June 2021 Feature Release – The Infinite Edition

First Post May 31, 2021 07:54 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Infinite was selected by Xephyr. It's last year's "Lucid Planet II" sophomore album from Aussie progressive metal outfit Lucid Planet.

https://metal.academy/releases/25331

June 05, 2021 11:03 PM

Xephyr, this was an absolute beauty of a feature release selection mate. I loved every minute of it & are baffled as to why I didn't know about this band earlier given that they're Aussies. Andi & saxy, you definitely need to get onto this one.

Here's my review link:

https://metal.academy/reviews/21388/25331

4.5/5

June 06, 2021 02:19 AM

Cheers for the rec, Daniel! Here's my review summary:

An underrated band from Australia, Lucid Planet play a style of heavy-psych-prog-metal with bits of electronic trance, to be enjoyed whether or not you love progressive metal, that brings Tool into the minds of their listeners. Before this album, Lucid Planet made a more psychedelic rock debut, and while I haven't listened to that debut, I'm never really a fan of just psychedelia, so I'm not gonna try that one. If the psychedelia is elementally part of a progressive metal sound though, I can't say no to that. The band made an astounding mind-blowing evolution, though a few things seem a bit lumpy. While it's not entirely perfect, I would suggest passing it on to many more listeners who would enjoy it. It's up to us where and what the journey would bring....

4/5

June 07, 2021 12:25 AM

Thanks Daniel, I'm looking forward to going back to this one with fresh ears. I have a feeling that it's going impress me even more than it did before, even though it still made #18 on my 2020 list. I have a few ideas of how to spin my review in a different way than yours but it's gonna be tough, it was a good read. I went back and forth when I chose this one as to what you'd think of it, but it looks like I chose correctly. Gonna have to post up a review by the end of the month. 

June 09, 2021 05:52 PM

The end of the month came early. I brought my A-game for this one:

Xephyr's Lucid Planet II Review

June 09, 2021 08:18 PM

A simply outstanding review Xephyr. Loved it! It really sums up my feelings on the album beautifully.

June 15, 2021 03:37 AM

Damn Xephyr, you really found a gem with this one!

As I mentioned in my review, I think that this album has all the pieces to be a transcendent album, but falters ever so slightly when it comes to memorable hooks. Instead, Lucid Planet uses repetitive motifs to give the album a sense of unity, which I respect, but these motifs are typically very short spurts, very similar to that of Darth Vader's theme from Star Wars. That being said, the production is magnificent, the interludes are some of the best I've heard on any album in recent memory, and while the phrase "non-metal" does not apply here, the scarcity of the metal elements allow for the electric guitars to hit with additional velocity and power. An album that promises a trip and delivers in spades. Pressure is on for me and my next Infinite featured album!

8/10

June 15, 2021 11:53 AM

Great review saxy. One of your best. I'm really glad you got into that one. I was wondering what you'd think of it when I was doing my review actually