November 2020 "The Revolution" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post October 31, 2020 09:36 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6xWUeoB52nX7soE8ynDk1a?si=cQ0njn04RHaxCVYKlND-zw

Tracklisting:

01. Vein – “Ripple+” (from “Old Data In A New Machine, Vol. 1”, 2020)

02. Zao – “A Well-Intentioned Virus” (from “The Well-Intentioned Virus”, 2016)

03. Knocked Loose – “All My Friends” (from “Pop Culture” E.P., 2014)

04. Fucking Werewolf Asso – “Helen Tiger” (from “Fucking Werewolf Asso” E.P., 2012)

05. Rorschach – “Ornaments” (from “Protestant”, 1993)

06. Every Time I Die – “Moor” (from “From Parts Unknown”, 2014)

07. Amaranthe – “Invincible” (from “The Nexus”, 2013) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

08. Strawberry Hospital – “A Confession, A Cadaver” (from “Strawberry Hospital” E.P., 2020)

09. Trivium – “Like Light To The Flies” (from “Ascendancy”, 2005) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

10. Shai Hulud – “Given Flight By Demon’s Wings” (from “That Within Blood Ill-Tempered”, 2003)

11. Deadguy – “Doom Patrol” (from “Fixation On A Coworker”, 1995)

12. Earth Crisis – “Firestorm/Forged In The Flames” (from “Firestorm” E.P., 1993)

13. Living Sacrifice – “Flatline” (from “The Hammering Process”, 2000)

14. Counterparts – “Wings Of Nightmares” (from “Nothing Left To love”, 2019)

15. Between The Buried & Me – “Aspirations” (from “Between The Buried & Me”, 2002) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

16. Integrity – “Trapped Under Silence” (from “Humanity Is The Devil” E.P., 1996)

17. Undying – “Echoes” (from “The Whispered Lies Of Angels”, 2000)

18. Polaris – “Hypermania” (from “The Death Of Me”, 2020)

19. Prayer For Cleansing – “Feinbhas a Ghabhail” (from “Rain In Endless Fall”, 1999) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

20. The Ghost Inside – “Aftermath” (from “The Ghost Inside”, 2020)

21. God Forbid – “Better Days” (from “Gone Forever”, 2004) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

22. Threat Signal – “Rational Eyes” (from “Under Reprisal”, 2006) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

23. Gulch – “Self-Inflicted Mental Terror” (from “2019 Promo”, 2019)

24. Bleeding Through – “Rise” (from “Portrait Of The Goddess”, 2002) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

25. Nostromo – “Selfish Blues” (from “Argue”, 1998)

26. MouthBreather – “Tourniquet” (from “Pig” E.P., 2017)

27. Burnt By The Sun – “Dracula With Glasses” (from “Soundtrack To The Personal Revolution”, 2002)

28. Fawn Limbs – “The Gradience Of Rescue & Exposition” (from “Sleeper Vessels”, 2020)

29. Dealer – “Tourniquet” (from “Saint” E.P., 2020)

30. All Shall Perish – “Eradication” (from “The Price Of Existence”, 2006)

31. Winds Of Plague – “Drop The Match” (from “Against the World”, 2011) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

32. Fit For An Autopsy – “Still We Destroy” (from “Hellbound”, 2013)

33. Despised Icon – “In The Arms Of Perdition” (from “The Ills Of Modern Man”, 2007)

34. Aversions Crown – “The Soil” (from “Hell Will Come For Us All”, 2020)

35. Premonitions Of War – “Mother Night Revisited” (from “Left In Kowloon”, 2004)

November 01, 2020 08:30 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Amaranthe – “Invincible” (from “The Nexus”, 2013)

9/10. Another killer track from the awesome yet over-hated Amaranthe album The Nexus, displaying the band's Nightwish influences while mixing them with the trance metal sounds from other bands like Crossfaith and Blood Stain Child. An interesting example of such a genre! That chorus would make you scream "ONE MORE TIME!!!", which is what Andreas screams between the two parts of each chorus.

Strawberry Hospital – “A Confession, A Cadaver” (from “Strawberry Hospital” E.P., 2020)

8/10. Again it's hard for me to digest the overly experimental mix of electro-trance with ambient black/metalcore/screamo. It does sound somewhat enjoyable for anyone who wants to get in on this experimental action.

Trivium – “Like Light To The Flies” (from “Ascendancy”, 2005)

10/10. Yet another classic from Trivium's breakthrough album Ascendancy, and one of my personal favorite songs in the album, once again showing how good this band can possibly be. I wish I have my own iPod so I can listen to this song anytime, anywhere.

Between The Buried & Me – “Aspirations” (from “Between The Buried & Me”, 2002)

10/10. Another metalcore hit, this one from a band that would later fully switch to progressive metal. There's some fantastic performance from the two guitarists. Once again, despite starting out with some brutality, there's another melodic section that sounds like something you could hear in an Iron Maiden. At one point, there's a falsetto verse performed by... I think it was Tommy Rogers, because he performed it perfectly when the band was playing that song in the Colors Live DVD. That song is definitely one of the best in the album.

Prayer For Cleansing – “Feinbhas a Ghabhail” (from “Rain In Endless Fall”, 1999)

9/10. Right after commenting on a Between the Buried and Me song, I'm now commenting on a track by a band that had BTBAM members before that band's formation, Prayer for Cleansing! I love this song and album, though I wish it could have higher quality.

God Forbid – “Better Days” (from “Gone Forever”, 2004)

9/10. This song, originally released in its eponymous EP released a year earlier, has more prominent cleaning in the chorus than other songs in that God Forbid album and their earlier ones. That song has such an upbeat riff. Nice!

Threat Signal – “Rational Eyes” (from “Under Reprisal”, 2006)

8/10. I picked this song because this was the first one ever made by Threat Signal with a demo of the track first released on the internet. The song received many awards and the success created a following for the band even before playing live. Cool, right? It's a great starting point for anyone new to listening to this band. Same for me almost two years ago when I started listened to them, but now, not so much. The Demanufacture-era Fear Factory-like sound with more melody has recently become flat for me.

Gulch – “Self-Inflicted Mental Terror” (from “2019 Promo”, 2019)

7/10. Again with that band Gulch! This is a demo version of the song that appears in their album Impenetrable Cerebral Fortress. It does fit well with the title, sounding too much like it was written by a mentally ill terrorist. I'm sorry, but I just can't handle this brutal grind-metalcore...

Bleeding Through – “Rise” (from “Portrait Of The Goddess”, 2002)

9/10. Now this track I love much more. Like that Gulch track, it's really short at two minutes long, but it's basically the head-banging melodeath-influenced metalcore action I can stand, with John Pettibone of Himsa on guest vocals.

Winds Of Plague – “Drop The Match” (from “Against the World”, 2011)

10/10. An awesome brutal symphonic deathcore song! I can imagine this scenario; after graduating from college, a few arsonists decide to torch down their high school while playing this song on their stereo at maximum volume. Then when a cop shows up to try to stop them, he hears the music and says, "Ooh, is that Winds of Plague?! I'm a big fan of that band! Mind if I borrow this CD and return it to you later?", and the arsonist leader replies, "H*ll yeah you can." After the cop receives the CD, he drives away blasting the album on his radio, while the arsonists carry on with the school-burning. An unlikely but interesting scenario to fit with this killer song.

Holy cr*p, this is probably the biggest amount of tracks I've commented in any playlist so far (10), probably big enough to make a good little compilation album, and 8 of them are my suggestions new and leftover! Thanks Daniel for allowing all those songs into the playlist! I don't mean to look like I'm dominating your playlists, but seeing that I'm the only Revolution member who's currently active, I just want people who look for playlists like this to know that The Revolution is not a deserted clan, you don't have to find too many tracks that you might or might not enjoy, and someone in that clan (yours truly) is really passionate and wants to make the playlist more organic. I would probably suggest 8 more tracks for December, but I don't wanna push my luck, so maybe the usual 7. And of course, one of them will be a Christmas-y song, for the holidays!

February 03, 2022 11:05 PM

My thoughts on a couple more tracks (as part of my Revolution playlist band catchup):

Every Time I Die – “Moor” (from “From Parts Unknown”, 2014)

4.5/5. A sick underrated song! Enough said.

The Ghost Inside – “Aftermath” (from “The Ghost Inside”, 2020)

5/5. YES!!! My second attempt to try this song and it's still solid! Some might be reminded of Stick to Your Guns at some points. The last minute and a half hit hard. I'm glad the band is still going strong after recovering from that bus crash, including Andrew Tkaczyk, who lost one of his legs in the crash, still having his impressive drumming skills.