July 2020 Feature Release - The Horde Edition

First Post June 30, 2020 07:26 PM

It's now July which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. Ben & I look forward to hearing your thoughts & opinions.  

This month's feature release for The Horde sees us travelling to Poland where we check out 1995's "A Chapter Of Accidents" album from seminal goregrind outfit Dead Infection. Goregrind is a bit of a niche subgenre but I'd be surprised if many of our death metal obsessed members don't find a fair bit to enjoy in it's light-hearted brutality. This particular example is one of the strongest you'll find.

https://metal.academy/releases/13069

July 19, 2020 06:40 PM

This is quite a straight-forward & particularly brutal release however if you don't like the goregrind subgenre then you ain't gonna dig this record because it revels in its adherence to the laws that define the goregrind sound. Sure, it emphatically ticks all of the boxes that need ticking when you're in the mood for this style of extreme music but its weaknesses can be found in its lack of variety & the unintelligibly pitch-shifted vocal delivery which see its 38 minute duration becoming a little lengthy by the end. A more than decent example of its type however a little culling would have resulted in a smarter, snappier product.

3.5/5

Here's my full review:

https://metal.academy/reviews/16457/13069

July 29, 2020 04:30 PM

I'm sure Daniel loves seeing my name pop up in these Horde Feature Releases by now, and this classic Goregrind album will be no exception. I will say though that guys do have a killer tone and killer riffs, at least occasionally when I can pick out any differences between the songs. The drumming was impressive as well, with it being surprisingly clear without losing any of the aggression. Personally I end up thinking of the less than 2 minute grind song structures as "riff exhibits", and there are definitely some good ones in here. It didn't even really feel like 38 minutes had passed when I was done, which is a testament to...something, considering that's pretty long for something like a Goregrind release. The aspects that make up the Goregrind genre still strike me with a feeling of complete indifference though, with extremely heavy and vulgar Metal like this only causing me to think "that's cool I guess". 

2/5