Metal Academy Radio - "The Horde" Playlist August 2020

First Post August 19, 2020 09:35 PM

So we're going to be testing the waters with another new offering this week which is one that I'll be looking for your feedback on. The idea is to release regular two hour Spotify playlists for each clan with the tracklistings taking the listener through the full gamut of sounds each clan encompasses, both old & new, classic & underground. In putting together the initial lists I've attempted to push my personal tastes to one side by including something for everyone with all eras & subgenres receiving representation. I certainly haven't gone with your more obvious releases all the time & you will find the odd novelty track included just for a bit of fun. These will certainly give people that are finding it hard to choose their clans a good point of reference to see if a particular clan is for them too. Check 'em out & tell us what you think. If everyone enjoys these then we may look to make them a more permanent part of the site.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2heJkIl5G390bUFRROcj1u?si=NtnrP8SmRByNU4QYOu_BRg

Tracklisting:

01. Be’lakor – “Abeyance” (from “Of Breath & Bone”, 2012)

02. Sylosis – “Mercy” (from “Dormant Heart”, 2015)

03. Darkane – “Execution 44” (from “Demonic Art”, 2008)

04. Dark Lunacy – “From Don To The Sea” (from “The Day Of Victory”, 2014)

05. Bubblegum Octopus – “Disco Party” (from “The Album Formerly Known As 8-Legged Dance Moves”, 2009)

06. Convulse – “The Rite Of Sunshine” (from “Reflections”, 1994)

07. Entombed – “Damn Deal Done” (from “DCLXVI: To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak The Truth”, 1997)

08. Six Feet Under – “Prowler” (from “Graveyard Classic IV: The Number Of The Priest”, 2016)

09. Death – “Symbolic” (from “Symbolic”, 1995)

10. Brujeria – “Brujerizmo” (from “Brujerizmo”, 2000)

11. Gutalax – “Robocock” (from “Shit Beast”, 2011)

12. Agoraphobic Nosebleed – “Mosquito Holding Human Cattle Prod” (from “Altered States Of America”, 2003)

13 Vader – “Decapitated Saints” (from “Reborn In Chaos”, 1997)

14. Impetigo – “Dis-organ-ized” (from “Ultimo Mondon Cannibale”, 1990)

15. Blood – “Bought Beauty” (from “Christbait”, 1992)

16. Psycroptic – “The Isle Of Disenchantment” (from “The Isle Of Disenchantment”, 2001)

17. Nile – “Ramses Bringer Of War” (from “Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka”, 1998)

18. Artery Eruption – “Utilize All Holes” (from “Driving My Fist Through Her Chest”, 2009)

19. General Surgery – “Slithering Macerations Of Ulcerous Facial Tissue” (from “Necrology” EP, 1991)

20. Phyllomedusa – “That Warm Mist Coherence” (from “Puddle Dependency”, 2014)

21. Svffer – “Staub” (from “Lies We Live”, 2014)

22. James Plotkin’s Phantomsmasher – “Halibut Jones” (from “Phantomsmasher”, 2002)

23. Metrorrhagia – “Writhing In His Fluids” (from “Metrorrhagia”, 2020)

24. Caustic Wound – “Cataclysmic Gigaton” (from “Death Posture”, 2020)

25. Infernal Coil – “Down-Going In Shadow” (from “Burning Prayer Of Infinite Hatred” EP, 2016)

26. Pig Destroyer – “Thumbsucker” (from “Terrifyer”, 2004)

27. Of No Value – “Feed The Need” (from “Fuck The Herd”, 2020)

28. Rotten Sound – “Obey” (from “Murderworks”, 2002)

29. Adramalech – “Halls Of Human Tragedy” (From “Terror Of Thousand Faces”, 2005)

30. Cryptopsy – “Two-Pound Torch” (from “Cryptopsy”, 2012)

31. Dying Fetus – “Kill Your Mother/Rape Your Dog” (from “Killing On Adrenaline”, 1998)

32. Regurgitate – “Bleed On Me” (from “Sickening Bliss”, 2006)

33. Devourment – “Butcher The Weak” (from “Butcher The Weak”, 2005)

34. Abnormality – “Monarch Omega” (from “Contaminating The Hive Mind”, 2012)

35. Pathology – “Tyrannical Decay” (from “The Time Of Great Purification”, 2012)

36. Disgorge – “Consume The Forsaken” (from “Consume The Forsaken”, 2002)

37. Vermin Womb – “Entomb” (from “Decline”, 2016)

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 19, 2020 10:09 PM

Bloody Phyllomedusa! Aaaagghhhh!!!!!! :rage:

Ben
Ben
August 19, 2020 10:31 PM

I'm listening to it now. I know that the DJ in you wants to clump together the similar-sounding tracks, but man the start of this playlist is challenging! Kicking things off with a few very ordinary death 'n' roll tracks (particularly that atrocious Six Feet Under cover) and then following that up with Bubblegum Octopus and Phantomsmasher is TOO MUCH FOR MY FRAGILE MIND!!!!!! :scream: :scream: :scream: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

NOTE: It's possible that I'm just soft.

Ben
Ben
August 20, 2020 01:24 AM

I think this playlist highlights just how varied the styles found in The Horde actually are, which is a good thing. I consider myself to be a very obvious candidate for the clan, given my lifelong love of death metal. I've even got a soft spot for melodic death metal, which I know others don't. Yet I don't get much enjoyment from 50% of these tracks. Not because they're not quality, although that's debatable for a lot of it, but more because they're playing in a style that I just don't like. Anyone that says that "all death metal and grindcore sounds the same" couldn't be further from the truth! It's certainly been interesting Daniel.

Does anyone think the snare sound in the Metrorrhagia track is actually enjoyable? I hear so many bands that use this trashcan lid snare that it has to be intentional, but it holds zero power for me. It's almost unlistenable!

August 20, 2020 08:19 AM
I hadn't actually had a chance to listen to the playlist in its running order until just now but I agree with you that it needs a punchier beginning & also the cybergrind material plit up. I've adjusted it to start with the melodeath material before the death 'n' roll stuff & have split the cybergrind stuff up across the tracklisting. It seems much better now. I've adjusted the tracklisting at the top of the page to reflect the changes.