Do we exclude Nintendocore & Trancecore from The Revolution?

June 18, 2021 12:28 AM

So Ben & I have now discussed the Nintendocore situation & have decided to remove the subgenre from the Metal Academy database based on the above feedback. All Nintendocore releases will be marked as an alternative subgenre or set to Non-metal. If you feel that any subsequent retagging is incorrect then please feel free to submit the release in question to the Hall or to vote on its release page (if you're a member of The Revolution clan). Ben is just having a small database bug rectified & will then make the required changes so you can expect to see it take place in the next month or so. Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed to us making a well-informed decision on that.

Let's move on to the Trancecore subgenre, shall we? Here's three prominent tracks from some of the more widely known Trancecore releases. I'd like to ask as many of you as possible to participate in voting on whether you feel that each of them qualifies as metal or not.

June 18, 2021 01:56 AM

I remember listening to all 3 of those songs! Here's what I think of them: "Sorry, You're Not a Winner" is a perfect fusion of metalcore and synths that can cause a mosh-pit in a nightclub. I count that song as metalcore for its heavier riffing and occasional breakdowns. "The Final Episode (Let's Change The Channel)" I remember because I kept bumping into Friends memes based on the yell of "OH. MY. GOD!!!" That song is pure heavy metalcore with the trance synths not appearing prominently until around the last minute. "Stick Stickly" is known for starting the "Crabcore" meme because of the members squatting like crabs in the music video. And oh man, the synth-infused metalcore heaviness from those other two songs continues there! Can you f***ing feel it, Mr. Krabs?! Anyway, that's 3 trancecore tracks that, to my ears, all count as metal. So there might still be some potential for trancecore to stay in this site, maybe as a trance metal subgenre...

Metalcore: 1

Non-metal: 0

June 19, 2021 02:38 PM

Well, there's 12 minutes of my life I will never get back.  There's elements of metal here yes but it is drowned out by synths and keys and I can't actually say any of those tracks are rooted in metal at their core.  I would say they are too far away from metal to warrant inclusion as thus on the site.

June 19, 2021 02:40 PM

Update due to Vinny's vote:

Metalcore: 1

Non-metal: 1

June 19, 2021 09:54 PM

I just gave all three tracks an initial listen & I think I'm with Andi on this one. I'd suggest that there's enough metal in all three of those tracks to warrant inclusion under a metal-based subgenre. Sure there are some electronic components in each of them but they're layered over the top of a melodic metalcore backbone while the hardcore punk component isn't dominant over the metal one so a Metalcore-based label is more suitable in my opinion. If these three tracks are a good representation of the subgenre (Are they Andi?) then the question for me would more about whether this sound requires its own subgenre or is better off being thrown in with Melodic Metalcore or Trance Metal. On the evidence of these tracks I'd be suggesting Melodic Metalcore would be more suitable as they're all metalcore based.

June 19, 2021 10:50 PM

Update due to Daniel's vote:

Metalcore: 2

June 20, 2021 07:08 AM

Definitely Metalcore (Trancecore). What else would you call that style of music? You could debate whether Metalcore is real metal or not (Metal Archives would probably tell you it isn't), but those songs are definitely a style of Metalcore, so as long as Metalcore is an accepted style of metal on this site, those bands are metal.

I don't really have a preference over whether you want to lump it with Melodic Metalcore or Trance Metal. Technically this is a style of Metalcore which Trance Metal is really not, but at the same time, this style of music would probably fit the scene and appeal to fans of Trance Metal more than Metalcore fans. Depends how technical with the subgenres you want to be I guess.

June 20, 2021 09:47 AM

Metalcore: 3

So far, trancecore is getting a good amount of votes on the metal side. With those 3 tracks representing the subgenre very well, the fate of trancecore in this site is in good metal hands. If anyone's up for something slightly challenging, here's another song to listen to alongside the other 3, I'll tell you my opinion about it once I get some feedback:

June 24, 2021 12:41 PM

Yeah, I'd suggest that the Fear, & Loathing In Las Vegas track is metal too Andi & it's definitely Melodic Metalcore-based so I feel like we've got it right to have Trancecore as a subgenre of Melodic Metalcore if these four tracks are a true reflection of the Trancecore sound.

Ben, Xephyr, Sonny & Saxy, what are your thoughts on these four Trancecore tracks? Metal or not?

June 24, 2021 02:40 PM

Yeah, I'd suggest that the Fear, & Loathing In Las Vegas track is metal too Andi & it's definitely Melodic Metalcore-based so I feel like we've got it right to have Trancecore as a subgenre of Melodic Metalcore if these four tracks are a true reflection of the Trancecore sound.

Quoted Daniel

I agree, Daniel! That track is symphonic trance-metalcore at its best with the metal-synth mix as well-balanced as those other 3...

June 24, 2021 03:28 PM

Asking Alexandria - Metalcore

Attack Attack - Metalcore

Enter Shikari - Metalcore, more towards a full Trancecore label

Fear and Loathing - Metalcore, closest to a full Trancecore label

June 24, 2021 11:15 PM

Update due to Xephyr's vote:

Metalcore: 4

May 22, 2022 03:13 AM

So we've finally followed through on our long-term intent to remove Nintendocore from the site with all releases that were previously tagged with the subgenre having been changed to Non-Metal or being left in their other subgenre(s).

June 11, 2022 06:09 AM

Please be aware that after much deliberation & discussion the Trancecore subgenre has been removed from the database with the vast majority of releases having been tossed into the Melodic Metalcore basket.