August 2023 Feature Release - The Revolution Edition

First Post July 31, 2023 08:05 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Revolution has been nominated by myself. It's 1998's very solid "When Forever Comes Crashing" third album from Massachusetts' metalcore superstars Converge, a release that I actually prefer to their unanimously worshipped 2001 follow-up album "Jane Doe". Let's see what you guys think of it.

https://metal.academy/releases/238

August 01, 2023 12:24 AM

Here's my review summary:

Converge is known as one of the pioneers of the metal/hardcore mix that is metalcore, and a developer of its mathematical subgenre mathcore. They're highly popular in the metalcore community despite the lack of mainstream attention. Its extreme taste might take a while to get used to but it has gotten better as time went on and the band would reach bigger labels for a bigger audience... I'm definitely sure you won't get straight into Converge right away. Listening to a band that extreme takes time for its full pleasure. I thought When Forever Comes Crashing only deserved a lower rating at first, but now I realize how incredibly extraordinary it is! I think another math/metalcore band this good is The Dillinger Escape Plan. Many of the songs strike with dissonant guitars and pummeling drums, and no metalcore fan can ever complain about the strong outstanding vocals, though it's astonishing how Jacob Bannon's vocal chords can survive his screaming sounding so intensely harsh. The songs are all strong for the most part with almost nothing being bad or week. And I think both the original album artwork created by Bannon and the reissue artwork by Aaron Turner (Isis) are amazing. However, the album and the band might not appeal to everyone in the world. Nonetheless, When Forever Comes Crashing is another fine metalcore album worth your money!

5/5