May 2020 Feature Release - The Horde Edition

First Post April 30, 2020 09:11 PM

It's now May which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. Ben & I look forward to hearing your thoughts & opinions.  

This month's feature release for The Horde is 2006's Debut album from New York cybergrind experts Genghis Tron entitled "Dead Mountain Mouth". I recently reviewed this album as a way of introducing myself to the cybergrind subgenre & I was very impressed indeed. I think that a lot of you open-minded extreme metal fans might really dig Genghis Tron's unique combination of grindcore, mathcore, IDM & electronica. See what you think.

https://metal.academy/releases/3197

May 25, 2020 03:54 AM

I originally had this album at a 3, being very surprised at how much I enjoyed its unique blend of super heavy extreme metal with legitimately beautiful atmospheric sections with a flourish of electronic Breakcore thrown in for good measure. As I went back to the album to write my review, I felt the need to bump it up to a 3.5 just because I realized how seriously unique this album is. 

Don't get me wrong, it has a ton of stuff I still dislike just because extreme metal is a difficult pill for me to swallow just due to certain elements that make it extreme, but I was very, very interested by this album nonetheless. Pound for pound, this 30 minute album doesn't even have that much Grindcore in it. Maybe 15 minutes maximum. The rest is a cool blend of atmospheric, electronic breakcore, and actually good riffs and grooves that are intelligible and not just playing some riff so fast that it blends in with the electronic drum sounds in the background. 

I think this album is a fantastic example of moderation. This "Cybergrind" album could have easily been what the genre is alluding to, which is just Grind with crazy electronic melodies thrown in there for who knows what reason. But Genghis Tron really tried to experiment and made a legitimate album that is more than just anger, aggression, and yelling. Even though I'm only giving it a 3.5, a 3.5 is incredibly high praise from me regarding anything with "Grind" in the description. My full review is on the album page.