January 2024 - Feature Release - The Horde Edition

First Post December 31, 2023 08:29 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The Horde has been nominated by myself & it's one that I'm very well across given that I wrote the fucker. "At Damnation's Core" is a compilation of the two mid-90's demo tapes my Sydney-based death metal band Neuropath recorded back in the day. It's been beautifully mastered by Grave Upheaval/Temple Nightside/Grotesque Bliss main man Bjorn to give it some new life & I'm very proud of the result. I'd like everyone to feel free to voice their honest opinions on this one. I won't take offence if you don't like it as I enjoy reading different perspective on my art.

https://metal.academy/releases/47836

January 01, 2024 07:45 AM

You have done some great talented brutal work in this album, Daniel. Seriously! Well done! Here's my full review that you can also view here: https://metal.academy/reviews/32364/47836

As someone who prefers melodic/technical death metal and other metal genres, I don't really consider brutal death metal my thing in most cases. MOST. With that said, I like this album. This is killer brutal death metal right here! Neuropath recorded two demos in 1995 before disappearing into oblivion, though those who have been in this website for a long while would know Daniel's journey in the decades since the band's demise.

Although there were a few recent shout-outs to the band and their music here, it wasn't until this album compiling the two demos was released by Sphere of Apparition Records in late 2023 that their material would finally hit the stores. And how can a more extreme metalhead not like this pure brutal strength!? All of the band's members are talented, though the two who really deserve the spotlight in my honest opinion are Daniel with his massive guitar skills and Mark Wangmann with his vicious death growls. The new mastering by Bjorn is certainly a true enhancement to the production.

This whole compilation works well as a powerful extreme journey, so describing its songs won't do them justice, though I can mention the songs I enjoy the most in the usual favorites section below. I would love it slightly more if I loved brutal death metal more. Still this is a great well-done example of the genre, and I'm not just saying it to be nice. Mandatory for Horde members and death metal fans in general! Great support comes with true rewards....

Favorites: "My Bleeding Mortality", "Copulation of Insanity", "Vulgar Rebirth", "Rectal Pulpation"

4/5

January 02, 2024 06:59 PM

First off, congratulations Daniel on finally being able to share your baby with us after all this time. It was a delight to hear some of the demo recordings from your band and provided some really great insight towards the type of music you not only enjoy, but make.

Unfortunately for us, that style of music has never really been a go to for me so I did find At Damnation's Core to have its fair share of structural issues. But, as I outlined in my review, those structures are part of the appeal of brutal death metal (especially during the early 1990s) that I just had to come to terms with. When I did, I realized that this record actually had some solid moments with its songwriting and motivic development. 

Overall, this was a nice change of pace from the melodic side of metal music that I frequent and a fine example of some early brutal death metal. It might sound a tad bit derivative of other bands at the time, but At Damnation's Core also had its own personality, which is rare from what I've found.

3/5

January 03, 2024 03:36 PM

I cannot lay any claim to being a source of much knowledge when it comes to death metal, having come to it quite late on. I turned away from metal during the nineties and was listening to hardly any, let alone the burgeoning death metal scene, at the time of the release of Neuropath's two demos in '95 and '96 that make up the contents of this compilation. Luckily for us all, we have the inside track on this release from the horse's mouth, so to speak, in the shape of Academy co-creator Daniel, lead guitarist and songwriter with the Sydney brutal DM pathfinders. From the CD liner notes and the interview with Hessian Firm, it is apparent that Daniel and vocalist Mark see the evolution between the earlier demo, Nefarious Vivisection, and the later, Desert of Excruciation, as a quantum leap in both technical and songwriting abilities. I certainly would not disagree with this assessment as the technical skills on show are obviously much improved and the songwriting has matured with an increased emphasis on technicality and complexity that is testament to the hard work and dedication that the guys put into the band during what amounts to just a few months between the recording of the two demos.

Now I don't know if Daniel and the rest of the band may consider this blasphemous, but I must sheepishly admit that I like the tracks from Nefarious Vivisection a bit more than the Desert of Excruciation material. I guess it has become apparent that I am a bit of a caveman when it comes to my taste in metal, the more technical, avant-garde, experimental stuff often leaves me cold and I would much rather have something relentlessly brutal and bludgeoning than any number of time-changes and finger-knotting guitar leads and to this end Nefarious Vivisection fills my criteria perfectly. The filthy-sounding riffs stick in my head better than the more complex stuff of the DoE tracks, Masticated Cadaver and the closer here, Rectal Palpitation, being the favourites that stick with me most. Then the clincher is the absolutely fucking brutal vocals supplied by Mark that are some of the best death metal vocals I have ever heard, rivalling Reifert, Vincent, Chuck and even Demilich's Antti Boman.

I really love digging through early metal demos and, sure, there are a lot of poorly-recorded shit out there, but sometimes you find a genuine pearl or two and I would suggest that is exactly what we have here, a rugged, uncut death metal diamond. I now have a CD copy with pride of place in my collection, nestling next to Diabolical Conquest and Altars of Madness where it belongs!

4.5/5