The Stinkers Thread - The Pit Edition

October 02, 2020 08:36 PM

Seriously, why would someone want to hear this as the opening to an album? Does it really enhance anyone's day? If it does then I'd suggest that they may be lacking in maturity.

November 26, 2020 02:15 AM

I can tolerate the first of these six tracks but everything after that is pure shite, particularly the god-awful B-side.

November 27, 2020 01:34 PM
That whole g****mn EP is awful! And don't get me started on that "Devil Went Down to Georgia" cover, almost stealing the credit Skyclad has for founding folk metal.
December 22, 2020 09:19 PM

These two pop cover versions are a hard slog:

December 25, 2020 10:26 PM

I'm really not feeling these sloppy & poorly produced thrashcore & hardcore punk tunes this morning. These Californians were capable of much better than this.

December 25, 2020 11:50 PM

The most deathgrind-sounding technical thrash song!? Probably... I'm glad that their current incarnation, Revocation has a more pleasant tech-death/thrash mix.

January 28, 2021 11:30 PM

"Into The Strange" wasn't a great album but I found this track to be a particular struggle.

January 30, 2021 09:04 PM

I've always found Prong's "Force Fed" to be a bit flat but this track represents the band at their worst. It just sounds like a mess, particularly those vocals which don't seem to know what they want to do.

June 28, 2021 01:58 AM

I enjoyed Anthrax's State of Euphoria slightly more than most other listeners, but still not enough to get me interested in that band full-time. What didn't help was this anti-climatic piece of sh*t song. Besides the awful lyrical quality, just saying "sc-sc-sc-schism" in half of the chorus does not make that chorus real!

June 30, 2021 10:36 AM

I enjoyed Megadeth's third album slightly more than most other listeners, but still not enough to get me interested in that band full-time. What didn't level up my mood were 3 filler failures, starting with this cover of a classic punk hit. I have no idea how that cr*p-track became one of their most popular songs. A metal cover doesn't do well when it sounds too much like the original!

Then this one has some of the worst chorus, samples, and drums I've heard in metal, and I do not need to describe the awful lyrics, just listen for yourselves:

And this one has a "talk sh*t about a former bandmate" attitude that's just so d*mn hard to understand:

Despite all that disappointing sh*t, I've enjoyed a great amount of their third album nonetheless, and you've probably known that by the 4-star rating I've given that album, with almost all the remaining 5 tracks being some of the best by one of the Big 4 of American thrash metal. Only a true die-hard Megadeth fan would fully enjoy that album...

June 30, 2021 11:09 AM

I agree that those three tracks are subpar Andi & I don't have much time for any of them to be honest. I think it's a bit harsh to place them in this thread though as I don't think I'd call any of them genuine stinkers. What gave you the impression that "Anarchy In The UK" is one of Megadeth's most popular songs? It's always seemed to be comfortably the least popular track from the album in my experience.

June 30, 2021 01:03 PM
"Anarchy in the UK" has been a fan favorite (for other fans) and live staple over the years since its album release, being the encore song in many of Megadeth's concerts (like the one you attended that you told us about, Daniel). However, they don't play it live as much as they used to due to controversy over its lyrics of anarchy and the Antichrist.
June 30, 2021 07:22 PM

Yes I'm aware of the fact that "Anarchy In The UK" has been played regularly in a live environment Andi but that doesn't make a track a "fan favourite". That just makes it a good track to get people singing along to at the end of the night due to its simplicity & the fact that everyone knows all the words from the original. That's why it's been played as an encore. Not because it's one of people's favourite Megadeth tracks.

August 21, 2021 05:25 PM

I hate this fucking track, it is embarrasing and completely out of place on what is otherwise one of the most influential albums of the early 80s.

August 22, 2021 07:54 AM

I hate this fucking track, it is embarrasing and completely out of place on what is otherwise one of the most influential albums of the early 80s.

Quoted Sonny

With you here.  Immature and base song writing and I hate the fact that I have this on vinyl and have to sit through it.

August 22, 2021 08:08 AM

Yeah I don't like "Teacher's Pet" either. It massively disrupts the flow of the album & stands out like a sore thumb in the tracklisting. In truth though, there's actually a couple of other tracks on "Black Metal" that don't do a lot for me too though, namely "Raise The Dead" & "To Hell & Back". I certainly enjoy the "Black metal" album but I actually prefer "At War With Satan" & "Welcome To Hell" over it these days.

August 22, 2021 09:46 AM

Yeah I don't like "Teacher's Pet" either. It massively disrupts the flow of the album & stands out like a sore thumb in the tracklisting. In truth though, there's actually a couple of other tracks on "Black Metal" that don't do a lot for me too though, namely "Raise The Dead" & "To Hell & Back". I certainly enjoy the "Black metal" album but I actually prefer "At War With Satan" & "Welcome To Hell" over it these days.

Quoted Daniel

To Hell & Back is a clumsy track for sure, feels hastily written like prime filler on the album.  I mean, notwithstanding the fact that the band aren't noted for a burning level of depth in their songs it is still a poor effort by the way of comparison to the rest of the album.

August 01, 2022 12:48 AM

Part of the problem I had with Machine Head's The Blackening is the lyrics in a few songs here, like in this f***ing slanderous stinker:

Quoted Shadowdoom9 (Andi)

Two years since I've reviewed this album and I still haven't forgotten this atrocity.

August 01, 2022 10:11 PM

Can someone please tell me how this track became a single & is one of the most popular & high regarded songs on Sepultura's 1996 "Roots" album? It's absolutely awful in my opinion.

August 04, 2022 11:30 PM

Part of the problem I had with Machine Head's The Blackening is the lyrics in a few songs here, like in this f***ing slanderous stinker:

Two years since I've reviewed this album and I still haven't forgotten this atrocity.

What's your problem with this one Andi? I don't mind it to be honest. I never pay much attention to lyrics but these seem to be criticizing the way we force minorities into isolation which is a message that I'm 100% behind. Of course they've chosen to use a few naughty words but they've used them in a third person way that's critical of our use of them as a society & I can understand why they've done so. The fact that it's shocked you completely justifies the message.

August 05, 2022 01:50 AM

I am quite used to a bit of naughtiness, but when the lyrics consist of vulgar verses and an emo-sounding chorus, for me it doesn't sound like they're taken too seriously and ends up coming out as a stinker. That and the mediocre riffs and vocals in this song and a couple others show that groove metal is not what I'm in the mood for, though the other half of the album is enjoyable.

February 20, 2023 02:24 AM

Probably one of the worst ever attempts for a thrash-gone-groove metal band to copy Alice in Chains:

February 20, 2023 08:17 AM

Goofy-a** Biohazard-infused sh*t with awful lyrics:

February 20, 2023 02:58 PM

This atrocity is confusing when it dumps the kick-A riffing for weird vocals and horrendous "soloing":