The Death 'n' Roll Thread

First Post June 29, 2022 07:53 AM

Six Feet Under - "Graveyard Classics IV: The Number of the Priest" (2016)

Former Cannibal Corpse frontman Chris Barnes seems to cop an awful lot of flack on social media & not without due cause either because the dude is clearly an ignorant, immature, uneducated dickhead. There's really no question about that. But do his band Six Feet Under really deserve to be labelled as one of the worst death metal bands of all time? Hhhmmmm.... if you trust the general consensus on some of his more recent releases then you would have to think so, wouldn't you? Well after seeing him inexplicably posting a very embarrassing & concerning selfie of him holding a gun on Facebook this week I decided  to see if the band's poor reputation was warranted or not so I reached for Six Feet Under's most universally ridiculed release in 2016's "Graveyard Classics IV: The Number of the Priest" (a collection of eleven Judas Priest & Iron Maiden cover versions) to see what all the fuss was about.

The first thing you'll notice with this record is that there's been very little attempt to vary the instrumental approach from the originals. The session musicians Chris has recruited for the project are all more than competent (particularly the shredding lead guitarist) & in truth they pull off some pretty decent replications of these heavy metal classics but I have to question what the point of it all is if you're not going to give it your own slant. The production job is somewhat confusing too in that it seems to consciously steer the guitars to the back of the mix which makes the whole thing sound a lot like a karaoke version of these tracks. The rhythm section generally tend to dominate the guitars which is hardly what these great metal tunes are all about but I suspect the reason for this is to ensure that Chris' monotonous death growls are highlighted as the focal point at all times. That's a real shame because Chris' vocals don't suit the vast majority of these tracks in any way, shape or form. In fact, he really does manage to butcher tracks like "Invader", "Never Satisfied", "Flash Of The Blade" & "The Evil That Men Do" where the higher register vocal melodies were a major drawcard for the originals. He's a lot more successful on the more rocking tracks (the Paul Dianno-fronted Maiden tracks for example) but I'd suggest that only Judas Priest's "Genocide" reaches any sort of consistent level of enjoyment. Chris sounds completely disinterested a lot of the time to be honest, kinda like he's phoned this recording in simply to fulfill a label obligation & it's this reason that the album is so universally panned.

In saying all that though, I can't help but get some form of enjoyment out of the instrumental aspects of the album as I've grown up with these songs from such a young age. I even have to admit that I quite enjoy the version of "Genocide" I mentioned earlier & find it to be a pretty decent example of the death 'n' roll subgenre. Unfortunately though, it's impossible to deny the big elephant in the room & his filthy dreadlocks. I can't say that this record is anything like the 0.5/5 that almost all critics seem to tag it with because there are way worse bands out there that can't even play their instruments. I did have to have a good hard think about whether I could justify the score I've gone with though as this is a completely redundant & unnecessary release if I've ever heard one.

2.5/5