The Revolution Release of the Year Contenders thread

First Post January 01, 2022 10:16 AM

Hi everyone.

With only one month to go until we announce our release of 2021 for each clan (which will once again be based on our site ratings), Ben & I thought it'd be worth highlighting five key releases contending for each title in order to give everyone the chance to investigate some (or all) of them this month if you wish to. These were some of the more highly regarded releases in the metalcore, deathcore & trance metal space last year:

Knocked Loose - "A Tear In The Fabric Of Life" E.P.  {US metalcore}

Poppy - "Eat (NXT Soundtrack)" E.P.  {US alternative metalcore}

Between The Buried & Me - "Colors II"  {US progressive metalcore}

Every Time I Die - "Radical"  {US metalcore}

Frontierer - "Oxidized"  {Scottish mathcore}

January 24, 2022 06:57 PM

I missed out on Knocked Loose in terms of Revolution stuff and I'm kind of sad I did considering my extreme praise of Oxidized this year. While I think that Oxidized is infinitely better, A Tear In The Fabric Of Life kind of occupies the same space with being a white-knuckled punch in the teeth. There's not much to it but there doesn't really need to be, it's a pretty great example of Metalcore that the genre has needed for quite some time now given the modern trends of most Metalcore. Still don't get the hype around the Poppy release. 

I also couldn't get into Radical, I guess it's just not my type of Metalcore. Frontierer took my #2 spot of the year due to challenging me in a way that really made me respect one of the heaviest albums of the year, contrary to my normal tastes. BTBAM's Colors II also made me rethink some things as I immensely enjoyed the album, making me go back and give Colors I another chance and I ended up liking that more as well. I'm one of the weird ones that actually enjoys Colors II over the original, so The Revolution was surprisingly fantastic this year despite me not listening to much stuff from it.