February 2021 Feature Release – The Revolution Edition

First Post January 31, 2021 07:06 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Revolution is 2011's highly regarded "Drink Bleach; Live Forever" E.P. from New Jersey mathcore outfit Inside The Beehive. This little record seems to have slipped under the radar a little bit but I recently encountered it while putting together this month's The Revolution Spotify playlist & thought it's grindcore-infused take on mathcore might be something I could really sink my teeth into. It's only 16 minutes long so it won't require an enormous commitment but I'd encourage you all to give it a chance.

Ben, can you please add Inside The Beehive to the site so I can add the link?

February 16, 2021 08:15 PM

Just where exactly in the actual fuck has this release been all my life??? If the idea of 16 minutes of the most over the top, extreme & insanely complex mathcore you've ever experienced sounds appealing then I'd urge you to dive right in & hang on for dear life. The production & performances are spectacular, the arrangements are off the Richter & the vocals are completely fucking berserk.  The occasional metalcore/deathcore breakdown prevents me from dishing out full marks but nonetheless this is a sensational release that sits amongst the best couple of examples of the mathcore subgenre I've ever heard. For fans of Fawn Limbs, As The Sun Sets & The Sawtooth Grin.

4.5/5

P.S. Sure this is a very extreme example of mathcore & it utilizes blast beats occasionally but I don't hear very much that sounds like genuine grindcore. It's more of a secondary subgenre than a primary one as it would seem out of place at the top of a grindcore chart.

February 17, 2021 12:41 AM

Thanks Daniel, but the album is still too far beyond my mostly melodic metalcore league, not to mention a title that would offend people with autism and their parents. Again I'm not into the ultra-grind-metalcore of this band and others such as Gulch and Fawn Limbs (Gaza is still OK for me though). I'm not gonna write a summary, I'm just gonna say the link to my review: https://metal.academy/reviews/19991/26049

3/5