November 2022 Feature Release - The Revolution Edition

First Post October 31, 2022 10:29 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Revolution, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is last year's EP by New Jersey-based epic deathcore band Lorna Shore, ...And I Return to Nothingness. One of the most epic and brutal at the same time EPs I've heard recently, making me up to checking out more of this band Lorna Shore, thanks to my brother blasting this EP (among other songs) in a car ride. The EP's sound that mixes deathcore with symphonic black/tech-death influences is enough for anyone to realize the greatness of the genre, and to pump them up for their new album Pain Remains, which actually has a slight step up from this EP but never mind that. And I Return to Nothingness is an incredible start for anyone wanting to check out this band for the first time, and something the more extreme fans here can't miss!

https://metal.academy/releases/29982

October 31, 2022 10:45 PM

Here's my review summary:

A couple months ago, I had a not-so-ordinary family car ride, with the driver, my usually alt-rock/metal-loving brother, blasting this EP (among other songs) along the way, and holy mother, this was one of the most epic and brutal at the same time EPs I've heard recently! I recognized one of the songs and remembered where it's from, so I knew I had to find the right time to listen to it at home. I was prepared for a full listen to this EP by myself, and let me just say, this is THE deathcore EP of 2021, and facing it head-on is demanded if you haven't given a listen in the year since release! You know how much the sh*t is real from the start. Lorna Shore has let go of two vocalists, one for another band Chelsea Grin, and the other due to abuse allegations. Enter Will Ramos, a young yet monstrous vocalist whom his first song with the band has become their entryway to popularity. Here we have three 6-minute pieces of symphonic black/technical deathcore epicness filled with berserk vocals, shredding guitar, machine-gun drumming, grand orchestra, and don't forget... breakdowns, brutal pulverizing breakdowns. I can't believe how incredible this is! If you're a deathcore fan enjoying this as much as me and my brother, you definitely need it. If you're like my indifferent-to-extremeness parents, you're better off elsewhere. This deathcore gem has made history for a epic brutal future!

5/5

Recommended tracks: ALL 3 tracks, though I would especially recommend the title track

For fans of: Shadow of Intent, Brand of Sacrifice, Chelsea Grin

November 06, 2022 12:14 AM

I have very little to say about this EP that was not already echoed in my review for the new LP, Pain Remains, that was released just last month. It's a very interesting concept combining Fleshgod Apocalypse stylings of insane symphonic technical death metal, matched with some of the filthiest breakdowns so far this side of the 2020s. The melodic songwriting in both the vocals and instrumentals (symphonic strings, guitar, etc.) is very well done and gives these songs a sense of forward momentum and drive. However, it still suffers heavily from the deathcore "problem" of being brutal for its own sake. Breakdowns feel disjointed at times, the kick drum actively distracts, and Will Ramos' vocals are so compressed behind filters and vocal layering that its hard to understand a thing that is being said, which may work for some in this style of music, but coming to it following a fauré into Shadow of Intent, I don't see the appeal.

The only reason this is a higher score than Pain Remains is because this is an EP; probably the only amount of time I could genuinely listen to this type of music and not get bored. Lorna Shore have a bright future ahead of them and have done an adequate job of converting me on extreme metal in the modern day.

7/10

November 16, 2022 11:11 AM

I struggled with this one a bit to be honest. The drumming is certainly nice & brutal but the symphonics are pulled straight out of European power metal which takes most of that edge off & everything sounds far too clinical. It's records like this one that make me question the relevance of the -core reference in the deathcore tagging too because this E.P. is about as far away from the DIY hardcore punk ethos as you're likely to find. 

For fans of Worm Shepherd, Mental Cruelty & Make Them Suffer.

3/5