May 2021 "The Revolution" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post April 30, 2021 07:54 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1yFgscg5HWKGoIy2s0xRfG?si=e01614336afb4724

Tracklisting:

01. Hatebreed – “Invoking Dominance” (from “Weight Of The False Self”, 2020)

02. Miss May I – “Lost In The Grey” (from “Shadows Inside”, 2017) [Submitted by Theo Wyoming]

03. Brand Of Sacrifice – “Lifeblood” (from “Lifeblood”, 2021)

04. Amaranthe – “Helix” (from “Helix”, 2018)

05. Converge – “Hell To Pay” (from “Jane Doe”, 2001) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

06. Ringworm – “The Promise” (from “The Promise”, 1993)

07. Snapcase – “Incarnation” (from “Lookinglasself”, 1993)

08. Unearth – “The Chosen” (from “The March”, 2008) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

09. Juan Bond – “Papa’s Got A Brand New Bed” (from “Womb”, 2021)

10. Atreyu – “Becoming The Bull” (from “Lead Sails Paper Anchor”, 2007) [Submitted by Theo Wyoming]

11. Killswitch Engage – “Starting Over” (from “Killswitch Engage”, 2000) [Submitted by Theo Wyoming]

12. 36 Crazyfists – “In The Midnights” (from “Collisions & Castaways”, 2010) [Submitted by Theo Wyoming]

13. Blood From The Soul – “Debris Of Dreams” (from “DSM-5”, 2020)

14. Pupil Slicer – “Collective Unconscious” (from “Mirrors”, 2021)

15. Strife – “Through & Through” (from “One Truth”, 1994)

16. Light The Torch – “The Bitter End” (from “Revival”, 2018) [Submitted by Theo Wyoming]

17. The Dillinger Escape Plan – “Crossburner” (from “One Of Us Is The Killer”, 2013) [Submitted by Daniel]

18. Demon Hunter – “My Destiny” (from “True Defiance”, 2012) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

19. Memphis May Fire – “Alive In The Lights” (from “Challenger”, 2012) [Submitted by Theo Wyoming]

20. Underøath – “In Division” (from “Ø (Disambiguation)”, 2010)

21. Shadows Fall – “The Light That Blinds” (from “The War Within”, 2004) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

22. God Forbid – “Wicked” (from “Determination”, 2001) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

23. Sunami – “Step Up” (from “Gulch/Sunami” split E.P., 2021)

24. ERRA – “Gungrave” (from “ERRA”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

25. Earth Crisis – “Control Through Fear” (from “To The Death”, 2009) [Submitted by Vinny]

26. Heaven Shall Burn – “To Inherit The Guilt” (from “Asunder”, 2000)

27. Hazing Over – “Pestilence” (from “Pestilence” E.P., 2021)

28. Winds Of Plague – “Approach The Podium” (from “The Great Stone War”, 2009) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

29. Abiotic – “Souvenir Of Skin” (from “Ikigai”, 2021)

30. Humanity’s Last Breath – “Earthless” (from “Välde”, 2021)

May 01, 2021 10:48 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Amaranthe – “Helix” (from “Helix”, 2018)

4/5. Interesting how I started with a song that reminds of a band that is now gone from my metal interest along with the rest of the you-know-what genre from my playlist. This track sounds more related to mid-2000s In Flames. I like that a bit!

Converge – “Hell To Pay” (from “Jane Doe”, 2001)

4.5/5. What's also interesting is how I spiced up the Revolution playlist with something really slow, with the thick bass to help give it a sludgy vibe and a great suiting tone. One of the best songs in the album to not be part of the greater highlights! (see review)

Unearth – “The Chosen” (from “The March”, 2008)

4.5/5. This one shows some tasty leads, and was chosen as part of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters soundtrack, recorded a year before the rest of the album this song was in, The March.

The Dillinger Escape Plan – “Crossburner” (from “One Of Us Is The Killer”, 2013)

4/5. I guess you call this sludgy track "Phone Home" Part 2!! Moody bass and mechanical distortion scatter over guitars while making the song more violent than a deadly earthquake. The madness would have a good grip on you and shake you hard. This is one of the best songs that don't make my top 5 favorites in this album.

Demon Hunter – “My Destiny” (from “True Defiance”, 2012)

4/5. This one has passionate beautiful choruses surrounding chaotic verses. Good song for any Demon Hunter newcomer fans!

Memphis May Fire – “Alive In The Lights” (from “Challenger”, 2012)

4.5/5. Theo Wyoming, I applaud your decision to contribute to the Revolution playlists. This song is brilliant killer face-blasting metalcore. I might not feel too up to listening to more of this band, but thanks for this suggestion, Theo!

Underøath – “In Division” (from “Ø (Disambiguation)”, 2010)

5/5. Now this is superb! Aaron Gillespie was absent for this album in both the drums and clean vocals, but Spencer's cleans that he uses with his usual screams keep the manliness factor going. No lie, I watched the music video for this song on TV at least 5 years ago during my earlier epic metal taste, but it was until in the center between then and now when I became fully interested in this band during my current modern heavier era. While I enjoy this exciting sound, I love the band in the albums where Aaron is around, though their older stuff. This album is, similar to the previous 3 songs in this playlist, brilliant killer face-blasting metalcore, though it hasn't reached the epic height of Lost in the Sound of Separation. They should definitely have more success than Tool. Christian metalcore for the win (though I'm a Muslim)!

Shadows Fall – “The Light That Blinds” (from “The War Within”, 2004)

5/5. This song comes to a perfect start with a short acoustic intro, then the song itself follows with heavy, pounding rhythms, awesome guitar work, and a memorable catchy chorus. One of the best songs by the band!

God Forbid – “Wicked” (from “Determination”, 2001)

4.5/5. The amazing 6-song winning streak in this playlist continues beautifully in this wicked track, which mixes metalcore rhythms with melodeath leads.

Winds Of Plague – “Approach The Podium” (from “The Great Stone War”, 2009)

5/5. After going through all those down-tuned pieces of metalcore art, the last one I'm commenting on is in standard E, and it sounds so brutal (but in a way I like)! The album's concept about an apocalyptic war in a devolving future should be made into a book or a movie. How much I love this album is probably much more than their later albums. The keyboard riff towards the end is f***ing sick (as in awesome) in this immense song! This song clearly establishes Winds of Plague as one of the heaviest metal bands around, especially the verse that surrounds the one-minute mark. This wouldn't probably be a band I would listen when I was around 14, but the leeway had pushed slowly until at least 5 years later when I became interested in them. You can go into a World War battle zone with this song blaring from your stereo. I'm so speechless by the message the song is conveying. Their first two albums, Decimate the Weak and The Great Stone War at the best by the band!