Metal Academy Radio - "The Revolution" Playlist October 2020

First Post September 30, 2020 09:26 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1PunROBVHshXf69cqBe28y?si=DmQrOTNpTAKas4oC5FxrpA

Tracklisting:

01. Invent, Animate – “Dark” (from “Greyview”, 2020)

02. Glass Casket – “In Between The Sheets” (from “We Are Gathered Here Today…”, 2017)

03. Shadows Fall – “The Unknown” (from “Fire From The Sky”, 2012) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

04. Enter Shikari – “Rat Race” (from “Rat Race” E.P., 2013)

05. HORSE The Band – “Anti-Pizza” (from “Pizza” E.P., 2006)

06. All That Remains – “The Deepest Gray” (from “This Darkened Heart”, 2004) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

07. Zao – “Autopsy” (from “Liberate Te Ex Inferis”, 1999)

08. Gulch – “Burning Desire To Draw Last Breath” (from “Burning Desire To Draw Last Breath” E.P., 2018)

09. Kickback – “Sideshow” (from “No Surrender”, 2009)

10. Unbroken – “End Of A Lifetime” (from “Life. Love. Regret.”, 1994)

11. Oathbreaker – “The Abyss Looks Into Me” (from “Eros|Antheros”, 2013)

12. Between The Buried & Me – “Mordecai” (from “The Silent Circus”, 2003) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

13. Ice Nine Kills – “Stabbing In The Dark” (from “The Silver Scream”, 2018) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

14. Equilibrium – “Renegades – A Lost Generation” (from “Renegades”, 2019)

15. Poison The Well – “Apathy Is A Cold Body” (from “You Come Before You”, 2003)

16. The Chariot – “Tongues” (from “One Wing”, 2012)

17. Cave In – “Juggernaut” (from “Until Your Heart Stops”, 1999)

18. Gaza – “Hospital Fat Bags” (from “I Don’t Care Where I Go When I Die”, 2006)

19. Converge – “The Broken Vow” (from “Jane Doe”, 2001) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

20. Pressure Cracks – “Like Father Like None” (from “This Is Called Survival”, 2020)

21. Year Of The Knife – “Sick Statistic” (from “Internal Incarceration”, 2020)

22. Suicide Silence – “Skin Tight” (from “Become The Hunter”, 2020)

23. Black Tongue – “Second Death” (from “Nadir”, 2018)

24. END – “Necessary Death” (from “From The Unforgiving Arms Of God” E.P., 2017)

25. Misery Signals – “Set In Motion” (from “Controller”, 2008)

26. The Acacia Strain – “Feed A Pigeon Breed A Rat” (from “Slow Decay”, 2020)

27. Animosity – “Bombs Over Rome” (from “Animal”, 2007)

28. The Red Chord – “Hour Of Rats” (from “Fed Through The Teeth Machine”, 2009)

29. Thy Art Is Murder – “Dear Desolation” (from “Dear Desolation”, 2017)

October 05, 2020 06:06 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Shadows Fall – “The Unknown” (from “Fire From The Sky”, 2012)

10/10. One of the best Shadows Fall songs ever! Shredding licks, a singable chorus, dual vocals, and superb song structuring, this song has them all and is how a lot of the album Fire From the Sky goes.

All That Remains – “The Deepest Gray” (from “This Darkened Heart”, 2004)

8/10. Not as awesome as that Shadows Fall song, but I still enjoy this. It has a double-edge sword in vocals with one edge being the rough grunts and screams and the other edge being the melodic clean vocals. Labonte's clean vocals come in during the chorus at the same time as low grunts and high screams.

Between The Buried & Me – “Mordecai” (from “The Silent Circus”, 2003)

10/10. This was back when BTBAM was more metalcore than the progressive metal that would dominate their later releases. It is the high point of the album The Silent Circus. It begins with the technical death metal from bands like Suffocation and Misery Index and, after a brief 5-second Steve Vai/Frank Zappa riffing, the relentless action of The Dillinger Escape Plan. Then there's a bit of a melodic death/groove metal section. After that, everything changes with guitars switching from distorted to clean, and Tommy Rogers delivers his first ever clean vocals in a soft style similar to Thom Yorke. Keyboards and heavy chords come in before the song becomes a full-on metalcore power ballad, with Rogers' emotive singing and clean guitars from Paul Waggoner.

Ice Nine Kills – “Stabbing In The Dark” (from “The Silver Scream”, 2018)

10/10. A killer song perfect for October's playlist because it's directly based on the horror film Halloween. The music transits from soft and beautiful to a brutal onslaught of growling vocals, intricate guitars, and heavy drums as the horror goes on. You know how I said that there's a music video my alt-rock-loving brother recommended I watch and listen that made interested in Ice Nine Kills. That video is this song! I care more about the music than the videos, so I skipped the video and went onto the song which is incredible! There's also a recent acoustic version featuring Matt Heafy from Trivium whom I think would fit better in the originally heavy version.

Converge – “The Broken Vow” (from “Jane Doe”, 2001)

9/10. This is a song from one of the greatest non-melodic metalcore albums ever, Converge's Jane Doe! has remarkable lyrics from not just Bannon but also from other hardcore vocalists like Kevin Baker (The Hope Conspiracy), Tre McCarthy (Deathwish Inc.), and Caleb Scofield (Cave In), especially during the final screaming line, "I'll take my love to the grave!!" Yes I am commenting on another track that features the late Caleb Scofield. RIP

Misery Signals – “Set In Motion” (from “Controller”, 2008)

10/10. I knew getting interested in Misery Signals was the right move. I love this one! Especially the guitar tones that might remind some of Himsa. Thanks for including this perfect song, Daniel, along with my suggestions!

November 19, 2020 02:07 AM

My thought on one more track:

Gaza – “Hospital Fat Bags” (from “I Don’t Care Where I Go When I Die”, 2006)

11/10 (not exaggerating). This song charges through dissonant rhythmic guitar that often ascend to harmony then is dragged back down by chaos but keeps climbing to create tension. Then everything slows down for a melodic punk-influenced sludge section as a nice parallel. Probably the most killer mathcore song I've heard in ages!

January 31, 2022 10:30 AM

My thoughts on two more tracks (as part of my Revolution band catchup):

Enter Shikari – “Rat Race” (from “Rat Race” E.P., 2013)

5/5. This one's very cool! This might be my chance to catch up with this band and start listening to them for real.

HORSE The Band – “Anti-Pizza” (from “Pizza” E.P., 2006)

4.5/5. HORSE the Band provides some of the mightiest Nintendocore in existence. Just imagine yourself skateboarding all over the town to find a pizza restaurant. "JUST GIVE ME SOME F***ING PIZZA!!!"