DIS vs DAT Thread - The Horde Edition

First Post April 02, 2020 10:05 AM

Inspired by the new DIS vs DAT thing on Metal Academy, in turn inspired by that weekly feature on Utopia Records' Facebook page, I decided to turn this conversation-starting activity into a full thread instead of separate threads. Got a couple albums with the same genre and release year that you can't decide which has the greater edge? Share them here!

Let's start off with two of the greatest melodeath classics released in 1995. Which one has the greater edge? Choose one and explain the reason!

April 03, 2020 10:52 AM

Both are classy records. In fact, I bought them both on pre-order in 1995 which isn't something I can say for a lot of melodeath releases. But "Slaughter Of The Soul" is my all-time favourite melodeath record so it gets the goods here.

April 03, 2020 12:34 PM

I definitely agree with you here, Daniel. However, I discovered each band in different times. When I was first starting to like melodeath about 4 years before today, one of the first actual melodeath bands I listened to was Dark Tranquillity, and I was a big fan of that band including The Gallery. That album was one of my favourite melodeath bands back then. Two years later, I discovered At the Gates and their album Slaughter of the Soul, and I’ve never looked back. I was like “Move over Dark Tranquillity, At the Gates is the real deal!” Slaughter of the Soul has a greater balance of melodic and extreme, and it’s been of my favourite melodeath albums ever since. I’ll add in my vote along with yours, Daniel:

Slaughter of the Soul - 2

The Gallery - 0

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
April 03, 2020 07:36 PM

If you’d asked me back in the 90s, I might have said Dark Tranquillity, but there’s something about The Gallery that hasn’t aged as well as At the Gates’ classic. I might even prefer other Dark Tranquillity albums these days, like Character. The power of Slaughter of the Soul still hits hard though, so that’s my choice.

Slaughter of the Soul - 3

The Gallery - 0

April 03, 2020 11:58 PM

Well that was too easy. At that rate, Slaughter of the Soul would remain on top, so I declare Slaughter of the Soul the winner of part 1, three to none!