Revolver Magazine's "25 Essential Black Metal Albums" Article

June 14, 2024 07:59 PM

If you're going for most influencial then you have to include Black Metal. Which IS a first-wave black metal album, and it gave the sub-genre it's name. Quite a lot of the first and second wave artists site it as a primary influence. 

Remember the first wave was little bit more relaxed in it's parameters than the second wave. Mercyful Fate is also considered a first-wave black metal band, and they are farther away than Venom from what became the "pure" template.

Quoted ZeroSymbolic7188

Every time I listen to Venom I think "a couple feet away from true black metal."  Maybe I'm being a little purist about it, but when I think "black metal," I think Mayhem, Immortal and Darkthrone.

June 14, 2024 08:11 PM

I've never been onboard with the whole First Wave of Black Metal concept. I was listening to First Wave bands before the Norwegian scene exploded & there was never a time that I regarded Venom or Mercyful Fate as black metal, even back then. If those two bands are black metal then so are Motorhead & Judas Priest because, when you peel away the image & aesthetic, they're essentially playing the same style of music as those bands from an instrumental point of view which is all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

June 14, 2024 08:13 PM

If you're going for most influencial then you have to include Black Metal. Which IS a first-wave black metal album, and it gave the sub-genre it's name. Quite a lot of the first and second wave artists site it as a primary influence. 

Remember the first wave was little bit more relaxed in it's parameters than the second wave. Mercyful Fate is also considered a first-wave black metal band, and they are farther away than Venom from what became the "pure" template.

Quoted ZeroSymbolic7188

Every time I listen to Venom I think "a couple feet away from true black metal."  Maybe I'm being a little purist about it, but when I think "black metal," I think Mayhem, Immortal and Darkthrone.

Quoted Rexorcist

That's 2nd wave Black Metal.

June 14, 2024 08:38 PM

Im gonna go with Abbath, Nergal, Tom, and Grutle Kiellson on this, but ya'll do as you like.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
June 14, 2024 09:14 PM

Quoted ZeroSymbolic7188

The difference is that the list is most influential black metal releases, not releases that were influential on black metal. If it was the latter, then Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate and Venom would be top of the list.

I'm sure you can find references online to Venom being labelled black metal (you can find anything online), but if the album doesn't actually contain the major components of black metal, then I see no reason to label it that way.

Ben
Ben
June 14, 2024 09:21 PM

I agree that Thy Mighty Contract isn't Rotting Christ's best album, and I wouldn't personally call it classic, but clones started coming out in 1994 (check out Thou Art Lord's Eosforos album), so it was clearly highly influential. The sound was formed immediately, so I'm actually comfortable including it above other Rotting Christ albums. Anyone else have an opinion?

Quoted Ben

OK, so it's clear that your concept for the list is to target releases that are "influential" rather than "essential" which is fine. I would still argue that the Greek melodic black metal scene shouldn't necessarily command a position in a list of just 25 black metal releases in terms of influence though as I think there are a few more significant melodic black metal releases that will miss out as a result (e.g. "Arntor" & "Far Away From the Sun"). Is it just that they appeared a little later on?

Quoted Daniel

Arntor are very much in the discussion, and your comment has solidified my opinion that they probably should be. As for Far Away From the Sun, I have to disagree with that one. They basically took on Dissection's sound and were never as popular. Sure, some bands may have picked up the sound from Sacramentum, but I you'd have to agree that a lot more would have been inspired by Dissection.

June 14, 2024 09:40 PM

Quoted ZeroSymbolic7188

The difference is that the list is most influential black metal releases, not releases that were influential on black metal. If it was the latter, then Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate and Venom would be top of the list.

I'm sure you can find references online to Venom being labelled black metal (you can find anything online), but if the album doesn't actually contain the major components of black metal, then I see no reason to label it that way.

Quoted Ben

Not gonna argue with ya on your own site big dawg. Just showing where I'm coming from with my take. I sha'll say no more on the subject.

June 14, 2024 09:40 PM

Quoted ZeroSymbolic7188

Quoted Ben

I think the "first wave" of black metal bands are in a similar situation to the hard rock bands of the mid to late-70's who were labelled heavy metal at the time, but who have been left behind by a refining of the definition of what constitutes heavy metal. The same has happened with black metal as it's definition has been refined within a specific set of parameters. 

Ben
Ben
June 14, 2024 09:57 PM

I'm keeping my three selected releases for now. That may be one too many for a list of 25, but I guess we'll deal with that once I've gone through all the subgenres.

Let's go with another subgenre that has a very obvious influence...

SYMPHONIC BLACK METAL

Just as Dissection were an easy selection for melodic black metal, Emperor are just as clear cut for symphonic black metal. The Norwegian legends launched the sound on 1994's In the Nightside Eclipse. Other bands followed in the mid-90s, including Limbonic Art, Nokturnal Mortum and Obtained Enslavement, but I don't think any of these bands created a new sound and/or influenced others in any major way. I think the first band to have their own take on symphonic black metal that would most definitely influence stacks of other bands is Cradle of Filth. I would put forward Dusk and Her Embrace as the release, as I think that best represents the sound that had the most impact. We wouldn't have bands like Graveworm, Carach Angren and Agathodaimon if it weren't for Dani and his crew. The other band that needs a mention is Dimmu Borgir, although it could be said that their breakout symphonic black metal sound on Enthrone Darkness Triumphant was a direct result of Cradle of Filth's success. I personally feel that Dimmu Borgir themselves would most definitely influence loads of bands, so I'm going to include it as my third "maybe" choice.

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse (1994)

Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace (1996)

Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (1997)

Keen to hear what others think. Disagree with any of these choices? Do you feel Dimmu Borgir's sound was enough removed from Cradle of Filth to justify inclusion? Should any other bands be brought into the mix?

June 14, 2024 10:05 PM

I think three melodic black metal releases is about right but do we need more than one symphonic black metal release? "In The Nightside Eclipse" would cover it for me personally.

Ben
Ben
June 14, 2024 10:27 PM

It’s just a starting point. We might not end up including all of them. Just building a list that then gets dwindled down to 25.

June 14, 2024 11:03 PM

I read that Dimmu Borgir are the biggest selling black metal band of all time recently. It wouldn't seem right not to consider one of their releases when you take that into account.

June 14, 2024 11:04 PM

Quoted ZeroSymbolic7188

Quoted Rexorcist

That's 2nd wave Black Metal.

Quoted ZeroSymbolic7188

First wave doesn't even qualify, for the same reasons that Daniel just described.  1st wave is nothing more than a capitalization on the proto-roots to attempt to differentiate the sound from other bands who were doing the same thing with different subject matter.  This is effectively no different than calling many proto-metal albums of the 70's metal as is being studied here on MA.

June 14, 2024 11:07 PM

I read that Dimmu Borgir are the biggest selling black metal band of all time recently. It wouldn't seem right not to consider one of their releases when you take that into account.

Quoted Daniel

Really!?  I mean, they're certainly not bad at all, but I think about that sometimes and I never would've guessed it was them.

June 14, 2024 11:17 PM

Rex, I already found the exit door on this one bro.

June 14, 2024 11:17 PM

It’s not really surprising. Dimmu Borgir play at opera houses with pop singers & on TV talk shows. They might as well be a boy band. They also appeal to the female market, particularly the goths which opens them up to a whole world of opportunity. In fact, the three bands were looking at here are probably the top three for sales (CoF a close second) which tells you that the added accessibility of the symphonics is a strong selling point.

June 15, 2024 05:53 AM

Not one of my favourite styles, but Emperor are so far ahead of the rest it's ridiculous and "In the Nightside Eclipse" is indispensible as far as symphonic BM goes. I can't really say too much about Dimmu Borgir as I listened to a couple of their albums ages ago and concluded they were nothing to do with me. I guess Cradle did reach a certain level of popularity that would see their videos on music TV stations a fair bit, so would presumably spread their influence. I don't follow this sub-genre closely enough to offer up any alternative releases for consideration, so am happy to go along with Ben's shortlist.

June 15, 2024 07:44 AM

Late to the party (as usual - well the fact that I am even bothering nowadays to post is an improvement for me) but have a hectic weekend ahead so a brief dismantle of this largely baffling list.

Venom - Black Metal - Used the words "black" and "metal", somehow constantly referenced as an essential black metal release for use of these words and some poor quality aesthetics.  Nonsense.

Bathory - Bathory - arguably better examples littered throughout a (for me) patchy discography

Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids - been a while, but this is a thrash metal record with some atmospherics from memory

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky - first valid entry

Burzum - Burzum -  what?  I never hear this album talked about at all, let alone in dialogue about essential releases

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - second valid entry

Cradle of Filth - The Principle of Evil Made Flesh - never heard it

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse - third valid entry

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane - fourth valid entry

Dimmu Borgir - Stormblåst -  never heard it

Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn ... When We Are Gathered - at the risk of incurring the wrath of Sonny, I would argue Marduk have no "essential" releases

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal - fifth valid entry

Gorgoroth - Destroyer - never heard it

Satyricon - Rebel Extravaganza - never heard it

Weakling - Dead as Dreams - sixth valid entry

Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape - never heard it

Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness - good album, not an essential release, not with Pure Holocaust and At the Heart of WInter in the back-catalogue

Leviathan - Tentacles of Whorror - heard it but don't recall enough about it, certainly not essential in my mind given no immediate highlight leaps out at me

Xasthur - To Violate the Oblivious - really? I mean it is a solid 4 star record but not sure what makes it essential by any stretch

Deathspell Omega - Kénôse - again, good record, but essential?  Nah.

Enslaved - Isa - no, just no.  Below the Lights is their pinnacle for me and that came after Isa (i think)

Deafheaven - Sunbather - meh!

Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice - seventh valid entry - what a fucking record this is

Watain - Sworn to the Dark - never heard it

Behemoth - The Satanist - as good a record as this is, and with the death metal influence acknowledged I couild only see this record attracting a younger audience to the bm scene under a somewhat false pretence.

June 15, 2024 08:43 AM

Late to the party (as usual - well the fact that I am even bothering nowadays to post is an improvement for me) but have a hectic weekend ahead so a brief dismantle of this largely baffling list.

Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn ... When We Are Gathered - at the risk of incurring the wrath of Sonny, I would argue Marduk have no "essential" releases

Quoted UnhinderedbyTalent

That statement certainly wouldn't anger me, Vinny. Yeah, sure, I love Panzer Division Marduk, but I would never champion the Swedes as being groundbreaking or essential listening, in common with many other black metal releases I love. In fact, I don't even know how qualified I am to add too much here as I am the first to admit that I like what I like and I don't actively seek out particularly ground-breaking stuff.

June 15, 2024 02:37 PM

I mean, Sons of Northern Darkness is one of their best, but taking into account 1st and 2nd wave acts being on the list in general, any album released in 2002 is kinda late to the party.

June 15, 2024 06:56 PM

I would argue that "Sons of Northern Darkness" saw Immortal watering down the sound that made them so special to begin with to be honest. It's a pretty decent record in its own right but I don't buy into the concept of it (or "At The Heart of Winter" for that matter) being any sort of classic/essential release. I would have thought that a list like this one would call for a "Pure Holocaust" or "Battles In The North" well before either of those releases.

My position on Marduk is similar to that of Sonny's. I love my black metal to be dark, aggressive & brutal but I'm not sure that I'd call any of Marduk's releases essential even though there are a few that give some serious jollies.

And for the record Ben, after giving it some thought over the last day or so I'm tending to favour "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant" over "Dusk and Her Embrace".

June 15, 2024 07:50 PM

If we're talking Immortal then, even though personally I slightly prefer Battles in the North over Pure Holocaust, it feels like PH is the more essential and is generally regarded by most fans as the better album, so I would say go with that if any.

June 15, 2024 07:59 PM

I would argue that "Sons of Northern Darkness" saw Immortal watering down the sound that made them so special to begin with to be honest. It's a pretty decent record in its own right but I don't buy into the concept of it (or "At The Heart of Winter" for that matter) being any sort of classic/essential release. I would have thought that a list like this one would call for a "Pure Holocaust" or "Battles In The North" well before either of those releases.

My position on Marduk is similar to that of Sonny's. I love my black metal to be dark, aggressive & brutal but I'm not sure that I'd call any of Marduk's releases essential even though there are a few that give some serious jollies.

And for the record Ben, after giving it some thought over the last day or so I'm tending to favour "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant" over "Dusk and Her Embrace".

Quoted Daniel

Pure Holocuast was great, but it was more or less doing what Darkthrone already did.  By adding more melody and thrash to it, Immortal set themselves apart with At the Heart of Winter.

June 15, 2024 08:13 PM

I can’t agree that Immortal & Darkthrone were essentially doing the same thing. That’s simply not the case. I’m not gonna dispute that “At the Heart of Winter” has been Immortal’s most influential release though & would suggest that it will probably be the one to make this list. I will however suggest that it’s heavily overrated (why am I the only one that notices that Abbath can’t play guitar to save his life?) & should have been included in the meloblack section if anywhere at all.