January 2021 Feature Release - The Pit Edition

First Post December 31, 2020 09:03 PM

So we've now managed to rid ourselves of the pathetic excuse for a year that was 2020 which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We're really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don't be shy. 

This month's feature release for The Pit is 1991's classic fifth album from New Jersey's ever-popular thrash metal legends Overkill (entitled "Horrorscope"). We featured Overkill's 1985 debut album  "Feel The Fire" a few months ago & the response was luke-warm at best which left me wondering whether I could draw a greater level of enthusiasm from our members with the album that I regard as Overkill's best work to date. Fingers crossed!

https://metal.academy/releases/1617

January 02, 2021 04:32 AM

In my defense Daniel, I have always been a staunch defended of Overkill beyond their debut album. That album was sloppy; from a production standpoint, to the compositions, and pretty much the entire performance of those compositions. Overkill learned their lesson and made a big change from that record to Taking Over and later on to The Years of Decay and Horrorscope. This album is solid hook driven thrash metal that is varied in stylings, making it super easy to digest. I still stand that The Years of Decay is a better album, but during the early 1990s when the big four were "selling out", this would have certainly scratched that itch.

8/10

January 02, 2021 11:00 AM

My favourite Overkill album from what I have heard and spent quality time with.  A real riff ripping thrash metal album that maintains a high level of consistency throughout.  Had I not been able to get over my initial dislike of Bobby's vocals then I may never have discovered what a great album Horrorscope is.  I kind of want all Overkill records to sound like this but then of course that's what keeps this one top of the pile of favourites from the band.

4.5/5

January 03, 2021 07:27 PM

The last couple of days have seen my long-time feelings on "Horrorscope" being well & truly justified. It's an extremely tight, professional & well-executed piece of thrash metal that showcases a band that was right on top of their game. The production is absolutely spot on & the song structures are beautifully constructed. Bobby Ellsworth's grindier vocal delivery is easily his best yet & creates a bad-assed atmosphere that's most noticeable on the slower tracks which have a very well-received dosage of darkness about them. As with most Overkill albums of the period though, their are a couple of tracks that fall more into the traditional heavy metal camp & I definitely find these to be the least appealing, particularly the Sabbathy instrumental track "Frankenstein" which sounds pretty flat in the context of the material around it. I would have omitted that one. But tracks like "Coma", the title track & "Nice Day... For A Funeral" sit amongst the absolute cream of Overkill's career & it's hard to be critical of such a classy effort. I don't believe that Overkill have ever released a genuinely classic record but "Horrorscope" is their best work for mine.

For fans of Exodus, Anthrax & late 80's Metallica.

4/5