January 2022 Feature Release – The North Edition

First Post December 31, 2021 08:23 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The North has been nominated by Xephyr. It's the 1996 self-titled debut album from Norwegian black/Viking metallers Borknagar. I haven't heard this record since back in the 1990's so it'll be interesting to see how my feelings sit after all these years. I know Ben is a big fan of this one.

https://metal.academy/releases/5330

January 06, 2022 09:37 PM

It's been a very long time since I've checked this album out. In fact, I don't think I would have heard it since the late 1990's. I remember finding it to be a mildly enjoyable listen at the time but feeling that it wasn't worthy of the praise it was receiving from many fans & critics. As a result, I didn't often feel the urge to return to it & that position has been maintained with a few key flaws preventing me from fully committing. The more brutal black metal sections are great but I'm not as into the more melodic parts of the fully fledged black metal songs which often have a bouncy half-time feel to the drumming which sounds pretty loose & primitive for such a highly regarded artist. The harsh black metal vocals are pretty good but I don't always love the chanty Viking stuff which simply isn't to my taste. I wouldn't say that this is a Viking Metal release though. It does take influence from the genre at times but I think the Black metal tag is enough to cover the majority of the album.

Borknagar may well have been a supergroup of sorts at the time but that doesn't reflect in the quality of the musicianship on display, particularly that of founding member & guitarist Øystein G. Brun & Gorgoroth drummer Grim, both of whom contribute some patchy performances. The keyboard work can often sound pretty cheap too. In saying that, I do generally enjoy all of the genuine black metal tracks included as they definitely offer some good Scandinavian atmosphere. It's some of the five interlude pieces that I find to be pretty ordinary, particularly the very weak two track run of "Ved steingard" & "Krigsstev" which falls well beneath the bar. Overall I think "Borknagar" is worth a listen for fans of the Second Wave of Black Metal but I wouldn't expect it to offer you a life-changing experience.

3.5/5

January 08, 2022 03:26 PM

Great choice this month Ben.

Seeing this album come up for feature this month immediately took me back to my wranglings with their sophomore release (and gateway record into the band) The Olden Domain and how I had to work hard to come to terms with Maelstrom’s vocals. Had I realised that on the debut they had a completely different – and much more appealing style of – vocalist then coming to that sophomore release after this would have been even more of a challenge.

Like the follow up, Borknagar’s debut album is a richly rewarding experience albeit the appeal with the debut is more immediate for me. A mix of melodic Viking and black metal that retains a rawness to it that does not intend to alienate as does the sound of other black metal bands of the time. This retention of authenticity in terms of the movement that started the whole second wave sound is key to my enjoyment of the album, just as is the more melodic leanings of the music also.

Having amassed the collection of famous names we all know by now, Brun’s determination to move beyond the brutality of his death metal roots was destined for success. Whilst not all the musicianship is perfect by any means it is a well-executed album still. Full of variety in terms of instrumental interludes that hold the attention and add a lush depth to proceedings without distracting from the more intense black metal sounding tracks that are spread over the album.

With me slowly developing issue with Viking metal over recent years (Bathory’s efforts being of challenge nowadays) I find the aggressive take here quite refreshing and much more cohesive; even in the cleaner vocal sections the tracks still retain real heart. This successful marriage of the epic with the baser credentials of black metal and the earthy acoustics of the instrumental passages needs acknowledging even if not all of it is top-drawer musicianship (Grimskalle Trell needed re-recording surely). The production job plays no small part in the victory of the album. I cannot recall many albums that blends these sounds as well allowing all elements to breath so easily without continuously sounding like they conflict with each other.

No question if I had heard this album first, I might never have been able to get my head round the future sound of Borknagar as they went off into more progressive leanings. As the album draws to a close each time I listen I find I just want to put it straight back on or dive off into the discographies of the various artists involved. As such Borknagar’s debut is a real gateway album to the wider scene.

4/5

January 09, 2022 08:49 PM

Consistency is key and I cannot think of a band that best portrays that more than Borknagar. Even as the band moved away from the black metal roots to incorporate more progressive tones, the quality remained intact. As for the debut, it isn't a full blown black metal assault from start to finish because it doesn't have to be. The crescendos are expertly included to make the heaviest portions stand out from the rest. And the acoustic interludes sound gorgeous as interludes in addition to pulling out some of the bands folk influences. The compression of the guitar is a baffling choice for something this dense and ethereal. But there is a lot to like here and shows a lot of influence with other folkened black metal bands like Moonsorrow and Agalloch.

7/10

January 19, 2022 05:20 PM

I had Borknagar's debut pegged as a solid 4.5. However, it must be a dozen years since I last listened to it and those years haven't been kind. OK, I accept it's more likely that it is my taste that has changed rather than any fundamental alteration in the metal climate - it's my fault, not yours, Borknagar. The reason for this change of heart is those folky interludes which just get in the way of some pretty intense black metal. I mean, I'm just really getting into some decent old-school, second wave blasting then this drippy folk shit pops it's fucking head up and completely spoils my private party - again and again. Well I'm not gonna stand for it I tell you - I'm dropping this fucker down to a 3.5!

Actually, I'm so peeved about it because when they hit that bm sweet spot, which they do on several occasions here, they really are fantastic, but the impetus is completely drained by those multifarious folk breaks, like a turd in a pool party. I guess I'm just no longer the same tolerant guy I used to be several years back. Life's too short for endless interludes on black metal albums and if I want folk music I'll buy a Bob Dylan album instead - or Wardruna - those guys are much better at it anyway.

3.5/5