Metal Academy Radio - "The Revolution" Playlist September 2020

First Post September 12, 2020 09:05 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2j16LrRrLXbhLC2TV5ZUes?si=MXEG57IVQ8W0DnV0HZpZ1A

01. Bleeding Through – “Savior, Saint, Salvation” (from “Portrait Of The Goddess”, 2002) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

02. Betraying The Martyrs – “Man Made Disaster” (from “Breathe In Life”, 2011) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

03. Misery Signals – “Sunlifter” (from “Ultraviolet”, 2020)

04. Strawberry Hospital – “Chimera” (from “Grave Chimera”, 2018)

05. HORSE The Band – “Cutsman” (from “R. Borlax”, 2003)

06. Amaranthe – “Trinity” (from “Massive Addicitve”, 2014) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

07. Shadows Fall – “Root Bound Apollo” (from “Of One Blood”, 2000) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

08. Skycamefalling – “With Paper Wings” (from “10.21”, 2000)

09. 7 Angels 7 Plagues – “The Commentator’s Despair” (from “Jhazmyne’s Lullaby”, 2001)

10. Loathe – “Two-Way Mirror” (from “I Let It In & It Took Everything”, 2020)

11. Disembodied – “Heroin Fingers” (from “If God Only Knew The Rest Were Dead” E.P., 1998)

12. Every Time I Die – “Map Change” (from “Low Teens”, 2016)

13. The Dillinger Escape Plan – “Farewell, Mona Lisa” (from “Option Paralysis”, 2010) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

14. Trivium – “Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr” (from “Ascendency”, 2005) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

15. Snapcase – “Caboose” (from “Progression Through Unlearning”, 1997)

16. Sunami – “Gate Crasher” (from “Sunami” E.P., 2020)

17. Code Orange – “Swallowing The Rabbit Whole” (from “Underneath”, 2020)

18. Zao – “Lies Of Serpents, A River Of Tears” (from “Where Blood & Fire Bring Rest”, 1998)

19. Norma Jean – “Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste” (from “Bless The Martyr & Kiss…”, 2002)

20. Vein – “Virus://Vibrance” (from “Errorzone”, 2018)

21. The Chariot – “The City” (from “Long Live”, 2010)

22. Converge – “I Can Tell You About Pain” (from “The Dusk In Us”, 2017) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

23. The Red Chord – “Sixteen Bit Fingerprint” (from “Fused Together In Revolving Doors”, 2002)

24. Fit For An Autopsy – “The Sea Of tragic Beasts” (from “The Sea Of Tragic Beasts”, 2019)

25. The Devil Wears Prada – “Outnumbered” (from “Zombie” E.P., 2010)

26. Lorna Shore – “Immortal” (from “Immortal”, 2020)

27. END – “Covet Not” (from “Splinters From An Ever-Changing Face”, 2020)

28. Umbra Vitae – “Ethereal Emptiness” (from “Shadow of Life”, 2020)

September 13, 2020 12:49 AM

Great list, Daniel! I'm glad to see that you picked up all of my suggestions instead of cutting them down to 3, probably because I'm currently the only active Revolution member, so thanks for that. Here are my thoughts on them:

Bleeding Through – “Savior, Saint, Salvation” (from “Portrait Of The Goddess”, 2002)

10/10. What better way to start the playlist than with this 6 and a half minute melodeath-ish metalcore epic. It starts with softly with nice keyboard touches, then the heavy chaos comes back. Brandan really his notes with no strain. M. Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold (a metalcore band at the time before morphing into a hard rock/metal band my brother likes) does guest clean singing in the slower epic sections. That was a great song, one of their best!

Betraying The Martyrs – “Man Made Disaster” (from “Breathe In Life”, 2011)

9/10. A killer song from the album where Betraying the Martyrs had their original symphonic deathcore/metalcore sound. This has a mix of deathcore vocal/instrumentation brutality, powerful clean vocals, and orchestral background.

Amaranthe – “Trinity” (from “Massive Addictive”, 2014)

8/10. I chose this song because it's a strong symbolization of the band, and more importantly the number 3; a 3-singer band singing their third song in their third album with their band logo being a triangle. Slightly calm but still powerful!

Shadows Fall – “Root Bound Apollo” (from “Of One Blood”, 2000)

10/10. This song is another one of my favorite metalcore songs, here having a fast searing Metallica-like solo. This was actually originally a song by Fair's former band Overcast, but it ended up in this album. It would later be re-recorded on the Overcast album Reborn to Kill Again.

The Dillinger Escape Plan – “Farewell, Mona Lisa” (from “Option Paralysis”, 2010)

9/10. Say hello to TDEP's mathcore again! It was a track that really teased what new direction the band might take in that album. The band gets really frantic in the first two minutes before the midsection artistry. The melodramatic chaotic ending breakdown is probably one of the band's heaviest moments since Miss Machine.

Trivium – “Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr” (from “Ascendancy”, 2005)

11/10 (not exaggerating). Trivium's best and most popular song before "In Waves", displaying their diversity. It’s loaded with as much brutality and speed as melody. Yet another reason why I love this band so much!

Converge – “I Can Tell You About Pain” (from “The Dusk In Us”, 2017)

9/10. A pretty impressive song, especially in Bannon's apocalyptic delivery. Enough said!

September 13, 2020 02:14 AM

Nice notes Andi. No thoughts on the tracks you didn’t submit? I’m always interested to know if my selections are hitting the mark or not & I already know you love your own submissions.

September 13, 2020 03:01 AM

I wasn't thinking of the other tracks because I already know the ones I submitted and seeing how many tracks this playlist has, it would take way too long to review them all. I'm gonna listen to a few more songs from this playlist and see how I like them. I might even do the same for the playlists for my other clans. More track thoughts coming..

September 13, 2020 10:29 AM

My thoughts on a few other tracks:

Misery Signals – “Sunlifter” (from “Ultraviolet”, 2020)

10/10. I made the right choice of choosing this song to listen to. Misery Signals is the exact band this generation needs for a great impact of heart-shedding emotion. This song, "Sunlifter" has just became my favorite song of this year! It's amazing how a band that disappeared for a few years came back just in time to deliver a new album with awesome material like this song. Welcome back, Misery Signals, I'll be listening to more of you...

Strawberry Hospital – “Chimera” (from “Grave Chimera”, 2018)

8/10. Strawberry Hospital is an interesting project, mixing electro-trance with ambient black/metalcore/screamo. It's pretty great, but I don't think it's enough to consider more listens than just one. Too experimental, I guess.

HORSE The Band – “Cutsman” (from “R. Borlax”, 2003)

9/10. As some of you already know, I've reviewed HORSE the Band's recent album Desperate Living as part of The Revolution Melodic Metalcore clan challenge, and it was never really the best in that challenge. Now after getting interested in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, it was time to make another attempt on a synth-metalcore band which is, you guessed it, HORSE the Band! This is a good song to jam to, especially the "CUT CUT CUT" breakdown in the middle. You might think synth-metalcore is a dead genre since this band went on a hiatus, but NOPE, it was reborn by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I also heard that the video game Borderlands 3 has a gun named after this song with its description being part of the song. Now that's genius! Still not feeling up to HORSE the band, though...

So far, those first 7 tracks really hit the mark with their playing order; two over 6-minute early-2000s melodeath-ish metalcore short epics surrounding 5 different-sounding 3-4 minute more recent tracks of different metalcore styles; symphonic deathcore, progressive metalcore, ambient black/trance-metalcore, synth-metalcore, and multi-vocalist trance-metalcore. A great collective overture of metalcore styles before the rest of the playlist. Nicely placed, Daniel!

January 30, 2022 07:58 AM

With all these metalcore bands I've discovered throughout last year and this month, I've decided that it's time to catch up with songs from the band I've discovered and enjoyed since in a few of the earlier Revolution playlists. So here are my thoughts on the tracks I'm catching up with:

Skycamefalling – “With Paper Wings” (from “10.21”, 2000)

5/5. Kicking up the action is probably this band's best hit, filled with driving guitar intensity, one of my favorite metalcore songs to remember! I might just feel up to screaming along to the chorus. After grabbing your throat throughout the song, there's a beautiful piano outro that would inspire hundreds of other bands to add something like that to their songs.

Every Time I Die – “Map Change” (from “Low Teens”, 2016)

4.5/5. This one I also love, especially the lyrics! The music is like a more metallic Mínus.