April 2021 "The Horde" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post March 31, 2021 10:04 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1qfZsURBI7IfACttcr8EDd?si=nG2ngXF7RvaVHp4HpUtF7w

Tracklisting:

01. Bolt Thrower – “What Dwells Within” (from “War Master”, 1991) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

02. Scar Symmetry – “Slaves To The Subliminal” (from “Pitch Black Progress”, 2006) [Submitted by Ben]

03. Cryptic Shift – “(Petrified in The) Hypogean Gaol” (from “Visitations From Enceladus”, 2020)

04. Dark Tranquillity – “Standstill” (from “Moment”, 2020)

05. Pan.Thy.Monium – “The Battle Of Geeheeb” (from “Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-Ion”, 1996) [Submitted by Ben]

06. Holocausto – “Regimento de Morte” (from “Campo de exterminio”, 1987) [Submitted by Daniel]

07. Septic Flesh – “Mystic Places Of Dawn” (from “Mystic Places Of Dawn”, 1994) [Submitted by Ben]

08. The Chasm – “Architects Of Melancholic Apocalypse” (from “Procession To The Infraworld”, 2000) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

09. Pyrrhon – “Another Day In Paradise” (from “Abscess Time”, 2020)

10. Morbid Angel – “Rebel Lands” (from “Blessed Are The Sick”, 1991) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

11. Gravesend – “Needle Park” (from “Methods Of Human Disposal”, 2021)

12. Deathgoat – “Rotten Salvation” (from “Regurgitated Into Existence”, 2021)

13. Altered Dead – “Return To Life” (from “Returned To Life”, 2021)

14. Immolation – “Rival The Eminent” (from “Unholy Cult”, 2002) [Submitted by Daniel]

15. Hemdale – “Demented Surgical Incest” (from “In The Name Of Gore” split album with Exhumed, 1996)

16. Malevolent Creation – “Slaughter Of Innocence” (from “Retribution”, 1992) [Submitted by Ben]

17. Heaven Shall Burn – “Counterweight” (from “Deaf To Our Prayers”, 2006) [Submitted by Daniel]

18. Eximperituserqethhzebibšiptugakkathšulweliarzaxułum – “Utpāda” (from “Šahrartu”, 2021)

19. Fractal Generator – “Macrocosmos” (from “Macrocosmos”, 2021)

20. Misery Index – “The Carrion Call” (from “Heirs To Thievery”, 2010) [Submitted by Daniel]

21. Agoraphobic Nosebleed – “Vexed” (from “Honky Reduction”, 1998)

22. Krisiun – “A Thousand Graves” (from “Scourge Of The Enthroned”, 2018) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

23. Dead Congregation – “Teeth Into Red” (from “Graves Of The Archangels”, 2008) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

24. Unseen Terror – “Burned Beyond Recognition” (from “The Peel Sessions” E.P., 1989) [Submitted by Daniel]

25. Knoll – “Earth’s Iron Lung” (from “Interstice”, 2021)

26. Aborted – “Meticulous Invagination” (from “Goremageddon: The Saw and the Carnage Done”, 2003) [Submitted by Ben]

27. Abominable Putridity – “Non Infinite Sequence” (from “Parasitic Metamorphosis Manifestation”, 2021)

April 01, 2021 08:27 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1qfZsURBI7IfACttcr8EDd?si=nG2ngXF7RvaVHp4HpUtF7w

Tracklisting:

01. Bolt Thrower – “What Dwells Within” (from “War Master”, 1991) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

02. Scar Symmetry – “Slaves To The Subliminal” (from “Pitch Black Progress”, 2006) [Submitted by Ben]

03. Cryptic Shift – “(Petrified in The) Hypogean Gaol” (from “Visitations From Enceladus”, 2020)

05. Pan.Thy.Monium – “The Battle Of Geeheeb” (from “Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-Ion”, 1996) [Submitted by Ben]

06. Holocausto – “Regimento de Morte” (from “Campo de exterminio”, 1987) [Submitted by Daniel]

07. Septic Flesh – “Mystic Places Of Dawn” (from “Mystic Places Of Dawn”, 1994) [Submitted by Ben]

08. The Chasm – “Architects Of Melancholic Apocalypse” (from “Procession To The Infraworld”, 2000) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

10. Morbid Angel – “Rebel Lands” (from “Blessed Are The Sick”, 1991) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

14. Immolation – “Rival The Eminent” (from “Unholy Cult”, 2002) [Submitted by Daniel]

15. Hemdale – “Demented Surgical Incest” (from “In The Name Of Gore” split album with Exhumed, 1996)

16. Malevolent Creation – “Slaughter Of Innocence” (from “Retribution”, 1992) [Submitted by Ben]

17. Heaven Shall Burn – “Counterweight” (from “Deaf To Our Prayers”, 2006) [Submitted by Daniel]

18. Eximperituserqethhzebibšiptugakkathšulweliarzaxułum – “Utpāda” (from “Šahrartu”, 2021)

20. Misery Index – “The Carrion Call” (from “Heirs To Thievery”, 2010) [Submitted by Daniel]

22. Krisiun – “A Thousand Graves” (from “Scourge Of The Enthroned”, 2018) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

23. Dead Congregation – “Teeth Into Red” (from “Graves Of The Archangels”, 2008) [Submitted by MacabreEternal]

24. Unseen Terror – “Burned Beyond Recognition” (from “The Peel Sessions” E.P., 1989) [Submitted by Daniel]

26. Aborted – “Meticulous Invagination” (from “Goremageddon: The Saw and the Carnage Done”, 2003) [Submitted by Ben]

27. Abominable Putridity – “Non Infinite Sequence” (from “Parasitic Metamorphosis Manifestation”, 2021)

Quoted Daniel

Looks like that Holocausto track is no longer available

April 01, 2021 08:41 AM

Tracklisting:

Quoted Daniel

Looks like that Holocausto track is no longer available

Quoted Vinny

It is for me, but the Immolation track is gone as well.

I actually like some of the tracks before the Holocausto one, so look out for my comments to those songs coming soon...

April 01, 2021 09:01 AM

Strange, the Immolation track is there for me.  I thought it might be because I am not a paid subscriber to Spotify but seems not to be the issue.

April 01, 2021 09:03 AM
I'm not a paid subscriber either, so I'm guessing the odd song out is selective for each free member.
April 01, 2021 09:16 AM

My thoughts on some tracks:

Bolt Thrower – “What Dwells Within” (from “War Master”, 1991)

4.5/5. A brutal start to this playlist! This is probably my favorite song in early 90s standard death metal, but that doesn't mean I'm interesting in that scene. Though the drums are off-time, a d*mn strong solo sears through at the 3-minute mark, then a minute later comes a brutal ending.

Scar Symmetry – “Slaves To The Subliminal” (from “Pitch Black Progress”, 2006)

5/5. This one is a phenomenal melodeath song with a dream chorus similar to power metal with Trivium-like clean and harsh vocals. Still amazing me ever since first listening to them 5 years ago in my earlier epic metal taste!

Cryptic Shift – “(Petrified in The) Hypogean Gaol” (from “Visitations From Enceladus”, 2020)

4/5. Excellent but too brutal. Enough said!

Dark Tranquillity – “Standstill” (from “Moment”, 2020)

3.5/5. UGH... No offense but the song choice from Dark Tranquillity's newest album Moment could've been far better. The name "Standstill" fits well for the song itself, sounding a bit too ballad-like compared to other songs. At least its melody helps balances out the brutality, so I'll give it a higher points for that.

Septic Flesh – “Mystic Places Of Dawn” (from “Mystic Places Of Dawn”, 1994)

4.5/5. This epic death metal band's tenure begins with this track, and it has some great challenging power to show what a fantastic song this is! Heroic verses and moving chorus are backed up by bleak leads. This is definitely more Paradise Lost inspired and it proves how great Septicflesh is at both music taste and melody. But there's some straight death metal to come later on.

A couple extra notes:

The songs I've commented above are pretty great, thanks guys! I still think these playlists should start with a quick brutal introduction then a few melodic songs, so it would be a good starting point for anyone new to death metal or metal in general to begin with the more melodic stuff before digging deeper into death metal's gory brutality. However, switching back and forth between brutality and melody might catch them off-guard. If it was up to me, the Cryptic Shift song probably should've been track #2 before the Scar Symmetry one, then after that, the Septic Flesh song should've been track #4 before the Dark Tranquillity one. Despite its original odd position, this playlist would be a great journey for Horde members from melodic to brutal and I approve of that track listing. They'll like it!

The other thing is, I'm actually considering moving completely away from death metal and most of The Horde for good. There are a few good reasons for that, and I'll tell it all to you in an official announcement when I feel ready to confirm in, say, less than 3 weeks from now. In the meantime, enjoy what may be some of my last thoughts of these songs from The Horde before I possibly make my official move...

April 01, 2021 11:13 AM

A sterling exploration of The Horde and all the horrors that lie within.  I enjoyed most tracks and have very little that didn't quite gel with me.  Pan.Thy.Monium are a toughie for me to get my head around as when they are not being all avant-garde I actually like that track of theirs but it jumps around far too much in the end I still can't adapt to the constant fluctuations in pace and tempo.

Standout moments include the 51 character Belarusian band and that excellent track on here that has got me interested in hearing more, as well as that banger from Malevolent Creation from Ben.  I even managed to get on with the melodic death metal stuff (yes, even Dark Tranquillity) so all round a solid playlist.

April 01, 2021 12:01 PM

Interestingly, I have no issue accessing the two tracks that people are struggling with. I assume it's due to the censorship regulations of some countries in the the case of Holocausto who have been linked to Nazi themes, mainly due to their album cover & sheer naivety. The Immolation could be due to the anti-Christian themes I suppose.

April 01, 2021 12:09 PM
I think my country's Spotify is against songs that heavily attack other religions, which is fine for me because I'm not, in any way, into those kinds of themes that are common in death metal and black metal.
April 03, 2021 01:24 AM

My thoughts on a couple more tracks:

Pan.Thy.Monium – “The Battle Of Geeheeb” (from “Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-Ion”, 1996)

5/5. A weird yet relaxing yet extreme great work of art!

Holocausto – “Regimento de Morte” (from “Campo de exterminio”, 1987)

3/5. I had to search through YouTube for THIS!? Good for old-school death metal fans though. Vinny, you're welcome!

April 03, 2021 03:01 AM

I still think these playlists should start with a quick brutal introduction then a few melodic songs, so it would be a good starting point for anyone new to death metal or metal in general to begin with the more melodic stuff before digging deeper into death metal's gory brutality. However, switching back and forth between brutality and melody might catch them off-guard. If it was up to me, the Cryptic Shift song probably should've been track #2 before the Scar Symmetry one, then after that, the Septic Flesh song should've been track #4 before the Dark Tranquillity one. Despite its original odd position, this playlist would be a great journey for Horde members from melodic to brutal and I approve of that track listing. They'll like it!

Quoted shadowdoom9

Well to be fair mate, it's my experience that a good half of the death metal fanbase finds melodeath to be fairly easy-listening &, no offence intended to fans of melodeath, but if you lump all of those tracks together at the start like I did a couple of times early on then you risk boring people before they've ever gotten into the meat of the playlist. I actually had a couple of people tell me that I should mix the playlists up more after originally starting all melodic & I have to admit that I agree with them as I find the playlists more enjoyable since making the change. It's also worth noting that these playlists are made for death metal & grindcore fans, not for converting people who might be scared off by the brutality of over 80% of the subgenres The Horde entails.

In general these days I try to start our playlists with three reasonably intense tracks that cover the most popular subgenres of the associated clan (for The Horde that's your conventional, melodic & technical varieties of death metal) so that the listener gets a good understanding of what they can expect & we grab their attention right from the start while also giving a hint at the variety that might be in store for them. Then I drop things down a bit & go with a more structured approach after that. It seems to work for the most part but please bare in mind that I can't possibly listen to 18 hours of playlists every month so you shouldn't expect perfection & obviously won't agree with every choice I make.