Metal Academy Radio Playlist Suggestions - The Revolution Edition

First Post August 24, 2020 04:25 AM

So I'm sure you're probably aware that we've been trialing a new concept through our Metal Academy Radio Spotify playlists recently, right? Well some of our regular contributors & I have been discussing the idea of our clan members making a contribution to the monthly playlists by making recommendations on tracks for inclusion. To make it a true playlist, we'd encourage you to stick predominantly to your favourite tracks from releases you listen to across the course of each month rather than something you enjoyed some time ago as this will make the tracklistings somewhat of a reflection of our member's current playlists which was always our long-term intention. It can be new, old, classic or underground... whatever you happen to be digging at the time as long as it fits in with the clan's designated subgenres. At this stage we're going with a policy of only members of the associated clan being eligible to make submissions for the relevant playlists so that they're a truly clan-based undertaking.

So please treat this thread as your opportunity to contribute guys. We need to make sure that these playlists offer a broad cross-section of the clan's musical footprint so we can't promise that everything will make the final cut but let's see what ya got!

August 24, 2020 04:52 AM

Here are some of my suggestions for this month's Revolution playlist in case you haven't completed it yet, please choose any of these songs:

Amaranthe - "Afterlife" (from The Nexus, 2013)

August Burns Red - "Defender" (from Guardians, 2020)

Betraying the Martyrs - "Let It Go" (from Phantom, 2014)

Betraying the Martyrs - "Take Me Back" (from The Resilient, 2017)

Bullet for My Valentine - "Tears Don't Fall" (from The Poison, 2005)

Converge - "My Great Devastator" (from The Poacher Diaries (split with Agoraphobic Nosebleed), 1999)

Darkest Hour - "For the Soul of the Savior" (from The Mark of the Judas, 2000)

Trivium - "In Waves" (from In Waves, 2011)

August 26, 2020 10:24 AM

Hey Daniel, I took an early look at this month's Revolution playlist that it looks like you just completed (https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5QylMUK3RZhcK6gZCjqex3), and I'm glad to see that you included almost all of my song suggestions. Thanks Daniel! Nicely done! :+1:

And now for some of my suggestions for next month's Revolution playlist, please choose any of these songs:

Amaranthe - "Trinity" (from Massive Addictive, 2014)

Betraying the Martyrs - "Man Made Disaster" (from Breathe in Life, 2011)

Bleeding Through - "Savior, Saint, Salvation" (from Portrait of the Goddess, 2002)

Converge - "I Can Tell You About Pain" (from The Dusk in Us, 2017)

Shadows Fall - "Root Bound Apollo" (from Of One Blood, 2000)

The Dillinger Escape Plan - "Farewell, Mona Lisa" (from Option Paralysis, 2010)

Trivium - "Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr" (from Ascendancy, 2005)

August 26, 2020 11:12 AM

I wasn't aware that they were visible until I published them here. That one's not ready yet so I'll make them secret until they're ready in future.

September 18, 2020 11:46 PM

OK, time for my suggestions for October's playlist. Since I'm currently the only active Revolution member, and you were able to accept all my suggestions for previous playlists, I'm gonna keep adding 7 suggestions instead of the usual 3, at least until we gain more active Revolution members.

All That Remains - "The Deepest Gray" (from This Darkened Heart, 2004)

Between the Buried and Me - "Mordecai" (from The Silent Circus, 2003)

Converge - "The Broken Vow" (from Jane Doe, 2001)

God Forbid - "Better Days" (from Gone Forever, 2004)

Ice Nine Kills - "Stabbing in the Dark" (from The Silver Scream, 2018) (the perfect "Halloween metalcore" song for this playlist)

Shadows Fall - "The Unknown" (from Fire From the Sky, 2012)

Trivium - "Like Light to the Flies" (from Ascendancy, 2005)

September 24, 2020 01:07 AM

Final call for submissions for the October "The Revolution" playlist....

September 29, 2020 09:26 PM

The October playlist is now completed. Thanks for your submissions Andi. It's a really good set in my opinion.

September 29, 2020 11:10 PM
You're welcome, Daniel.
October 09, 2020 12:17 PM

Here are my suggestions for November's playlist. Since I'm currently the only active Revolution member, and you were able to accept almost all my suggestions for previous playlists, I'm gonna keep adding more than 3 suggestions. However, since it looks like my Revolution playlist suggestion limit has gone slightly lower in October, for November's playlist, I'm gonna suggest 6 songs instead of 7.

Amaranthe - "Invincible" (from The Nexus, 2013)

Between the Buried and Me - "Aspirations" (from Between the Buried and Me, 2002)

Bleeding Through - "Rise" (from Portrait of the Goddess, 2002)

Prayer for Cleansing - "Feinbhas a Ghabhail" (from Rain in Endless Fall, 1999)

Threat Signal - "Rational Eyes" (from Under Reprisal, 2006)

Winds of Plague - "Drop the Match" (from Against the World, 2011)

October 11, 2020 11:19 PM

Please get your submissions in by 15th October if you want them considered for inclusion in the November playlist (maximum three each). And remember, there are seven subgenres covered by The Revolution:

Metalcore

Melodic metalcore

Deathcore

Mathcore

Trancecore

Trance metal

Nintendocore

November 11, 2020 07:58 AM

Here are my suggestions for December's playlist, Daniel. Once again, I love how you managed to keep 8 of my suggestions in November's playlist, but I don't wanna push my luck, so back to my usual 7:

August Burns Red - "Carol of the Bells" (from August Burns Red Presents: Sleddin' Hill, 2012) (perfect Christmas metalcore song for the December playlist)

Converge - "The Saddest Day" (from Petitioning the Empty Sky, 1996)

Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - "Twilight" (from Dance & Scream, 2010)

God Forbid - "To the Fallen Hero" (from IV: Constitution of Treason, 2005)

Underoath - "Anyone Can Dig a Hole But It Takes a Real Man to Call It Home" (from Lost in the Sound of Separation, 2008)

Unearth - "Stronghold" (from The Stings of Conscience, 2001)

Within the Ruins - "Versus" (from Invade, 2010)

December 12, 2020 07:49 AM

Here are my suggestions for January's playlist, Daniel. Because I hit a big jackpot in the December playlist, a massive 23 songs I've reviewed including my own suggestions, other songs from bands I like, and songs from bands I haven't heard before, I think these Revolution playlists can sure help me and fans of metalcore, mathcore, deathcore, and trancecore enjoy their songs from bands in the clan and explore different bands. Not only that, the suggestions from the lone Revolution submitter (me) help keep the playlist organic and save the playlist assembler (you) from having to go through bands you know or don't know just for way more than 3 quarters of a playlist. So yeah, I'm gonna do 8 suggestions this time instead of 7, with the eighth one being the ultimate test of pushing that limit. Here they are:

Amaranthe - "The Nexus" (from The Nexus, 2013)

August Burns Red - "Your Little Suburbia Is in Ruins" (from Thrill Seeker, 2005)

Bleeding Through - "Set Me Free" (from Love Will Kill All, 2018)

Born of Osiris - "Follow the Signs" (from The Discovery, 2011)

Horse the Band - "Lord Gold Throneroom" (from The Mechanical Hand, 2005)

The Dillinger Escape Plan - "Prancer" (from One of Us Is the Killer, 2013)

Trivium - "Pillars of Serpents" (from Ember to Inferno, 2003)

Underoath - "Writing on the Walls" (Define the Great Line, 2006)

OK here's the thing about that last song, Underoath's "Writing on the Walls". The album that song is in, Define the Great Line, is not in this site yet because it's non-metal due to its Metalcore genre not fitting the 1:2 ratio in RYM, but I think that album is definitely metalcore for the most part with Christian lyrics and post-metal influences from bands like Neurosis, and that song is a great example of that style along with foreshadowing the heaviness of their next two albums. So please ask Ben to add that album into the site, and their other non-metal album, They're Only Chasing Safety, to bridge the gap, and once they get added, I'll explain more in a judgement submission. I don't know if you would approve of a song from that album going into this playlist, but it's a good test to see if you can do that and accept 8 suggestions rather than just 7...

January 11, 2021 11:41 AM

OK, time for my suggestions for February's playlist. Since I'm currently the only active Revolution member, and you were able to accept all my suggestions for previous playlists when limited to 7, I'm gonna keep adding them at that limit, at least until we gain more active Revolution members.

After the Burial - "A Vicious Reforming of Features" (from Rareform, 2008)

August Burns Red - "Spirit Breaker" (from Rescue & Restore, 2013)

Bleeding Through - "Love Lost in a Hail of Gun Fire" (from This Is Love, This Is Murderous, 2003)

The Dillinger Escape Plan - "Hollywood Squares" (from Irony Is a Dead Scene, 2002)

Parkway Drive - "Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em" (from Killing with a Smile, 2005)

Underoath - "And I Dreamt of You" (from Cries of the Past, 2000)

Unearth - "Endless" (from The Oncoming Storm, 2004)

February 10, 2021 02:24 AM

OK, time for my suggestions for March's playlist. Since I'm currently the only active Revolution member, and you were able to accept all my suggestions for previous playlists when limited to 7, I'm gonna keep adding them at that limit, at least until we gain more active Revolution members.

All That Remains - "Tru-Kvlt-Metal" (from The Order of Things, 2015)

Betraying the Martyrs - "The Great Disillusion" (from The Resilient, 2017)

Botch - "Hives" (from American Nervoso, 1998)

The Dillinger Escape Plan - "Limerent Death" (from Dissociation, 2016)

God Forbid - "Antihero" (from Gone Forever, 2004)

Unearth - "One with the Sun" (from Extinction(s), 2018)

Veil of Maya - "Dark Passenger" (from [id], 2010)

March 04, 2021 07:48 PM

Hi everyone. Please be aware that we're going to trial something a little different for the April "The Revolution" playlist. Given that we only have one contributing clan member for The Revolution, we're going to open up the opportunity to members of other clans to contribute one track suggestion each.

Also, we're adjusting the limit for The Revolution clan members to a maximum of five tracks each.

March 04, 2021 11:56 PM
Sounds fair, Daniel! Looking forward to seeing what the other members suggest...
March 08, 2021 12:56 PM

Here are my suggestions for April's playlist, following the 5 tracks in 30 minutes rule that I've applied to when I'm submitting for my 4 clans:

Born of Osiris - "Empires Erased" (3:26) from The New Reign (2007)

Demon Hunter - "Not Ready to Die" (5:03) from Summer of Darkness (2004)

God Forbid - "The End of the World" (6:09) from IV: Constitution of Treason (2005)

Underoath - "Emergency Broadcast :: The End is Near" (5:44) from Lost in the Sound of Separation (2008)

Within the Ruins - "Ataxia II" (5:09) from Elite (2013)

Total length: 25:31

March 09, 2021 01:52 AM

About that Trivium song... Sorry, Vinny, it's just so good! And sorry if you were thinking of suggesting a song from the In Waves album, Sonny.

Quoted shadowdoom9

Andi, please pick another song. Sonny already said in another thread that he intends on picking a track from "In Waves" & you've got a lot more options to choose from.

March 09, 2021 09:02 AM
Replaced two submissions... (see above)
March 09, 2021 08:20 PM

Bury Your Dead - House of Straw from Beauty and the Breakdown (2006)

March 14, 2021 02:00 AM

April

Anna Pest - "Swordmaiden" - Dark Arms Reach Skyward With Bone White Fingers (2021)

March 14, 2021 02:02 PM

My submission for April's playlist is the title track from Trivium's In Waves album.

March 14, 2021 02:43 PM

My submission for April's playlist is the title track from Trivium's In Waves album.

Quoted Sonny92

Even though I’ve already submitted this track for an earlier playlist, I won’t argue here. It’s your treat after all, Sonny, and the song is what I think is the best of the best!

March 14, 2021 02:56 PM

Hey, you can't keep a good song down!