “Knives & Pens” (from “We Stitch These Wounds”, 2010)

07. Atreyu – “Lip Gloss & Black” (from “Suicide Notes & Butterfly Kisses”, 2001)

08. Avenged Sevenfold – “To End The Rapture” (from “Sounding The Seventh Trumpet”, 2001)

09. Earth Crisis – “All Out War” (from “All Out War” E.P., 1992)

10. Chokehold – “Not A Solution” (from “Content With Dying”, 1995)

11. 108 – “Solitary” (from “Songs of Separation”, 1995)

12. Juan Bond – “Bat” (from “Womb”, 2021)

13. Every Time I Die – “Your Touch Versus Death” (from “Burial Plot Bidding War” E.P., 2000)

14. Converge – “Shingles” (from “Petitioning The Empty Sky”, 1996) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

15. Counterparts – “Only Anchors” (from “Prophets”, 2010)

16. Crossfaith – “Catastrophe” (from “EX_MACHINA”, 2018) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

17. Woe, Is Me – “(&) Deliquents” (from “Number(s)”, 2010)

18. Underøath – “The Last” (from “Cries Of The Past”, 2000)

19. The Ghost Inside – “Between The Lines” (from “Returners”, 2010)

20. Deadguy – “Human Pig” (from “Screamin' With the Deadguy Quintet”, 1996)

21. God’s Hate – “Be Harder” (from “God’s Hate”, 2021)

22. Sunami – “Die Slow” (from “Sunami/Gulch” split E.P., 2021)

23. Zao – “Ship Of Theseus” (from “The Crimson Corridor”, 2021)

24. Pupil Slicer – “Wounds Upon My Skin” (from “Mirrors”, 2021)

25. The Dillinger Escape Plan – “Fix Your Face” (from “Ire Works”, 2007) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

26. Born Of Osiris – “Now Arise” (from “A Higher Place”, 2009) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

27. Abiotic – “Grief Eater, Tear Drinker” (from “Ikigai”, 2021)

28. Loathe – “Heavy Is the Head That Falls With the Weight of a Thousand Thoughts” (from “I Let It In & It Took Everything”, 2020) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

29. Arkangel – “Written In Black” (from “Dead Man Walking”, 2000)

30. Hazing Over – “Jock” (from “Pestilence” E.P., 2021)

31. Ion Dissonance – “This Is The Last Time I Repeat Myself” (from “Cursed”, 2010)

32. Humanity’s Last Breath – “Tide” (from “Välde”, 2021)

June 01, 2021 11:07 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

After The Burial – “Your Troubles Will Cease & Fortune Will Smile Upon You” (from “In Dreams”, 2010)

4.5/5. Let's start this playlist with yet another band that I moved away from in my death metal departure. But why this band though? Deathcore isn't considered entirely a death metal subgenre, despite the "death" aspect. Either way, this song is still great!

All That Remains – “The Last Time” (from “…For We Are Many”, 2010)

5/5. Ah yeah, an awesome enjoyed by me and my brother! In fact, this is my second favorite by the band, behind "Two Weeks" from Overcome. It really brings their metalcore sound despite mostly clean vocals and the repetitive chorus.

Brand Of Sacrifice – “Animal” (from “Lifeblood”, 2021)

4/5. Great song, but too close on the experimental side at some points. Next!

Amaranthe – “Amaranthine” (from “Amaranthe”, 2011)

5.5/5 (not exaggerating). One of the most amazing songs from both this album and the band, and at the top of their ballads list in my opinion, which is why I felt a little hesitant about suggesting it at first. In fact, when I went with my friends from the outside world for a karaoke outing, I snuck in that song and sang it with two of my friends. Pretty rebellious, huh? When we sang it, I performed Andreas' screaming bridge.

Bullet For My Valentine – “The End” (from “The Promise”, 2005)

5/5. I really love the ending track to BFMV's highest pinnacle The Poison. It would work a great end to this metalcore playlist, but I'm fine with its position either way. More mellow and depressing but still stands out well. The guitar riff is so simple, Matt can focus on more emotion in his vocals in the cleaner verses. I wish he could keep doing that emotional technique but that would mean he would have to drop the guitar full-time. The song gets heavier but once again, there's no solo. Then it returns to the intro riff used as the outro with soft guitar harmony over it as it all fades out. Another personal favorite!

Converge – “Shingles” (from “Petitioning The Empty Sky”, 1996)

4.5/5. In an EP into a semi-studio album with all new tracks in the second side, that side starts with this track, marked by blazing tempo variations. A near-highlight to its release, Petitioning the Empty Sky!

Counterparts – “Only Anchors” (from “Prophets”, 2010)

5/5. "Whether you're stuck in the past, or lost in the future, this is for you", spoken from a lyrical metalcore master! This underrated band has just become another favorite of mine, and I need to listen to more of them. Such an incredible band, holy sh*t! It was only just now that I discovered the band's amazing awesomeness, having made me a new fan of theirs. I absolutely love it like a girlfriend, especially that breakdown. It has honestly continued sealing metalcore as the personal best genre for me, better than the post-hardcore of Silverstein that most people seem to know. An amazing life-saving metalcore band in chill progress! It's awesome to hear these unique sounds like the harmonic sweeps. The vocalist has more power (but less brutality) than Suicide Silence vocalist Mitch Lucker (RIP). This is grand modern melodic metallic hardcore right here in this song. F***ing sick (as in awesome), man! Thank you for including this, Daniel...

Crossfaith – “Catastrophe” (from “EX_MACHINA”, 2018)

5/5. I became interested in the Japanese metalcore scene thanks to a friend from the outside world, and this band Crossfaith a more recent example. This is really nice god-awesome heaviness. I love it so much!

Woe, Is Me – “(&) Deliquents” (from “Number(s)”, 2010)

5/5. The lead singer of this band sounds so beautiful, while the screaming vocalist sounds as brutal as he can be. Awesome song with nice lyrics, and that 30-second ending is probably one of the most touching sections of a metalcore song I've ever heard.

Underøath – “The Last” (from “Cries Of The Past”, 2000)

4.5/5. This is back in the older times when Underoath had a progressive black/death metal-influenced metalcore sound going on, and I love this song, though it's the first song of the album Cries of the Past, not the last. Sadly this year, guitarist Corey Steger passed away following a car accident. RIP

The Dillinger Escape Plan – “Fix Your Face” (from “Ire Works”, 2007)

5/5. This one commences the third Dillinger Escape Plan album in a brutal bang, an intense track of destructive perfection with guest vocals by original vocalist Dimitri Minakakis. What's more hardcore than that for TDEP??

Born Of Osiris – “Now Arise” (from “A Higher Place”, 2009)

5/5. Here there are some perfect heavy riffs, along with a black metal-like section with evil-sounding synths and blast beats, which makes the song another fun one to listen to, and similar to The Faceless while straying away from that kind of sound.

Abiotic – “Grief Eater, Tear Drinker” (from “Ikigai”, 2021)

3.5/5. This is a little too close to the technical death metal I've sworn away from. Let's move on...

Loathe – “Heavy Is the Head That Falls With the Weight of a Thousand Thoughts” (from “I Let It In & It Took Everything”, 2020)

5/5. The last song I'm gonna comment here is a f***ing killer track that starts with black metal hatred blending early Enslaved with Deafheaven, before the usual metalcore riff stomp. Loathe keeps twisting things up with technical-ish grooves with dynamic drama that are rare to happen in any other song.