September 2024 Featured Release - The Revolution Edition

First Post August 31, 2024 08:10 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Revolution has been nominated by myself. It's the 1995 "Master Killer" debut album from New York metalcore outfit Merauder, a record I've had on my radar to investigate for several years now.

https://metal.academy/releases/3179

September 07, 2024 07:40 PM

Here's my review:

I'd never explored a full Merauder release prior to nominating their 1995 debut album "Master Killer" for feature release status last week but there was no doubt about which one I'd have a crack at as the reception for their first-up effort has tended to dwarf the remainder of their back catalogue over the years. My recent investigation of the stronger 1990's metalcore records has reaped quite a bit of reward thus far & the general reputation that "Master KIller" has built for itself saw me feeling a level of confidence & anticipation leading into my first listen & that faith proved to be warranted too because Merauder's piece da resistance proved itself to be worthy of all the hype & acclaim.

The strength of Cro-Mags guitarist Parris Mitchell Mayhew's production job hit me like a tonne of bricks during the first few seconds of "Master Killer" as it certainly doesn't sound like it was recorded almost three decades ago. The weight of the guitars & the clarity of the sound is a major feather in Merauder's cap & allows the material the best possible chance to win over the first-time listener. The riffs & song-writing appear to be very solid too though & after the first song I was left wondering whether I may have stumbled onto one of the more important metalcore releases in my lifetime. Unfortunately, muscular opener "Time Ends" is as good as the album gets though but that's not to say that the remainder of the album is anything to scoff at because that's far from the truth.

Merauder's sound is often tagged as a combination of metalcore, groove metal & New York hardcore but I think that's a little ambitious to be honest. There' really not much doubt that "Master Killer" is a metal release so I don't think the New York hardcore references are all that relevant, despite the clear influence in the crushingly heavy yet inherently simple power chord riffage. The groove metal reference is a little more relevant but it's honestly more to do with the vocals of front man Jorge Merauder than anything musical as he sounds exactly (& I mean EXACTLY) like Pantera legend Phil Anselmo's more violent work on "Far Beyond Driven". Jorge brings the aggression in a major way here & is a major drawcard for Merauder, acting as the ringleader in what amounts to a highly professional & efficient metalcore outing. There's probably more of a thrash metal influence in the instrumentation than there is a groove metal one in all honestly with Slayer riffs popping up quite regularly but the vocals & general structure inevitably draw things back into the metalcore space.

You won't find any duds on this classy debut with the tracklisting being completely blemish-free. The weaker moments tend to occur when the band go for a bouncier/rappier delivery like on "Life is Pain" or where the chorus hook sounds a little clunky like on "Fear of Sin" but neither are without their charms. The previously-mentioned opener "Time Ends" is probably the heaviest of the ten tracks included here & I've quickly fallen in love with its masculinity & power. The title track "Master Killer" is probably my second favourite inclusion & it's not hard to see why it was selected as the focal point of Merauder's sole music video. I also really enjoy the thrashy "Downfall of Christ" which really gets me going but there's a lot to enjoy here.

If "Master Killer" has a weakness then it's probably the lack of sophistication in the riff structures as this is all pretty basic stuff that could be achieved by almost any metalcore band reasonably comofortably. I'm not sure that matters much with this style of music though as it's hardly the point of the punk mentality now, is it? "Master Killer" is all about telling stories of the streets which is very much in line with the essence of the New York hardcore scene & they do it with a enormous amount of success too. There are perhaps more substantial metalcore records out there & I'm not sure that "Master Killer" will quite make it into my top ten or anything but it's a very solid effort nonetheless & I can't see it disappointing too many The Revolution members.

For fans of All Out War, Twitching Tongues & Terror.

4/5