September 2023 - Feature Release - The Revolution Edition

First Post August 31, 2023 07:11 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Revolution has been nominated by myself. It's the 2008 "Colors_Live" live album from North Carolina progressive metalcore outfit Between The Buried & Me, a release that sees them reproducing their classic 2007 fifth album "Colors" in its entirety. Now, I'm not even familiar with the "Colors" album but "Colors_Live" still managed to make a significant impact on me so I can only imagine that fans of this sort of sound will likely be foaming at the mouth over a record of this quality.

https://metal.academy/releases/7005

September 01, 2023 12:29 AM

Now this looks like a good album to revisit this band's progressive metalcore material that I've lost contact with after Colors II. The first Colors album performed live entirely along with some tracks from their first 3 albums. My review and summary coming soon...

September 06, 2023 10:48 AM

I've done my review, here's its summary:

When I was still enjoying this band, their 2002 self-titled debut was a solid start that showed their metalcore side at their rawest. The Silent Circus began to display their more progressive tendencies. Then Alaska was a perfect phenomenon of progressive metalcore innovation. This is only surpassed by a few points by the stunning diamond gem that was Colors, in which their experimental deathly progressive metalcore sound is in full prodigious force throughout basically a 64-minute epic split into 8 tracks. And then came this live rendition of that colorful journey, as you get to hear to all the different twists into other genres while standing by their progressive metalcore. Pretty much all of the instruments and vocals have different variations that seamlessly transcend from one place to another, all in a range from beauty to brutality. The DVD version includes their second set songs from their first 3 albums voted by fans in a special online poll. And it's an amazing selection, I must say, a trip through their earlier, more metalcore days. Colors Live is a monstrous live experience like none other from this modern progressive metal fivesome BTBAM. This is an excellent live journey you just gotta hear to believe!

4.5/5