March 2023 Feature Release - The Infinite Edition

First Post February 28, 2023 07:35 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Infinite has been nominated by myself in Xephyr's absence. It's the highly regarded 2009 "The Great Misdirect" sixth album from North Carolina progressive metallers Between The Buried & Me. I've been meaning to check this one out for some time now since really enjoying the band's 2008 "Colors_Live" live album so let's see if it offers me a similar level of appeal.

https://metal.academy/releases/1740

February 28, 2023 11:16 PM

I need to revisit BTBAM someday soon. I really do! The Great Misdirect is known as one of the greatest albums from the band besides Colors, and was a masterpiece for me when I was still listening to them. Look out for my second attempt at reviewing this album sometime this month!

March 02, 2023 01:44 AM

Here's my review summary:

Between the Buried and Me can chug through progressiveness faster than a train. Colors was once a true landmark for me. It continues the transition they had through their first 3 albums. With the new lineup of bassist Dan Briggs, rhythm guitarist Dustie Waring, and drummer Blake Richardson maintaining their places, the progressive hints from their earlier albums have evolved into a new essential part of the sound in Colors. The songs are longer and they all transition to each other like a multi-part suite. The earlier heaviness kept going, mixed with some fun wacky parts. The Great Misdirect continues that format in a more progressive direction than before. 4 of the 6 songs are mighty progressive epics, all mixing heavy and soft sections, with occasional turns into jazz, blues, and circus music. The other two are short soft ballads. However, the 18-minute finale epic "Swim to the Moon", which I used to really enjoy, I now find a bit draggy in the length, with the soloing bridge fitting better for a live jam. Still, it's an epic highlight, and nothing's too big of a deal. The transitions are almost never forced, and most of the songs are set up well overall. Tommy's vocals range from explosive growls in better quality to melodic cleans that no longer sound robotic. He appears less while still around a lot, allowing the other members to shine, including Blake whose drumming is so unique and heavy in the patterns. Between the Buried and Me continue the progressive journey they've had since The Silent Circus, and while The Great Misdirect isn't as perfect as I once thought it was, it's their finest hour of coherence!

4/5

March 06, 2023 07:13 AM

I found "The Great Misdirect" to be another very high quality progressive metal record from this mob. It must have been a huge task to put together as there's simply so much to it. The complexity & ambition in the composition is top notch while the arrangements regularly veer off in unexpected directions. I definitely like the heavier & the jazzier moments best & could probably do without some of the more experimental sections but there's not a weak track included in the six with only the alt-country song "Desert of Song" seeing the quality levels dipping a touch. The metalcore vocals are OK but it's the more progressive instrumental excursions that see the band drawing upon the Dream Theaters & Opeths for inspiration that are where Between The Buried & Me manage to differentiate themselves. I may still rate their "Colors_Live" live album slightly higher than "The Great Misdirect" but it's not by much as this is another excellent record that should tick most prog-heads boxes.

4/5