The Grindcore Thread

October 15, 2023 03:05 AM

Naked City - "Torture Garden" (1990)

I find this John Zorn project's sophomore album to be genuinely unpleasant. I've only ever enjoyed one Naked City album which is the very solid 1992 drone metal piece "凌遲 (Leng tch'e)" but the rest 0f their back catalogue does absolutely nothing for me . I'd suggest that 1992's "Heretic: Jeux des Dames Cruelles" soundtrack is probably their least appealing release overall but "Torture Garden" would come in a clear second. I've never been able to get my head around the use of general silliness to create art & this is as prime an example as you'll find. You can expect 42 songs & 25 minutes of insignificant & insubstantial noise that utilizes avant-garde jazz as much as it does grindcore.

2.5/5

May 01, 2024 11:31 PM

Full of Hell - Coagulated Bliss (2024

Genres: Grindcore, Metal

You read the genre-tagging right.  I'm calling this "metal" on top of calling it a grindcore album because for a good portion of the album, it is so diversified and out-there that it's a difficult one to really peg down.  I'm getting switches between some thought-provoking noise rock, drawn out and brutal doom metal with noisy metalcore backdrops, black and death working in tandem and even a little sludgy stuff here and there.  This is Full of Hell going batshit insane, but with catchiness and accessibility covering it all so it never goes too far like Naked City's Torture Garden.  Full of Hell have always been one of the most artistic bands of the modern age.  They helped to justify the existence of the otherwise passable Merzbow with their collabs, Sister Fawn and the self-titled collab, the former of which was my number 1 FoH and the latter of which was my number 3.  The album goes for more straightforward grindcore on a more consistent level after the seven-minute doomy epic Bleeding Horizon ends side A, but the first half is organized chaos, justifying its directionless genre-bending with the bandmates's personas dominating the album's brutal presence.

Of course, it's safe to say that half the tracks are grindcore, warranting the tag, but with that seven minute epic steering closer to that joke of a genre tag RYM calls "downtempo deathcore" than anything, it's safe to say that this album covers the multitude of bases within the realms of extreme metal and metal punk hybrids, with thrash and crossover thrash being absent, and leaving room for some Orchid-style powerviolence.  It's highly accessible despite its plethora of metallic flavors, so I think the best tag for this album would either be "metal" or "extreme metal" as opposed to choosing any one specific genre.  I think to do otherwise might be a little insulting to this testament to FoH's metal cabapilities.  Although next time, I'd like to see them do this and incorporate some of the industrial sounds of Sister Fawn. Otherwise, this album is basically FoH's "When the Kite String Pops."

100/100