December 2021 Feature Release – The Revolution Edition

First Post November 30, 2021 07:39 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Revolution has been nominated by myself. It's the 1998 debut album from Detroit-based metalcore outfit Cold As Life entitled "Born To Land Hard".

https://metal.academy/releases/29089

December 11, 2021 09:24 AM

Yeah, I don't mind this album. I've developed a taste for beatdown metalcore over the last couple of years & this example is suitably violent & in-your-face. The vocals are absolutely vicious & help to cater for some of the more generic instrumentation. The tracklisting is a bit top-heavy with highlight tracks like the short & brutal "Little From the World" & my personal favourite "All Alone" being wheeled out very early in the game with the quality petering out a touch at the end with two of the last three tracks being pretty flat. The kick drum is way up there in the mix. In fact, there are times when the double kick sounds almost like blast beats which just about sums up what you can expect from "Born To Land Hard". You won't find much in the way of subtlety here but that's not what a band like Cold As Life are trying to achieve now, is it? They're more about creating an aggressive whirlwind of energy that ticks all of the boxes you need when you're just fucking fed up with the world & want an outlet to help you vent.

For fans of Knocked Loose, Hatebreed & Sunami.

3.5/5