July 2022 Featured Release - The Revolution Edition

First Post July 01, 2022 07:10 AM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Revolution, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is last year's recent final album from New York-based Southern-ish mathy metalcore band Every Time I Die, Radical. Ever since this album was recommended to me last year within its time of release, it has grown on me time after time to the point where it became my favorite release from that band. After their recent split-up, getting this album featured seems like a good tribute. I definitely would like to see Radical get more attention from the other MA members.

https://metal.academy/releases/31788

July 01, 2022 07:21 AM

Here's my review summary:

So what do you get when you blend southern metal and hardcore punk together into a heroic unique style of metalcore? Every Time I Die! They've observed that timing is everything for the best results. Their radical album Radical was completed in early 2020... Then the virus of damnation attacked. COVID changed everything and prevented concerts from opening. The band waited until they could start touring to release the album, and after playing a couple shows, they decided that it was time... In the human race's battle against the pandemic, Every Time I Die have observed the progress. And finally, the 5-year wait for a new album is over. The 16 songs waiting to be have been unleashed to pummel the world like a raging monster and wipe out the virus for good! OK, maybe not that last part. You can hear quite furious frenzy in higher heights of heaviness with fierce guitar and primal screamed vocals, alongside theatrical vocal experimentation and an occasional dip into the calm. All right here in this savage ravage marking their short-lived comeback!

5/5

Recommended songs: "Dark Distance", "Sly", "Post-Boredom", "All This and War", "Thing with Feathers", "AWOL", "White Void", "We Go Together"

For fans of: Coalesce, Knocked Loose, Norma Jean

July 01, 2022 07:54 AM

Here's my synopsis from the time of release:

I first became acquainted with Buffalo-based metalcore outfit Every Time I Die back in 2012 through their "Ex Lives" album which I really enjoyed so I thought I'd check this one out after seeing it receiving a fair bit of praise from fans & media. It's a very solid release too. You'll find all of the usual metalcore traits here but the difference is that Every Time I Die are a class act & execute everything splendidly. There's a sophistication to the instrumentation which occasionally borders on mathcore complexity but there's also plenty of variation with the band throwing in a few more commercially focused alternative rock influenced numbers that show off a surprising amount of talent in song-writing & hook-development amidst their usual hardcore-fuelled ferocity. Front man Keith Buckley screams his fucking head off as expected but also showcases a variety of alternative influences from Tom Araya to Serj Tankian to Zack de la Rocha at various times. The album opens & closes with its best tracks which are both absolutely sublime & I left the experience feeling well satisfied with my efforts.

For fans of Coalesce, Ithaca & Drowningman.

4/5