January 2024 "The Horde" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post December 31, 2023 12:03 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0R0a3qxSe1XkOMxBN6gkwi?si=4b95825631064fea

Tracklisting:

01. Tiamat – “Sumerian Cry (Part III)” (from “The Astral Sleep”, 1991) [Submitted by Sonny]

02. Death – “Bite The Pain” (from “The Sound Of Perseverance”, 1998) [Submitted by Sonny]

03. Edge of Sanity – “Blood-Colored” (from “Purgatory Afterglow”, 1994) [Submitted by Sonny]

04. Darkthrone – “Thulcandra” (from “Thulcandra” demo, 1989) [Submitted by Daniel]

05. Anata – “Under Azure Skies” (from “The Infernal Depths of Hatred”, 1998)

06. Amon Amarth – “Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds” (from “Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds” E.P., 1996)

07. Sacrilege – “Fettered In Shackles Of Light” (from “Lost in the Beauty You Slay”, 1996)

08. Nihilist – “Abnormally Deceased” (from “Only Shreds Remain” demo, 1988) [Submitted by Daniel]

09. Cripple Bastards – “Odio a prima vista” (from “Desperately Insensitive”, 2003)

10. Epiphanic Truth – “The Truth of the Beast” (from “Dark Triad: Bitter Psalms to a Sordid Species”, 2021) [Submitted by Daniel]

11. Bloodbath – “Mock The Cross” (from “The Fathomless Mastery”, 2008) [Submitted by UnhinderedbyTalent]

12. Vastum – “Vomitous” (from “Inward to Gethsemane”, 2023) [Submitted by UnhinderedbyTalent]

13. Obituary – “Godless Beings” (from “Slowly We Rot”, 1989) [Submitted by Daniel]

14. Cannibal Corpse – “Buried In The Backyard” (from “Eaten Back To Life”, 1990) [Submitted by Daniel]

15. Napalm Death – “Out of Sight Out of Mind” (from “Order of the Leech”, 2002) [Submitted by Sonny]

16. Pyrrhon – “Cancer Mantra” (from “Growth Without End”, 2015)

17. Bæst – “Crosswhore” (from “Danse Macabre”, 2018) [Submitted by UnhinderedbyTalent]

18. Setentia – “Throne of Thorns” (from “Darkness Transcend”, 2016)

19. Cattle Decapitation – “Unintelligent Design” (from “Karma.Bloody.Karma”, 2006)

20. Neuropath – “My Bleeding Mortality” (from “Desert of Excruciation” demo, 1995) [Submitted by Daniel]

21. 10 To The Chest – “Glassed In The Face” (from “Split The Fuck Open” E.P., 2023) [Submitted by UnhinderedbyTalent]

22. Behemoth – “Xul” (from “Demigod”, 2004) [Submitted by Sonny]

23. Iniquitous Deeds – “Incessant Hallucinations” (from “Incessant Hallucinations”, 2015)

24. Monument of Misanthropy – “Exceptionally Sadistic” (from “Unterweger”, 2021) [Submitted by UnhinderedbyTalent]

25. Regurgitate – “Waging War on Benevolence” (from “Deviant”, 2003)

26. Fuck The Facts – “Second Hand Skin” (from “Backstabber Etiquette”, 2003)

27. Circle of Dead Children – “Zero Comfort Margin” (from “Zero Comfort Margin” E.P., 2005)

28. Vulvodynia – “Unveiling The Abomination” (from “Cognizant Castigation”, 2014)

29. Skinless – “Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated” (from “Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead”, 2006) [Submitted by UnhinderedbyTalent]

30. Epicardiectomy – “Horrendous Festering Transmutations” (from “Putreseminal Morphodysplastic Virulency”, 2014)

31. Analepsy – “Food For The Maggots” (from “Dehumanization by Supremacy” E.P., 2015) [Submitted by UnhinderedbyTalent]

January 01, 2024 09:05 AM

Seeing some bands I'm familiar with in this playlist, mostly in the opening melodic/technical death metal section, I felt up to listening to and commenting on those tracks:

Tiamat – “Sumerian Cry (Part III)” (from “The Astral Sleep”, 1991)

4.5/5. It really is about time I revisit some bands from when I was still listening to a lot of melodic/technical death metal 5 years before this comment. The Astral Sleep was the transitional album between the death metal of Sumerian Cry and the death-doom Clouds, this track leaning to the former. I love the slower solo midway through.

Death – “Bite The Pain” (from “The Sound Of Perseverance”, 1998)

4/5. Perhaps the heaviest song of this opening section. The verse riff chugs through alongside catchy yet disjointed vocals, along with the most sections I've heard in a single chorus (4).

Edge of Sanity – “Blood-Colored” (from “Purgatory Afterglow”, 1994)

4.5/5. The verses are quite awesome in this song of amazing writing, almost worthy of radio airplay. 2 minutes in is a bridge that sounds like Motorhead gone death metal.

Darkthrone – “Thulcandra” (from “Thulcandra” demo, 1989) 

4/5. Before making a leading impact in the Norwegian black metal scene, Darkthrone was a death metal band in a few demos (including this one, Thulcandra) and their debut album Soulside Journey. This is a more of an early standard death metal track with a melodic section in the middle, in contrast to the surrounding melodic/technical death metal tracks. Still I find it pretty great.

Anata – “Under Azure Skies” (from “The Infernal Depths of Hatred”, 1998)

3.5/5. Anata's brand of technical death metal was something I enjoyed a few years ago, but somehow I can now no longer live up to the glory of that time.

Amon Amarth – “Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds” (from “Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds” E.P., 1996)

4/5. Ditto with this one, although the beginning is quite epic and boosts up some points in greatness.

Epiphanic Truth – “The Truth of the Beast” (from “Dark Triad: Bitter Psalms to a Sordid Species”, 2021)

4.5/5. Skipping ahead a few tracks, this one has an abstract structure for an under-10-minute track. Throughout the first half, they let their brutal frenzy run loose. Then it ends with a few minutes of soft creepy jazz.

Neuropath – “My Bleeding Mortality” (from “Desert of Excruciation” demo, 1995)

5/5. A killer piece of 90s brutal death metal from NSW, Australia. The guitar talent really shines through. Nicely done, Daniel!

January 01, 2024 11:44 AM

Neuropath – “My Bleeding Mortality” (from “Desert of Excruciation” demo, 1995)

5/5. A killer piece of 90s brutal death metal from NSW, Australia. The guitar talent really shines through. Nicely done, Daniel!

Quoted Shadowdoom9 (Andi)

Thanks mate. I've always considered "My Bleeding Mortality" to be the best of the demo tracks too.

January 05, 2024 10:29 AM

Still a quiet week at work this week so managed to get through all of the playlists for my clans before end of first week of Jan.  From this list I still confess to being in a bit of a rut with death metal of late so I did skip a few tracks (Epiphanic Truth, Pyrrhon, Amon Amarth, Anata and Sacrilege all got short shrift).  My positives came in the form of Edge of Sanity, Setentia,  Neuropath and Death.  I have zero time for Cattle Decapitation though, have never understood the hype around the band at all and this track did nothing to change that opinion.