The Stinkers Thread - The Pit Edition

First Post December 09, 2019 10:37 PM

Share your musical abortions here.

December 09, 2019 11:48 PM

I'm not in The Pit, but Lamb of God released a cover album with their original controversial name Burn the Priest. Boy am I glad this earlier name is just for this album. Lamb of God is their real identity!

December 10, 2019 06:41 AM

Some of you may disagree with me but I find this cheesy progressive wank-fest to be incredibly cringe-worthy & tedious. In fact, it single-handedly caused me to drop my overall score for "Terminal Redux" from a 4/5 to a 3.5/5 as it kinda ruins an otherwise pretty consistent tracklisting.

December 10, 2019 10:29 AM
I both agree and disagree with you, Daniel. The first half of that song starts off a soft power ballad before switching into the cheesy progressive rock cringe-fest. But the second half has some decent technical thrash that makes this song half-enjoyable. I think the song might work better if it was split into a 2-part suite; part 1 would be the progressive rock ballad and part 2 would be the technical thrash song. So if you want to enjoy "Collapse" enough to bring the album score back in 4/5, just cut out the first half. Easy!
December 10, 2019 11:11 AM

To be honest I struggle with all but the climax. The initial heavy bits are by far & away the simplest & weakest on the album. And God damn how bad is the part with clean & growly vocals doing a duet. Not to mention the cheesy jazz section. Utterly atrocious!

December 10, 2019 06:50 PM

Continuing the theme of the horrible cover songs thread that was begun elsewhere, much as I like Sepultura's Chaos A.D. (it's actually my favourite Sepultura album and one of the first I ever bought on CD), Max Cavalera's mangling of the vocals on their version of New Model Army's classic The Hunt from their excellent 1986 album, The Ghost of Cain, is just unforgivable. I also agree with Ben about the Megadeth covers - Anarchy in the UK particularly pisses me off and I Ain't Superstitious is so jarring it almost spoils Mustaine's best album.

December 10, 2019 08:43 PM

I totally agree with your call on the those Megadeth tracks. They out like sore thumbs & substantially interrupt the flow of the albums. And don't even get me started on "These Boots" from the debut either.

December 10, 2019 10:48 PM

Day 2 (The Daily Sh*t)

This is too much of a psychedelic metal ballad-like track that doesn't help the original controversial album production by Kelly Gray. The lyrics, melodies, and atmosphere are still good, but the style and production is what makes it a real flip-off.

January 23, 2020 07:27 AM

An absolute shocker taken from the 1987 debut album from these Texan thrashers.

January 23, 2020 11:43 PM

Vektor's first 1-minute interlude in a decade (and likely last because David DiSanto is the only member left and he's facing legal troubles involving domestic abuse), but sadly "Mountains Above the Sun" just doesn't fit so well with the rest of the album. The acoustic first minute is kinda bland, and the 15-second heavy ending sounds too bluesy. I think this interlude and the ballad/jazzy-prog first half of "Collapse" are what make Terminal Redux not reach the awesomeness of the other two Vektor albums.

January 24, 2020 09:14 AM

I actually don't mind "Mountains Above The Sun" although it's far from an album highlight. "Collapse" is the only dud on that record in my opinion.

January 31, 2020 12:04 PM

Just what does this track hope to accomplish on an already disappointing record.

February 26, 2020 02:30 AM

A real stinker from these Brazilian thrash metallers 1987 debut album.

March 01, 2020 11:59 AM

I find it very difficult to tolerate this Middle Eastern influenced intro track to be honest:

May 02, 2020 06:37 AM

A terrible acoustic joke track featuring Anthrax/S.O.D. guitarist Scott Ian.

May 03, 2020 07:37 AM

Need I say anything here?

May 03, 2020 08:47 AM

Need I say anything here?

Quoted Daniel

I'll say that I agree with you Daniel. "Blackened" is one of those heavier songs that just doesn't fit right when making an acoustic version. However, Between the Buried and Me's tech-death cover of "Blackened" is totally kick-A and guaranteed to grind this acoustic re-recording to dust.

July 03, 2020 11:19 AM

An absolute shocker of a vocal performance from this Teutonic thrash front man. Ben, you'll want to stay well away from this record because it's just the type of vocal style that you hate.

July 03, 2020 12:54 PM

I would think you are Andi. "Divine Step (Conspectu Mortis)" is not only one of the best couple of tracks on Coroner's best album but it's also one of the greatest pieces of progressive metal I've ever heard to be honest.

P.S. 90's Coroner > 80's Coroner are far as I'm concerned.

August 01, 2020 08:46 PM

Did the tape get chewed up or dropped in the toilet?

August 01, 2020 11:30 PM

Part of the problem I had with Machine Head's The Blackening is the lyrics in a few songs here, like in this f***ing slanderous stinker:

August 02, 2020 12:17 AM

I was always surprised that Machine Head was so popular, I really didn't care for The Blackening even though it was hyped up for me pretty hard. Catharsis, their 2018 album, was on another level of awful. If you wanna see how terrible Machine Head's style can really get if you think these lyrics are slanderous, test out that one to even out your rating curve. 

August 02, 2020 12:59 AM

Catharsis, their 2018 album, was on another level of awful. If you wanna see how terrible Machine Head's style can really get if you think these lyrics are slanderous, test out that one to even out your rating curve. 

Quoted Xephyr

Challenge accepted, Xephyr! Bring it on, Catharsis!!

August 03, 2020 11:40 AM

Thanks, Xephyr! You really allowed me to realize how low Machine Head can get, especially in their own awful Dropkick Murphys knockoff: