July 2022 "The Revolution" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post June 30, 2022 11:34 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1yFgscg5HWKGoIy2s0xRfG

Tracklisting:

1. Eighteen Visions - "1996" from 1996 (2021) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

2. Ice Nine Kills - "Funeral Derangements" from The Silver Scream 2: Welcome to Horrorwood (2021)

3. Coalesce - "Simulcast" from 002 (1996) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

4. Kublai Khan - "The Truest Love" from Absolute (2019)

5. Static Dress - "Fleahouse" from Rouge Carpet Disaster (2022)

6. Embodyment - "Religious Infamy" from Embrace the Eternal (1998)

7. Reprisal - "The Shadow of Mankind" from Boundless Human Stupidity (2000)

8. Caliban - "A Small Boy and a Grey Heaven" from A Small Boy and a Grey Heaven (1999)

9. Threat Signal - "As I Destruct" from Under Reprisal (2006)

10. Bullet for My Valentine - "You Want a Battle? (Here's a War)" from Venom (2015) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. Strife - "Question Mark" from One Truth (1994)

12. Attack Attack! - "What Happens If I Can't Check My Myspace When We Get There?" from Someday Came Suddenly (2008)

13. Electric Callboy - "Spaceman" from Spaceman (2022)

14. Integrity - "Jimson Isolation" from Den of Iniquity (1994)

15. Deadguy - "Die With Your Mask On" from Fixation on a Coworker (1995)

16. Car Bomb - "Vague Skies" from Meta (2019) [submitted by Daniel]

17. Damaged - "The Mirror Perils" from Token Remedies Research (1997) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

18. Rorschach - "Pavlov's Dogs" from Remain Sedate (1990)

19. The Artificials - "Lone" from Parables of the Human Spirit (2019)

20. Oceans Ate Alaska - "Hansha" from Hikari (2017)

21. Make Them Suffer - "Vortex (Interdimensional Spiral Hindering Inexplicable Euphoria)" from Worlds Apart (2017)

22. Betraying the Martyrs - "Black Hole" from Black Hole (2021)

23. In Hearts Wake - "Timebomb" from Kaliyuga (2020)

24. Memphis May Fire - "Sever the Ties" from This Light I Hold (2016)

25. Parkway Drive - "A Deathless Song" from Ire (2015)

26. Trivium - "Declaration" from Ascendancy (2005) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

27. We Came as Romans - "I Knew You Were Trouble" from Punk Goes Pop, Vol. 6 (2014) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

28. Arkangel - "Killing to Keep the World Turning" from Arkangel is Your Enemy (2008)

29. Deformity - "177252: God Defined" from Misanthrope (1997)

30. Unbroken - "Curtain" from Life. Love. Regret (1994)

July 01, 2022 12:12 AM

Side-note: I was a little shocked when I saw the saw the total playlist length, "1 hr 47 min". I was thinking, "Did Daniel forget to add a few songs?" Then I noticed that all 30 songs are in, so I was confused. Turns out a few of the tracks had the length reduced to 29 seconds for some reason. Must be a Spotify glitch. At least if that happens or there's a song from another playlist that isn't available in my country, I have another way to check it out... YouTube! Anyway, stay tuned for my track thoughts....

July 01, 2022 05:43 AM

For the record, I simply cut & paste the entire playlists across so if there's a track missing at any stage then it'll be because I can't see it at all under the Metal Academy account.

Also, it would appear that Spotify is having some issues with track durations today. Ben & I have done a bit of testing with multiple accounts & there are quite a few releases which are showing 0:29 for all tracks. See Carcass' "Torn Arteries" for example. The tracks all seem to play to their full length though as far as I can tell.

July 03, 2022 01:34 AM

For this month's playlist, I decided to shine more of the spotlight on tracks from the 90s and early 2000s, since my earlier playlists barely have any songs from those eras like one or two per playlist. Part of the inspiration for that motive came from my rediscovery of bands from all different metalcore subgenres (except melodic metalcore when that subgenre wasn't a primary genre at that time), and I would sometimes feel up to adding more to my journey. I like the way this all turned out, so I might continue this for another playlist or so. Of course, I would have to control myself so I don't run out of options from those eras too fast. So here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Eighteen Visions - "1996" from 1996 (2021)

5/5. If we're going travel back to 1996 and its surrounding years, might as well start with a recent song about that year. This is heavy old-school-sounding metalcore that would have you party like it's that year!

Ice Nine Kills - "Funeral Derangements" from The Silver Scream 2: Welcome to Horrorwood (2021)

4.5/5. This is a heavy fast one based on Pet Sematary, in fact basing the music and lyrics on the score and sounds of the movie, the latter coming from a truck horn and a laughing child.

Coalesce - "Simulcast" from 002 (1996)

4/5. This is the only incredible song in that false start of an EP, with some changes into an occasional sludgy sound that would hint at the band's incoming technical experimentation and emotion.

Kublai Khan - "The Truest Love" from Absolute (2019)

3.5/5. Kublai Khan is one of the few bands still around to stay heavy instead of going soft. In fact, the only other band that has probably done the same is Knocked Loose. "FEET TO THE F***ING EARTH!"

Static Dress - "Fleahouse" from Rouge Carpet Disaster (2022)

4/5. This is a melodic starter for its album, bouncing through a noisy mix of singing choruses and harsh verses. It's the perfect setup for what to expect in the album. Things would keep expanding as it all goes on, as the crew stabilize the foundation.

Embodyment - "Religious Infamy" from Embrace the Eternal (1998)

4.5/5. Recorded from an earlier demo is this killer track with brutal growls from Bruce Fitzhugh of Living Sacrifice.

Reprisal - "The Shadow of Mankind" from Boundless Human Stupidity (2000)

3/5. This is the only song that really slightly stands out in this album, reminding me of Underoath at that time.

Caliban - "A Small Boy and a Grey Heaven" from A Small Boy and a Grey Heaven (1999)

3.5/5. This track has the hardcore bass crunch going on that's actually audible, though low and ominous. That's how early metalcore shall roll around here!

Threat Signal - "As I Destruct" from Under Reprisal (2006)

4/5. I loved Threat Signal quite a lot when I was still listening to melodeath mixed with metalcore. The riffs, solos, and drums can be violent in contrast to the melodic singing in the chorus and the awesome solo, probably the best in this playlist that, at this point, has so far gone down to 1996. It's so f***ing good and heavy! I can hear what caused ERRA to be. I would consider the track cyber-ish heavy metalcore.

Bullet for My Valentine - "You Want a Battle? (Here's a War)" from Venom (2015)

4.5/5. This stadium-ready gang-singing anthem really shows the band's higher strengths, having some potential as a theme for a WWE wrestling montage.

Strife - "Question Mark" from One Truth (1994)

4/5. This is the most f***ing metal track in this album, especially that shriek towards the end.

Attack Attack! - "What Happens If I Can't Check My Myspace When We Get There?" from Someday Came Suddenly (2008)

4.5/5. Honestly, this sounds like a mix of metalcore-era Avenged Sevenfold, Black Veil Brides, and Asking Alexandria, plus a bit of Underoath. This is a killer mix of metal and electronics, why exactly do people treat it like sh*t?!

Electric Callboy - "Spaceman" from Spaceman (2022)

4/5. OK, there might be a good amount of metalheads who might hate this, probably hate it far more than Elton John. Sure the instrumentation, vocals, and lyrics might sound ridiculous, but it's still quite fun, and my brother likes it, which is why I submitted this. "The universe is down for my rave attack!"

Integrity - "Jimson Isolation" from Den of Iniquity (1994)

4.5/5. This demo is a sneak peek to their next album System Overload, and has a nice Danzig/Sabbath influence in the pace.

Deadguy - "Die With Your Mask On" from Fixation on a Coworker (1995)

5/5. This mid-paced cruiser keeps up the standard-tuned riff wrath as you hear a ranting frenzy in the vocals ("so quick to deny and patronize"). That's a much better way to start mathcore than the overly experimental Candiria!

Car Bomb - "Vague Skies" from Meta (2019)

4.5/5. An unforgiving sonic crusher.

Damaged - "The Mirror Perils" from Token Remedies Research (1997)

4.5/5. This track is the best of its original album! It turns things around from the sh*tty first half of that album by mixing their deathgrind/deathcore sound with more extreme yet melodic influence than just nu metal.

Rorschach - "Pavlov's Dogs" from Remain Sedate (1990)

5/5. There's not much justice done if I describe in words a song from the very first metalcore album, but this one blasts out into metalcore fury right from its very creation. And those interrogators in Zero Dark Thirty though this music would be torture...

The Artificials - "Lone" from Parables of the Human Spirit (2019)

4.5/5. This is quite f***ing insane! It sounds so emotional, especially the female vocals and that scream over the one-minute mark. The last half-minute is so otherworldly, taking me to another dimension!

Oceans Ate Alaska - "Hansha" from Hikari (2017)

5/5. A different morph between metalcore and ambience. I love it!

Make Them Suffer - "Vortex (Interdimensional Spiral Hindering Inexplicable Euphoria)" from Worlds Apart (2017)

4.5/5. If you pay close attention to this track, the part where vocalist Sean Harmanis screams "A-A A-A-A A-A-A-A A-A A", that's actually Morse code for the subtitle's acronym "ISHIE". Cool, right?!

Betraying the Martyrs - "Black Hole" from Black Hole (2021)

5/5. Sensational new single from BTM! Gotta get the Silver Lining EP as soon as I can...

In Hearts Wake - "Timebomb" from Kaliyuga (2020)

5/5. Alongside the awesome breakdown, this song has a devastating mix of Parkway Drive verses and and Linkin Park choruses. I'm so thankful to find one of the best songs I've heard in this playlist! This amazing fiery banger is what I need to take my mind off the ongoing virus. I can definitely hear a bit of a Crystal Lake vibe in the vocals. The melodic guitars are quite fun as h*ll.

Memphis May Fire - "Sever the Ties" from This Light I Hold (2016)

4.5/5. Another insanely good track! Matty Mullins continues leveling up his vocal intensity.

Parkway Drive - "A Deathless Song" from Ire (2015)

4/5. This is a killer 6-minute finale to its original album, opening with an uplifting acoustic intro before the melody transcends into heavy overdrive. The lyrics are as epic as the song while having a few hilariously cheesy lines like "Let me be your drum of war and love." I still like it! The deluxe edition has a shortened version of the song with guest vocals by Jenna McDougall of Tonight Alive, along with a couple other bonus tracks. My brother likes that shortened version, and so do I. However, I just prefer the original epic, since it seems more Revolution-worthy.

Trivium - "Declaration" from Ascendancy (2005)

5/5. The epic of the pinnacle album of Trivium's career is the album’s 7-minute final track. Intense harmonies, lightning-fast beats and solid grooves mingle together to form a driving wall of sound, basically everything metal fans can surely enjoy. The vocals range from deep growls to higher clean vocals that will strike through the heart of any metal listener.

We Came as Romans - "I Knew You Were Trouble" from Punk Goes Pop, Vol. 6 (2014)

4.5/5. An odd song to choose here, but I still quite love this Taylor Swift cover and this band, We Came as Romans. It's an awesome motivator for when I something going on later today (as of this comment). In fact, much better than Taylor Swift's original song! Kyle Pavone really nailed the vocals here. RIP

Arkangel - "Killing to Keep the World Turning" from Arkangel is Your Enemy (2008)

4/5. Well, time for a few brutal songs to close this playlist. This one's quite killer.

Deformity - "177252: God Defined" from Misanthrope (1997)

3.5/5. working the best and most memorable in its original EP is this 4-minute riff-monster, actually adopting fast breakdowns and catchy vocal sections, despite lyrics of Alien-like extraterrestrial murder.

Unbroken - "Curtain" from Life. Love. Regret (1994)

4/5. This playlist ends with a 9-minute epic to shape up top-notch progressive hardcore/metalcore for a different metal future. Everything is wrapped up with long feedback outro to pleasantly end the short yet wholesome journey this band has made. I know the more hardcore fans would certainly look forward to give this playlist and the song's original album a spin again.

This playlist really worked well with this "early throwback" motive, despite a few slight bumps in the beginning, and I look forward to continuing that idea wisely. I sure would recommend this to any metalcore fan and anyone who isn't into metalcore but wants to get into a great start in enjoying the genre. Thanks Daniel for accepting this and your help with your submission, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!